SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Runs Aground With Person Dead On Board

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  eherlihy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Interesting story. Keep in mind that people die at every conceivable place you can think of - in front of their PC is pretty common these days, in the shower, on the toilet, at breakfast, yep, they tend to just die anywhere they please. ;) My sister said I should sail single handed to the Florida Keys because I'm old and would be alone. she asked "What would you do if you were out in the ocean and had a fatal heart attack?" Well, I would just die, same as if I had a fatal heart attack anyplace else - fatal is fatal and you're dead - no two ways about it, alone or with someone, you're still dead. Damned, who woulda thunk it? ;)

Gary :cool:

#10 ·
I know of a musician who died at a music festival, on stage. Probably unsettling for the fans of course, but he was older and could have died that night driving home. People die eventually, and if you are old enough and are going to die anyway, is it so bad if you are doing what you love.

#11 ·
My father died recently at 95. I thought a lot about it. To die out there, in your element, like a real man of old, would be a better way to go for me than gradually wasting away at a retirement home, forgetting most of your life and most people you knew and loved. Dignity of death has all but disappeared these days.
Fair winds, old sailor.

#12 · (Edited)
I've been criticized for sailing singlehanded at my age (70).

I've been criticized in the past for roadracing motorcycles at a relatively advanced age (I quit after a bad crash at Daytona when I was 65).

I knew a man who was probably 10 years older than me, who finally died roadracing his motorcycle. The cause of death? He had a heart attack going down the back straight.
I'm jealous.

No body here gets out alive, so why worry about the manner of one's demise? Style points count.

#15 ·
I was the charter "checkout" captain for a guy who was 92, and his sweetie who was in her late 80's. They had chartered a Hunter 41. He knew how to sail, but couldn't get around the boat like I can... I stayed with them for 2 days, reviewed some of the systems with them, and then set them off on their own. The boat was returned safely with no hands lost. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.