SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Motor mounts/alignment - Crealock 34

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  carlwk3c 
#1 ·
I'm seeking guidance from those with experience in replacing motor mounts on a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, with 3JH2E engine, Kanzaki gearbox, and "drive saver"
I understand the mounts themselves run between $700-800 per set. It is what it is.
I'm trying to assess the practicality of doing the remove/replace myself and just paying a pro to do the alignment the first time to save labor cost.
Any comments, narratives of your experience/methods, etc. Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Carl

#2 · (Edited)
Havent done it on a PSC; but, many other similar boats.
Suggest you paint on "prussian blue" and with a sharp awl 'scribe' along each mount and mount component before you remove it - adjusting nuts, mounting to the bed bolts, etc. This will leave an imprint of exactly where the mounts and thier jackscrew, etc. position are located and which can be very useful in the preliminary setting up of the new mounts. In this way the new mounts will be 'fairly close' to the alignment of the old mounts and may save HOURS of fiddling with a 23mm wrench and a pry bar in tight spaces.

You dont have to remove the engine .... loosen the drive saver and push the propshaft back out of the way, just use a 4X4, etc. across the companion way, etc. to which you attach a hefty come-along to lift either the front or the rear the engine (a few inches) at a time. Remove only two front or two rear mounts at a time; use the scribe marks in the prussian-blue to relocate the new mounts to the engine bed. Set the lower of the two jackscrew nuts (per mount) to match the prussian-blue on the old jack screws.

All the rest is to get the trans. flange to shaft flange (or drive saver) to be parallel and centered to at least 0,003" (I prefer 0,001" or bettet") when using a feeler gage between the flanges.

Amazon.com: Permatex 80038 Prussian Blue, .75 fl oz Tube: [email]Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com[/email]/images/I/41jWKDZVCEL.@@AMEPARAM@@41jWKDZVCEL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.