Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006

limber is on a distinguished road
cruising costs

Finally,can afford the long awaited boat, time and dream !
At 57, healthy and reasonably fit, with the kids doing their own thing, I am almost there. Although I have done some monohull sailing (Day Skipper RYA)but have limited experience, I am considering a live-aboard, cruising catamaran, about 5-7 years old,38-45feet (My budget allowance)
However, I have no idea how much above the purchase price it's going to cost me to operate and live aboard. Was thinking of the Med to gain some experience (I live in Scotland) and if I like it and can do it...maybe further afield perhaps SE Asia. Can anyone advise me (Apart from not getting a Cat !!) Appreciate your help.

Topic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A lot depends on the lifestyle you want to live. Things like ...at anchor, or at marinas? Eating out, or eating in? These are the types of things you need to consider when trying to form a budget. As well as money for maintaince, insurance, fees and permits, etc., as they are your more basic needs and are more of a fixed nature. If you check the "Recommended Reading" thread, you'll find a host of books that deal with the subject, as well as some good articles right here on site.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2006

limber is on a distinguished road
cruising costs

Thanks John. Fairly simple lifestyle really. Beer as opposed to champagne, a whisky (Scotch of course) rather than a cocktail, Ford, not Ferrari.....You know the kind of thing.

How much would you budget over and above living expenses, for boat costs, insurance, repairs etc.
Old 08-17-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
For maintainence, start with about 10% of the boat cost per year; then adjust up or down depending on things like: how much you can do yourself vs pay a boatyard to do; how much offshore time; how new or old the boat & complexity of systems. Insurance will vary a lot with your level of experience & where you sail, can't help you much with that one.
Old 08-18-2006

tilemeister is on a distinguished road
We myself, wife & parents have budgeted $45,000 a year for boat expences(boat is payed off) and living well for a slow trip around the world or untill we get bored. This figure does not include med insurance and boat prep.
Old 08-18-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends on what you're going to be doing, and what part of the world you'll be sailing/cruising/living in.

It might be worth going to noonsite.com and taking a look there. It should have info on costs in different areas and such.

10% of the value of the boat per year on average should be pretty good for a rough maintenance cost, but there will be other costs that aren't included in that figure.

New sails, new rigging, new engine or transmission are probably costs that aren't covered, it really depends on whether you replaced the rig and engine on the boat before leaving...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.