SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Why I like this Picture...

33K views 195 replies 74 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
We've had various picture threads here on SN from time to time.. (Perfect Moments, 'Where is this', 'name this boat' etc). With this thread the idea is that you post a pic and tell us what exactly you like about it, perhaps why you took it.. what makes it special to you.

Include details of where the picture was taken too.

The type of picture that might become your desktop background, for example.. here's my current one:

Here I like the subdued tones, the neutral gray skies, the isolation and quietness of this anchorage we found this past summer. Also the driftwood that could be said to resemble a Beluga whale in the foreground. It's a tiny nook in the Finnerty Islands, just off the northern tip of Lasqueti Island in BC's Georgia Strait. Good shelter from all prevailing seas and most winds. Teeming with seals, the high tide kayaking here was spectacular.

What's yours??

See less See more
#34 ·

I like this picture because it reminds me of the joy of being a kid on a boat....my brother and nephew spent a few days cruising the area near Key Largo, and this was taken after a day of snorkeling, sailing, lunching on oreos, and generally goofing off.

#36 ·
In this photo, we are nearing the end of a beautiful day-sail with my brother's family. Eileen, on the right, had never been out on the ocean before and this was her first time in a sailboat. Everyone had a wonderful time and though she did get a little seasick she really wants to go again soon. Now, this is also a 'Where is it' photo. There are a couple of clues that should give it away.

Attachments

#37 ·
Ever since I learned to sail 20+ years ago I have always wanted to do some longer distance cruises. I get to sail a lot but only day sails or racing. In 2013 I went to Catalina from San Diego and back over a 6 day period. It was more of the kind of sailing I always wanted to do. The boat was a Cal 30 dragging a dink both directions. The sail to Catalina It was a double handed 18 hour passage, mostly in the dark. On the way back i took this photo of his dink as the sun set.

Attachments

#38 ·
This is one of the last images when my project boat before it was put on the hard nearly 2 years ago. I hope to get it back into the water soon. Just waiting for some nicer weather and some engine mounts to get my new engine in place.

I have it as my desktop background just to remind me of the days that has been, and days that will come.

Attachments

#39 ·
Going through my hundreds of pics, it's somewhat amazing to me how vividly I recall the moment I took them.

Wrightsville Beach to Beaufort Inlet, March 2008. It would be easy to wax philosophically about this photo. The short version is .... alone on open water with the kaleidoscope of nature.

#41 ·
I like this picture because it shows that you never know what wildlife you might encounter while cruising. This was on the Great Bahama Bank between Bimini and the Berry's. This little guy was not afraid of us in the least. A few of his friends showed up too, checking out our boat.

And another one of Warderick Wells Land and Sea Park, because it is just so cool there. Does this picture make my boat look small? It's behind that catamaran.

Ralph

#46 ·
With over 130,000 images on my hard drive it is really, really hard to pick favorites. Even harder to narrow it down to just one.

I have different pictures I like for different reasons.

This one captures something those who sail Maine in Late August through October will know very well. One of my favorite things to do is lay on an island staring up at the spruce trees and the insanely blue sky. Only nature can make such intense colors... The amazing bright blue sky against our green spruce trees is a spectacular sight.. My wife & I are blessed to have very special privileges on a number of very private Maine islands. This is one of my favorites, a family compound on this island has a number of bunk houses tucked away from the main house. This bunk house at the edge of a clearing displaying the blue sky & green spruce very well. The trampled grass and lack of mowing are staples of Maine Island "natural" landscaping..

In Maine you never know who's watching you. I was drifting in the dinghy after dinner, with a cocktail, fishing for flounder when I noticed this guy watching me. He was not afraid, and even allowed me to talk to him. While talking to him in a soft tone he actually moved closer in until we were this close. A seriously curious seal.. Swans Island

The sunsets in Maine can also be amazingly beautiful and the boats we have along this coast only lend to the images. Frenchboro Island Sunset.

The eye-candy of a wood boat just begs to be photographed. This is the personal boat of one of the finest yacht designers, with perhaps the finest eye of any current day designer... Tenants Harbor (Sorry Bob its not yours)....:wink

These days my favorites all tend to involve our daughter. The Maine Islands are a never ending playground for kids. She loves to hike and climb, catch crabs, search for sand dollars, sea glass and unique rocks as well as have island lobster bakes. McGlathery Island

This was my daughter and her friend doing their best at recreating Robert Mccloskey moment..... Harbor Island.

