SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Finally back on the water!

599 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  DivingOtter 
#1 ·
Have been having a lot of back issues from a combat Injury but I'm finally back. My boat was splashed in April after some hesitation on to splash or sit on the hard. All summer was riddled with problems as the second sail of the season had the "V" bar through the mast at the spreaders snap which led to a month long wait of having the mast dropped, machining 2 new V bars and while she was in pieces decided to do some general maintenance like breaking down the FlexFurler soup to nuts and inspecting every component. When we finally had the mast stepped and set was having issues with the furler drum lifting out of the bell. Turns out the rigger we hired didn't know jack and had too much tension on the forestay, as well as keeping the rigging WAY too loose. I'm talking 15 lower and 18 upper indicated on the loose gauge. Got those issues sorted out and happy to be back and sailing. Took the wife out for her first sail in years only to have the 10kt forecast jump to 20 gusting to 30 and as luck would have it, I snapped the furler line trying to reduce the jib. Quick jury rig and we kept sailing. I'm starting to focus on some longer trips since the fall is coming up. Great to be back on the water!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.