SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My Marina

5K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Anchorbend 
#1 · (Edited)
A while back I started a discussion , how do you like your Marina ? There were a lot of replies mostly favorable . My Marina , not so much really as we are treated like the enemy . Here is the latest . The manager decided we need new parking stickers . OK fine , so we were mailed a letter stating so . In the letter we were asked to up date our info , fine again but we were asked something new and I know it's new because we have been there 30yrs.(yikes!) now they want our SS# . I feel there is no reason for this and I especially do not trust them with that type of info ,as in the past they have claimed to have lost my proof of insurance paper . We have to have a seperate insurance rider stating that the Marina is covered , I forget the amount , it doesn't cost that much extra but each year they want a copy of the renewal and they loose it . Here is the good part , in order to get this new sticker we have to sign their letter stating that we will not hold them responsible for any damage . There is really nothing we can do about this , but what do you think , does your Marina do anything like this ?

#27 ·
Good idea no need to really hand out your SSN to everybody.

Reminds me of a time I used to work for a transportation company that we would have to call in the morning to dispatch to check in. I was working at a different base once and was asked by the dispatcher there to give him my license # when calling in. At 430 in the morning i was a little testy and asked why, because I had never done that before. He explained company policy. After a few days I realized how lazy and disinterested this person was at doing his job so i would make up new numbers each day and sometimes add extras or remove some. He never caught on.

#3 ·
Nope - they require insurance but don't check if you actually have it. They provide probably the best marina in the city, full services except no mast tower or pumpout and everything from the seabed up is new within the past few years.

They really make you pay for it though - approx. $18/foot/month. Electricity is extra and they upcharge for that, don't just pass along the cost.

#4 ·
Absolutely no way on the SS thing; none of their business!
As for the blanket waiver, I only wish it was that easy.
Please just sign here agreeing that you will not hold me liable for anything while you are sailing on my boat! Fantastic, now I don't need charter insurance any more.
Sign whatever they like, but if you have the better lawyer when the time comes, guess who will have to pay?
It's a totally futile exercise and I can't imagine why their lawyer bothered to draw it up.
Good luck though. I doubt I'd have lasted 3 years, let alone 30. City Marina in Charleston may cost more, but at least they treat their slip holders like adults, not idiots.

#5 ·
FarCry , yes I like that and that is what I intend to do . But why do you think they want my SS#? The only thing I can think of is that if I caused any damage and then tried to sneak off, it would be a way to track me down .
Mr. B what is a mast tower ? And no pump out is a bummer . And yes that does seem to be a bit high on the rent .
As far as getting a new parking sticker , actually I'm not required to have one . I just would not be able to use the Marina parking lot overnight . I think , on the other hand I'm pretty sure once they found out I didn't fork over the info I would be called on the carpet . And offered to find a new Marina as they do when I complain about something or they loose my insurance papers .

#6 ·
capta , agreed . It makes no sense . Especially when they do stuff like this .. Maintenance was working on my buddies slip , so they untied his bow , it drifted into the dock box , was left like that for a few hrs. and made some nasty scratches ( he was LP'd dark green over white) basically Marina refused to do anything about it .

#12 ·
Intrusive questions get worse and worse every year. Give them NOTHING because once you let your info out, it's public and will get tapped by hackers. There is no such thing as "safe" electronic information. Give out your ss # and you can be sure it will wind up on a database in China or the USSR (sorry Russia:) Example: Recently, the grocery store wants to see/scan my driver's license when I buy beer. UH sorry, NO. I'M 65 FOR GOD'S SAKE. Are you bloody blind? I left the beer on the counter. You have to fight to maintain any privacy. It should be illegal to even ask for your ss #.

Reactions: Markwesti
#13 ·
They want your SSN so they can do one or both of two things:
1. Perform a credit check on you.
2. Use it to pursue recovery of any balance you owe if you leave.
It's possible they are using a database that uses SSN as a key for individuals but it's almost certainly one of the two things above.

I am at Anchorage Marina, Baltimore, MD, an established marina; I think it's 30 years old. Slip owners sign an agreement, have a credit check and must have the marina on their insurance as a named beneficiary. We have to register our car with them for a parking pass. That's it. Other than that, pay your bills, you're good.

#14 ·
I am at Anchorage Marina, Baltimore, MD, an established marina; Slip owners sign an agreement, have a credit check and must have the marina on their insurance as a named beneficiary. We have to register our car with them for a parking pass. That's it. Other than that, pay your bills, you're good.
Why on earth would you agree to those terms?

My marina is NOT extending me credit and has no reason to run a credit check on me. I've always paid an annual fee as either a lump sum or in a two part installment. The second part is usually due early in the season, long before my first 50% payment is used up -- so no credit is extended.

And by naming them as beneficiary on your insurance the marina has to sign off on ANY claim against your insurance - even if it didn't take place in the marina. They are also involved in the process if you are having your boat repaired as part of an insurance claim. This opens you up to all kinds of potential complications and grief.