Sometimes the simplicity of a shot is remembering the peace & quiet you had while taking it. This was taken on December 19th 2012 before the snow had fallen and after 99.9% of the boats in Maine had been hauled. We were literally the only boat on the bay. Overnight temps dropped to about 24F but the peace & quiet made the stay at Jewell Island all worth it...

Zoe got her first kayak at age 4 and by age 6 she was visiting boat in the anchorage on her own, often shocking people at her age and her competence in the kayak..... She's an amazingly social and friendly kid.. Everyone chats her up and she quickly realized her "cuteness" often earned cookies or snacks, which she would bring back to the boat and share with mom & dad. She sometimes sells home made jam out of her kayak, boat to boat, and never comes back with a jar..... Off she goes.. Vinalhaven Island...

Sometimes "favorite photo" is defined not by the quality or composition of the photo but rather the grins on the faces, or by our daughter loving sailing and boats as much as her parents do... Zoe sailing with her friend off Falmouth Foreside.....

P.S. I tried to post just one, really I did......:wink

#47 · (Edited)
Here's a pic I took from the cockpit about 5 minutes before the start of our last race (yes, I know I should have been concentrating on where I was going!...):

Why I like it: Apart from the sunlight on the water and Melbourne city in the background, there's 70 years difference between "Sayonara" and "Mercedes III" and I get to be out there sailing with them.

..and, yes, that's an uncropped phone-camera shot - no zoom lens used. We really were that close. Less than 20 feet away. :)

#51 ·
Join Photobucket.com, (free and spam free) and upload your images there. Then copy the IMG code link option (important) and paste it into the body of your post here.

Easy Peezy!

Reactions: hpeer
#53 ·
A few of my favorite pictures from our recent trip to Maine:

Sailboat at Pulpit Harbor - it's a classic sunset picture that doesn't show the dozens of other boats in the harbor.

What can I say - cruising with teenagers. The picture reminds me of how spending time on a small boat, away from electronics, can be an incredible bonding exercise.

Did I forget to mention this was Maine?

#61 · (Edited)
A test to see I can make photobucket work. I can't get the image code from on Sailnet album because I can't get iPad to select the whole code.

Notre Dame Bay, the week before there was a flying boat gathering at Botwood, which I missed.

Then this PBY comes by and does a fly over with a wing wiggle. it was just so cool because I saw him in the distance, grabbed my camera, and it was like I willed him to come do my bidding.

Two guys, miles apart, one idea!

Thanks to all for the help.

#63 ·
Wow, some truly beautiful photos here

This is our favorite and the reason why is, That guy in the red shirt is our youngest son, he's been a surfing buddy since he was 4 years old, water skiing bud since he was 6, a snowboarding buddy since he was 12 and one of the crew for the last 11 years, this picture was taken 9/31/13, 7 month after being told he had a 5% chance of recovering from a really bad snowboarding accident and a 95% chance that if he did recover he would live out his life in a severely diminished capacity.

On this day, as far as he knew, it was the first time he'd been on a boat and loved every minute of the run around the North Los Coranados Is. and has loved sailing ( again ) ever since.

#65 ·
After 5 hours I guess we need a 'bump'... ;)

This 'nearly black and white' picture was taken in Effingham Harbour in the Broken Group, Barkely Sound on the West Coast of BC. It was our first time to this area, playing cards below in the evening and I just popped out to have a look around. I like the dramatic sky here and the 'silhouette' nature of the shot.

#66 ·
While sitting in the cockpit early in the season I saw this;

It was a harbinger of what has turned out to be a pretty good season... and, it's not over yet!

#68 ·

My slip on Point Roberts, WA following an intense thunderstorm in July, 2009. That's a sunset, not Vancouver getting nuked. It really did look just like this. The whole world was pink-orange.

The photo I wanted but couldn't get was of the most impressive lightning show I've ever seen. The lightning very slowly crawled horizontally across the whole sky, spreading out like water trickling over rocks, but upside-down.

Obligatory rainbow shot:

The 2x4s are part of an A-frame I built to drop the mast, which you can see jutting out from the left side of the first photo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.