S2 yachts - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2015 Thread Starter

S2 yachts

Am in process of looking at an S2 8.5. Before I pull the trigger on the purchase, I would appreciate thoughts on this model-strengths, weaknesses, areas of concern and value. Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2015

Re: S2 yachts

This is all second hand information but I met a guy with a S2 7.9 and researched it at one point. The reputation I remembered was of a well made boat. It was one of those quality boat manufacturer that did not survive the luxury tax of the 80s.

Without posting something from a competing web site do a search and you will find a good review of the boat. Regardless of how well it was designed and built it will be at least 30 years old now, pull the boat and get a thorough survey.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2015

The S2's have a pretty good rep around here...Western Michigan, which is where they were made. They made some nice looking boats and they made some UGLY boats. The 8.5 is one of the former.

Looking at the data for the boat, a one cylinder Yanmar 8 horse engine is shown.

My '96 Catalina 28 has similar specs as the S2, and similar weight, but has a Universal M25-XP three cylinder under the hood with something north of 20 horsepower. Granted, this is the engine Catalina used in the 28, 30, 34, and 36, so we could argue it's has more than enough power for a 28, but when I'm pounding straight into a stiff wind and tall waves on Lake Michigan, I wouldn't want to give up any of my ponies.

You gonna be okay with 8hp?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2015

For anyone looking at an S2, most have solid FG hulls but some are balsa cored. The cored ones warrant a careful inspection.
Solid fiberglass: 11.0, 9.2, 8.6, 8.5, 8.0, 7.3, 6.0, 6.8, 27 - 2911 boats total.
Cored: 10.3, 9.1, 7.9, 6.9, 6.7, 5.5, 22 - 1142 boats total.
I think that this is correct but check before relying on it.

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2015
Owner 4knot sb.

I can certainly verify that the 7.9 is cored... got to see it up close and personal like..

I know nothing of the 8.5, but the quality reputation for the S2 is quite good (now known as Tiara Yachts, yes they still exist) Don't believe me, check here... Their reputation in the powerboat world is also quite good. About Tiara

There is tons of information on the company... but check here for more info on other models of S2s (besides the 7.9 which I own, and which still has a somewhat active national association). but the S2 boatowners website seems to have various other model S2 owners on it.
S2 - SailboatOwners.com

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.