Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Does that count ?

I've sought out the green flash on 6 bareboat trips in the Carribean that I've skippered. Due to the skippering thing with up to 4 couples on board, often I've become pre-occupied with one issue or another until it's too late. Or there were too many clouds. Or there was one of those big lumpy volcanic islands in the way.

On my last trip a few years ago we were in the Grenadines. One afternoon I actually managed to sequester myself with a beer on deck for a nice safe 20 minute window for the event. Things looked really good this time; this was my big chance. That was until my wife showed up in the last couple of minutes. Then she asked me some question and I instinctively glanced at her briefly to answer. As I turn3ed back to look at the sunset again, she blurts out, "Wow, that was great ! Did you see that ? I just saw the flash !".

Oh well, that was a few years ago without another trip on the schedule. WAH!!

On the other hand I've experience seeing the green flush. That's when we're going between islands and I send everyone below to pump out there individual holding tanks. It looks sort of like a pairs of tiny depth charges blossoming into greenish circles spaced off the stern of a 50 foot four head bareboat going 8 or 9 knots. Does that count for anything ?

Last edited by captnnero; 08-15-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2006

lawriegubb is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been ocean sailing for 40 years and I'm buggered if I know. I've never seen the so called flash.Countless sunsets later not a one!
Not very urban Myth?
Old 08-22-2006

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
I can also testify to the reality of the green flash ,saw 2, couple years apart, 1st one middle of N. Atlantic summer time, 2nd one south of Cuba,i day out of Gitmo. Crewed on a realblue water boat back then About 800'
75' beam 35' draft about 17000 tons. 1 day even that boat had green water washing the main deck. Green flash no urban myth, not even a sea story, this ain't no ****. Art.
Old 08-29-2006

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
Green Flash

I've never seen one. But, I've been IN one! Several years ago, my insignificant other and I were in Nassau. We decided to take a glass bottom boat tour just for the fun of it. By the way, she was no Doris Day! The day was overcast and we were prepared to be disappointed. On our way to "Cannon ball reef" we were over the white sand that the Bahamas are so famous for. Suddenly, the clouds parted enough to allow a sunbeam to break through right over our boat. The sunlight pierced the water, bounced off the pure white sand and reflected back through the glass bottom hull. Suddenly everything turned emerald green. The boat, the passengers, our clothes everything ! The best I can come close to describing it is that it was like being inside an emerald gemstone; like a fly in amber. It did't last more than a few seconds, just long enough for it to be an experience that I will never forget. It compares with being caught in a lightning snowstorm on the crest of Wolf Creek Pass and being lost in the jungles of Tikal with monkeys throwing monkey **** at you. But those are other adventures.
Old 08-29-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I've seen it only once in the Marquesas Keys. There were 4 of us watching the sunset, my wife missed it the rest of us saw it - a brief lime geen line just above the horizon. I believe, I believe!!!!
Old 08-29-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
It was a beautiful evening. The sun was just touching the horizon and I was sure that finally after all those years I was going to get lucky and see the green flash. Just at the right moment this damn UFO dropped from the sky and hovered there a few feet above the surface of the water right between us and the sunset. So, needless to say, we missed it again. I'm pretty sure the pilot was green though. Does that count?
Old 08-30-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well knot,

It was probably piloted by bob marley. You were obviously smoking something dear to his heart. Too bad you were not abducted...
Old 08-30-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Well knot,

It was probably piloted by bob marley. You were obviously smoking something dear to his heart. Too bad you were not abducted...
Now thats just mean CD.
Old 08-30-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
You poor "right coast" unfortunates. Hang out in PB (pacific beach) or MB (mission beach) around sunset enough and there it will momentarily be.

Sit on the seawall on the board walk (concret walk actually) or hell just get a view table at the resturant of the most appropriate name!

"Citysearch Editorial Profile -- By Maren Dougherty
Shrimp, fish and king crab legs reign at this waterfront bar and grill on North Pacific Beach.

In Short
Every table in this on-the-boardwalk restaurant has an ocean view, and many claim to see a "Green Flash" at sunset when the tip of the sun meets the horizon and fades from view. The casual eatery's menu is also from the sea, marked by daily fish selections in different preparations such as charbroiled, blackened or grilled. Locals often come for breakfast, available until mid-afternoon, or stop in after a late night in PB."

The name of this establishment? Why.. "The Green Flash" of course!

Dewey
Old 08-30-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
My neighbor just got a Porsche (presumably with all the money she saved by not owning a house). The car is emerald color and the license plate is "GRNFLSH."

She said only her fellow liveaboards get the joke.