SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tragedy on Clipper Race

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  casey1999 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
It doesn't say gybing at all. There is no reason for the skipper or organization to lie.

It says reefing at night and hit by the mainsheet. So we should think he was aft along the line of the boom when flicked by the mainsheet. Indicates a problem when they were reefing.
Indicates boom was flailing about.
Shows sheets, especially exotics like Dyneema are very hard, very dangerous.

These accidents can happen... but maybe more so on a fully crewed boat than short handed.

Watch the sheets! Watch the boom!

#5 ·
As I primarily sail solo, I have a short shot of like that I rig as a boom preventer when sailing downwind or even in light conditions where heavy wake can effect effect the boat. I don't have a traveler on my boat it's just a fixed cable into block and tackle on the transom so I simply pop a bowline into the boom attachment shackle and cleat it off the the stern cleat.

#6 ·
Sailing is a dangerous endeavor. Always has been and always will be. It is trying to tame and use enormous forces, both water and wind which can kill in a second in some way or another. There, but by the..........

#7 ·
Fifteen years ago I raced BMX, a bicycle racing sport that is primarily for people who bounce off of solid ground well. I raced from the age of 35 until I was 46 and faired pretty well with a number of successful national finishes. People often asked me why I would do such a thing when I could sustain a serious injury in a sport that did not have a monetary gain for me. My reply to them was to ask if I should quit working because the chance for a serious injury is pretty high in my occupation. You had better enjoy what you do for a living because it will occupy the majority of your life.......

#8 · (Edited)
The UK Marine Accident Investigation Branch will provide a detailed report on the accident as they did on the loss of the Cheeki Rafiki 2 years ago. We will have to wait 6-9 month for the report.

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/kee...ling-yacht-cheeki-rafiki-with-loss-of-4-lives

These reports make good reading and are very instructive...better to read about a disaster than to be part of one!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/373856/LCSD.pdf

Mark's analysis may well be correct...

We are about to set off from Bora Bora to Tonga (1300 nm)...the deep reef will be in before we leave the lagoon. A slower passage of 10 rather than 8 days is preferable to going to the mast and reefing a 700 sq ft main, at night, in a 40 knot squall.

Phil

#9 ·
It may be a good idea for sailors to start wearing helmets (like a light weight climbing helmet) when doing sail work or sailing in high winds, especially single handers. I was planning to pick one up but forgot about it. I will order one now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.