They have a right to know your boat is insured and to see a copy of your insurance dec page. Nothing else.

Slips are readily available on the Chesapeake. I would walk out the door on those terms. What's next, should you submit to a background check to prove you're not a criminal? A drug test because you're operating a boat in their marina?

What happened to your right to privacy?

#15 · (Edited)
Andrew , yes they are very heavy handed when it comes to their rent check . We stay here because it's close , as in ten minutes from the shack . And actually the rent is decent $410. for a 30' slip . To the immediate south of us it's all power because of bridges . to the immediate north , rent is less and slips are wide open . but that area is kind of gritty and you are way back in the channel , it is the Long Beach / Los Angles port area . I wouldn't mind going there as some of my friends are back in there and lil'ol Eddie's boat yard is there . But Ms. Westi will have none of it .
Jim , I hear ya about the Doc. When I go in for my new parking sticker I will broach the subject about this new info but I will only be talking to the desk person , they are nice people , but they don't really offer comment on stuff like that . And yes it is a city Marina ,yes they do report to a city manager and I have heard their are a few that are sympathetic to the boater . But this stuff keeps happening along with a yearly 3% rate hike . All in all though it is a nice Marina . Thanks for the comments guys , I think I'll go in tomorrow .. Keep you posted .

#19 ·
---- way back in the channel , it is the Long Beach / Los Angles port area . I wouldn't mind going there as some of my friends are back in there and lil'ol Eddie's boat yard is there . But Ms. Westi will have none of it .
----
Mark - can you get Ms. Westi to deal with the paperwork and use her social security number lol?

#18 ·
How can anyone do that? Berth fees here are a lump sum at the start of the year and hoists are "No cash, no splash".
It don't get cold here, it's a month to month tenancy, my boat hasn't been out of the water for over 4 years, when people tire of paying $500/month to berth a $3000 boat, they just leave it.
I wish more people would refuse these onerous demands, then the waitlist for a 40' slip wouldn't be 10 years long.

#20 ·
I am not sure when Social Security number became such a top secret thing. When I was college in the 80's it was our college ID number and was printed on our id, and it used to be printed on our drivers licenses, at least in Ohio. It used to be a pretty public thing, just an ID number. I would not be happy with asking for more info. Around here you have to pay for the whole season ahead of time so I don't see any reason for them to run a credit check anyway.

#24 ·
Yes, it used to be common. Some colleges may still do it. Before the internet, there was a much lower chance of anyone using your ss number for anything devious. Everything is now accomplished on line, not in person. Back before the net impersonation required makeup and a disguise:)

#21 ·
The increasingly common phenomenon of being asked to provide your social security number in many of life's transactions is an unnecessary risk of your ability to protect your identity, and an invasion of your privacy. Whenever I am asked for my S.S. number, I always ask the requester when I'll be receiving my first paycheck from them. They look at me funny, then I explain what the Social Security number's real function is. If necessary, I then help educate them on when a citizen is required to furnish their S.S. number, and when a merchant or service provider does NOT have the right to insist on receiving a customer's S.S. #.

The following is taken from the S.S. administration's website:

"At its inception, the SSN's only purpose was to uniquely identify U.S. workers, enabling employers to submit accurate reports of covered earnings for use in administering benefits under the new Social Security program. That is still the primary purpose for the SSN."

The entire article can be found here:

The Story of the Social Security Number

Here's a helpful page with a pretty good list of when you DO have to provide the number; it's pretty comprehensive. If you read it carefully, you'll notice that ALL of the instances apply to financial transactions that involve the U.S. Government and the citizen. Your S.S. # is the IRS's "identifier" for you. Basically, if you are not conducting a financial transaction, either income or reception of government aid or benefit or payment of wages to someone ELSE that is reportable, you do NOT have to supply your S.S. #.

https://www.allclearid.com/blog/when-you-can-say-no-to-providing-your-social-security-number

Even furnishing the last four digits is an identity risk. Read the ssa.gov article re/ the construction of that number; a motivated criminal could reconstruct your number if they can find out your birth location and date.

Sooo.. no. Don't give it to anyone unless they're your employer or will be paying you taxable, reportable interest, dividends, or other forms of income, or you're receiving or applying for benefits from a government source. I always remain pleasant, but if I'm pushed I simply state that I am not legally required to provide it and therefore decline to do so, that I do not believe they are legally allowed to require me to provide my S.S. # in order to be their customer, and that I'd be willing to help them learn more about this if they wish. Which government agency would they like me to contact on their behalf?

By then, they usually cave... <grin>.

Anyone who needs your S.S. #, unless you've just been hired by a new employer or are applying for a loan or government benefit, or opening a new mutual fund/IRA/other investment, already has it.

Something like that. There are more specifics, many of which I admittedly am unaware, but that's the gist of it. Hopefully, some of the legal eagles on this forum can set me straight if I'm in error.

Best..

