SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Headsail...well sorta!

896 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NewportNewbie 
#1 ·
Well not exactly a "new" headsail. last year in a wind storm my 155 light air sail got ripped off the furler. I took all the sails I had on the boat to the local North Sail loft and they pulled out the #1 Genoa and said this is a pretty good sail! It was hardly used. The problem was it was not set up for a furler. It also had some minor little rips in leach of the sail. They said, no problem! They converted it to a furler sail by putting a #6 tape on it and did a leach tune up. I have had it on the boat for months but have not hoisted it because there isn't a UV cover on it and they said keep it furled on the boat with no cover would kill the sail pretty fast. So I was planning on doing done sailing for a few days do I hoisted it an tested it out. WOW! The combo of the fresh sail and the freshly painted bottom made the boat move VERY nicely! The 155 was bigger and this was probably cut down just a tad for the furler tape and leach tune up. Visually it looks like probably a 135-145. It's a lighter cloth than the 125 on the boat and so in lighter winds it feels pretty good. In 8 knott winds I had the boat up to 4 knots where in the past I resisted sailing in light winds because the boat just didn't move well. I'm looking into buying a jib sock so I can keep the sail hoisted on the furler but now I take it down during the week and hoist it on the weekends. Next up is to pull out that old spinnaker and get something like the ATN Tacker and fly the spinnaker without the pole. For now though I am not opposed to sailing in the lighter stuff. Before it was 12 knots or more. Now 6-12 is still doable for sailing! Here are a few clips of Cuajota in about 6-8 knots of wind.

See less See more
1 3
#2 ·
Nice find. I think there are a lot of sails out there with some life left in them. We were looking for a "new" mainsail last fall. Ended up buying a kit and made it over the winter. Quite a project but I'd do it again.

Tighten your mainsail luff. Better performance. Large diagonal wrinkles give it away.

#3 ·
The new head sail looks great. Ya gotta love that high cut foot. I had the same comment as DonS, If you can't tighten the main halyard then use a Cunningham (ie; smart pig). Also loosen your out haul in those lighter winds for better sail shape . the horizontal pull a long the boom. The boat looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.