Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006

TexasSailor61 is on a distinguished road
New Old Dolphin 24 and need info

Howdy all. I jsut picked up a Yankee Dolphin 24 that is in ready-to-repair condiition. It is all there, spars, sails and standing rigging and all that seems to be in excellent shape. The hull and fittings, however have been neglected and left in outside storage in Texas.

Much sanding and painting to do, as well as replace the toerail, grabrails and other teak items. But, compared to other restorations, this will be a cake walk. No blisters on the underside and the boat is very sound and structurally intact.

A little classic beauty for me to swelter over. But hey, beats watching TV.

If anyone has any info, bulletins, schematics, sailplans, blueprints, etc...let me know. I'd be happy to pay shipping to get copies even.

Thanks

TS61
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2006

See, I told you nobody knows anything about it.
Old 08-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good Old Boat had a good article on the Dolphins earlier this year IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-22-2006

Thanks very much. I had heard about the article...Guess I should order a back issue. Thanks again

tw
Old 08-23-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I beleive that the Yankee Dolphin is a near sistership to the Pacific Dolphin which I know a little better. Both are an S&S designed keel-centerboard boats. Originally designed as an early MORC race boats, these boats offered good sailing ability and accomodations for their size and era. Build quality was quite good for the era. The hull form was very close to the larger Tartan 27 of that same era.

I may actually have original literature for the Pacific Dolphin. I'll have to look this evening. What specifically do you want to know?

Jeff
Old 08-23-2006

TAK is on a distinguished road
I believe Pract. Sailor did a comparison on them.. you might pick up a fact or two about it.. congrats sounds like ya got good bones..
Old 08-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H
I beleive that the Yankee Dolphin is a near sistership to the Pacific Dolphin which I know a little better. Both are an S&S designed keel-centerboard boats. Originally designed as an early MORC race boats, these boats offered good sailing ability and accomodations for their size and era. Build quality was quite good for the era. The hull form was very close to the larger Tartan 27 of that same era.

I may actually have original literature for the Pacific Dolphin. I'll have to look this evening. What specifically do you want to know?

Jeff
Yup, sure is. I got hooked up with a gy who used to have one and has a website dedicated to the boat. He has since sold it but is intending to maintain the site.

I think the GOB article will fill in a lot of blanks; I did order a back issue. The fellow with the website e-mailed me some brochure scans which really helped a lot. I guess the boat itself has drifted into a little bit of obscurity. I have hull number 205 and the website owner had a much higher hull number. The offshore racing thing I wasn't all that aware of and I think I'm just gonna have to sail the boat and make my own assessment. (some might say, "well, duh").

I really appreciate the info though guys. I've been around sailboats most of my life and this is one I have no knowlege of whatsoever. I'm sure someone somewhere knows about it. I did write to the fellow who wrote the article but as of this post, no response. I may never get one, but that's ok too. People have lives.

She's a real beauty with very nice lines. Not clunky or overdone. Just right in all the right ways. Full keel may mean "interesting" handling. I will find out.

Cheers!

TS61
Old 08-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
All of the dophin-based boats were fairly pretty boats. Good luck with yours. Let us know how it goes.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2006

kenanddana is on a distinguished road
TS61,

I sail/race Charisma, hull #208, off the Oregon Coast. Charisma is also a Yankee Dolphin and is a fantastic boat! The Dolphin is a sturdy boat and worth the time you will invest to bring her back into shape. There is also a list group on sailnet dedicated to the dolphin. You should subscribe, as many of the members have owned and sailed Dolphins for years. Here is a link to view some photos of Charisma when she was hauled last year, if you are interested.

http://www.chetcocyc.org/2005/Fleet_...ets_hauled.htm

Fair winds.

Ken
Old 07-16-2009

Secondhandwolf is on a distinguished road
Dolphin 24

I sailed a Yankee Dolpin made in the late 1960s for 12 years on San Franciso Bay most every week-end. She handled most every condition on that body of water, which is pretty diverse and challenging. A furling jib and a smaller jib are a good idea for heavy breezes. She sailed well in 20-30 knot winds with just her main and 2 reefs. Easy to single handle if you have the rigging and lines rigged appropriately. It took quite a bit to even get her close to capsizing. This boat saved me from my own mis-judgement and inexperience many times. Her hull was solid and could take a pounding from wind, chop, and waves. The well for an outboard was well designed. As with many boats, jibing could be difficult by yourself with the wind up. You should have a good boat if her hull and mast had a good report from the survey. Best wishes and fair winds.

Mark