Barry

#22 ·
I was actually just thinking positive thoughts about my marina. We pay for the season, not by month, and a "no cash, no splash" policy for launching. It's really a full service place, the exact opposite of the marina where I spent the last 14 years. At my last place, there were no services at all; just bathrooms. At my new marina, it's like a country club. There's a pool, restaurant/bar, chandlery, carpenter's shop, paint shop, engine shop, laundry, showers, pavillions, picnic tables, gas grills, charcoal grills, events, parties, etc. Everyone is very accomodating. It costs a lot more than my last marina, but I'm finding its worth it.

#25 ·
bblument , thank you for the all the info , and those links . I totally agree with everything .
socalc25 , bad choice of (gritty) words on my part , sorry . Willmington marinas have a long history , even before WWII . I love it back there . End of the yr. I'll be there at Eddie's doing my bottom job and a rewire on my mast , hope to see you at the cafe . I'll owe you a beer .
Well today dawned bright and sunny for me and I needed to get some paper work together before I go to the Marina office so I didn't go today , hopefully tomorrow . I did however talk to my insurance broker this morning , well apparently I made her morning ,she took a while to quit laughing . She did tell me the city wavier wasn't worth the paper it was on , and although she didn't tell me to fake the SS# , she said they had no right to ask and don't give it to them . I think I'll just fake the SS# , get my sticker , and try to stay off the radar .
Oh, one more thing as marina slip renters we pay a once a yr. property tax . Actually I don't blame the marina manager for all this stuff as it is a city marina I believe it is the city managers .

#26 ·
Oh, one more thing as marina slip renters we pay a once a yr. property tax . Actually I don't blame the marina manager for all this stuff as it is a city marina I believe it is the city managers .
Whaaaaat??????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Generally property taxes are paid by the property owner.

I've heard of property tax as a line item with commercial properties but not for residential.

I'm not sure how a boat slip is defined in California...

#28 ·
For decades many of us were blissfully unaware of the "propriatory interest tax" on our slips because the marina operator paid them. Then about 2008 with the economic collapse new contracts appeared shifting the property tax burden to slip renters in places that were not already doing so. Based on the surface area of the water in your slip my 13' by 35' slip is assessed at $10,000 so my tax is about $100 a year. So I pay property tax to the county on property I rent from the county. If I could BUY the slip for $10,000 I'd buy the whole marina, it costs me $7644 a year just to rent my little piece.

#29 ·
It's their marina, they make the rules. It's your choice to abide by the rules or go elsewhere.

That said, here's the other half of my two cents:

Make it easy on yourself. Write a SSN that is not yours. If you are worried about getting caught, make a 7 look like a 1, a 4 look like a 9, etc.

Strike or amend any clause in the waiver that you disagree with.

Or just sign it. I've done lots of adventures with an attorney and whenever we are required to sign a liability-waiver, we go ahead and sign it; he says they won't hold up in court. If somebody does something that harms you, they have to pay, regardless of the waiver. If it was no fault of theirs, they don't have to pay. Either way, it comes down to convincing the jury or arbitration board whose fault it was. Confirm this with a lawyer who is familiar with local tort law.

#30 ·
Here is the good part , in order to get this new sticker we have to sign their letter stating that we will not hold them responsible for any damage . There is really nothing we can do about this , but what do you think , does your Marina do anything like this ?
It sounds like they are talking about damage to your car while parked. That seems pretty standard. They are not going to be responsible for dings/dents/theft. They would not be able to escape liability if their actions caused damage (like run it over with a forklift).

#31 · (Edited)
I appreciate all the interest in my thread here you guys , thanks for all the replies . Still haven't gone to the harbormasters office . Kind of like if you could put off a root canal, just joking . Piece of cake . But yes we do pay property tax , $ 80. a yr. we are in Los Angles county and that bill comes from LA , nothing to do with Long Beach marina we have been paying that one since late 80's .
snash , the waiver that I have to sign does not mention the parking lot but I'm sure it would be covered by the legal verbage , but no they are emphasizing any city employee and our boat .

#32 ·
I think you may have missed one piece in my post: I am not a slip renter, I am a slip owner. Anchorage Marina is technically a co-op marina, with a board and so on. We pay a maintenance fee and electricity, other than that we own the slip, or at least the rights to it. So perhaps a different deal than people who rent annually or month to month.

#33 ·
i lived in those gritty marinas many years. there is nothing wrong with em. it is a place to stash a boat. yes many have died and left trust accounts for boat slippage-- one of main reasons for no slip availability in so cal.
go to cabrillo if you donot want gritty. go to shoreline marina if you donot want gritty. the rest have character and are traditional ..... the non gritty marinas have many year wait lists.
i moved my boat i had just bought (my first boat!!!) into lighthouse yacht landings in 1990. it was grittier then.

#34 ·
Make a mistake on the SS#

Sign the waiver "with objection" written on it.

LOL!! One thing that gets harder as you get older is dealing with idiots. The people who run the bureaucracy are someone's brother - in - law or" Aunt Stella"... So, I'd also consider ignoring and just leaving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.