Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006

jnj is on a distinguished road
Help identify this boat manufacturer.

On Barnegat Bay, NJ this weekend I watched a swift cutter-rigged sloop about 32+ft move easily past other sailboats in a light breeze. There was a single outlined letter " R" (like this typeface) on the sail. Anyone have an idea to the manufacturer of this boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Ranger 33 perhaps?
Old 08-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Did it look like this. That's a Ranger 33. This is a picture of a Ranger 23, with its sails up...and it appears to have an "R" on it like the one you describe.

Gary Mull designed several models of the Ranger line, including the Ranger 22, 23, 26, 28, 29, 32, 33 and 37, so it could be the 29, 32, 33, or 37, depending on how good your estimate of the length was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-14-2006

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Could it have been a RAWSON.
I have seen that "R" somewhere on the net and it would have been on a Rawson site somewhere.
Old 08-14-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A Rawson wouldn't have passed the other boats as described in the first post.

Also, the Rawson sail has a 3R on it, in block italics, not a roman font, like the Ranger "R".

Lastly, the boat was estimated at 32 feet, and the Rawsons were 30' full-keel boats displacing 12000 lbs. Not the kind to be moving along very well, unless it was really blowing. The Ranger 32, at 9500 lbs. is much more likely the boat he saw.

Last point in favor of the Rangers, IIRC—some were cutter-rigged, I don't believe any of the Rawsons were.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-14-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I am a bit confused by the description. Was the boat a sloop or a cutter?

Ranger never built a cutter, so if the boat was a cutter, its not a Ranger.

Raider built a 33 footer. Raiders were kit built and so an owner may have gone to a cutter rig. Barnegat is a little shallow for either 33 footer.

If it was an older boat it could have been a Rhodes Swiftsure which would have had Seafarer's reflected sailboat logo in front of the R.

If it was low slung with long overhands, it may have been a Universal Rule 'R' boat.

Other wise I don't know off hand....

Jeff
Old 08-14-2006

dzaveski is on a distinguished road
A sloop rigged ranger 33 could be converted quite easily to a cutter. This would be nice for crusing when the wind picks up.
Old 08-14-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I think all you guys have it wrong:

It is a Rawson 30. Our Eastern European friend realized there were no stupid Americans to sail his boat over for him.

The 'R' on the sail does NOT stand for Rawson, as some less knowledgeable sailors would have you believe. It stands for Repossessed.

Off into the Sunrise sails the vessell... and so ends the story. And just think, SUrfesq, Sailingdog, camaraderie, Jeff H, et all... if you had not been so critical, this could have been you.
Old 08-15-2006
Telstar 28

CruisingDad- You're evil... funny, but evil...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-24-2006

jnj is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the input, I visited the sites suggested however I'm afraid none of the manufacturers logos match what I remember. It was cutter rigged, about 30+ft and had a lifted tapering stern similar to that on an Alden not a crisp flat transom as do the Rangers. I wish I had payed closer attention. Now I'm thinking the sail may have been embroidered with the owners personal identity; if that is a practice by sailors who customize their boats with added rigging and refinements. Thanks again, The Barnegat Bay is our home waters where we sail our Watkins 29 I will post again if I see her.