SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MD7A Recommended Work while she is out?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SloopJonB 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a volvo MD7a which is soon to be installed in my sailboat (which had a Md7a before). She is raw water cooled. Before installing the engine I am doing some work (which would be a lot harder in tight quarters). I know next to nothing about the history of the engine. I know she runs; all fluids look good, but who knows.... I have some extra parts as well from the previous engine, so I believe I could keep this engine running for some years.
This is what I am doing before installing her:
- replacing thermostat (which looked really bad) and trying to clean all the gunk out of the thermostat head (found a piece of an impeller...)
- Replacing impeller on water pump (does look fine but this is a regular maintenance anyway)
- The exhaust pipe on the other engine is in much better shape (= less rust) so I will move that one over
- replacing oil and fuel filters
- Removing as much rust as possible and repainting... yes, purely aesthetic, but I do believe that one takes better care of something that looks good, so it might in the end be more than just aesthetic.

OK, here is my question. All of the above are no-brainers to me, but am I missing something crucial, that is only possible when the engine is out and that I will regret a year from now?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a product called I believe Red Lyme that you should consider running thru the water passages of the block to clean her out.
Only other thing I can tell you is begin saving money for a new engine :(

#3 ·
Thanks misfits!
I see, that is probably RYDLYME. Sounds like it could not hurt, although I am always somewhat hesitant about any kind of cleaning product, since it could actually dislodge a chunk of debris that gets stuck somewhere else. Since I have the system open, that should not be an issue, however.
Related: is there a recommended product for "flushing" the fuel system? I think this is done through some additive to the diesel, so it can be done anytime I suppose.
And yes, a new engine is eventually needed. Yet, with the extra parts and some maintenance I hope to squeeze some more years out of this old beast.

#4 ·
Clean, fresh diesel is all you need to flush the fuel system. New filters and draining any water from the bottom of the tank first of course.

You will hear both sides of the story re: additives - they are essential and they are a scam. I figure it can't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.