SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Gunboat sues Chinese boatyard...

13K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  miatapaul 
#1 ·
Ooops, not the sort of thing you'll read in the Gunboat ads, or in fawning praise we'e been hearing from the yachting press over the years...

;-)

"Almost immediately after delivery of each of the completed vessels to Gunboat's customers, Gunboat began receiving complaints from said customers regarding the integrity of the vessels and/or components manufactured by HYM," said the amended complaint, which was filed in August.
Hmmm, where next to build their bigger boats? Turkey, perhaps?

Gunboat International sues Chinese boatyard | Trade Only Today

#3 ·
Well, if you take a close look at an Outbound, or a Marlow Explorer motor yacht, I think that might change your impression pretty quickly...

;-)

The Chinese have shown they are capable of putting out a very high level of quality. It's all about supervision and oversight of the manufacturing process, from what I hear... Sounds like Gunboat might not have had the right people in place at the yard to do their due diligence...

#7 ·
I don't blame the Chinese. The rules in China are pretty simple and have been self-evident for some time. The default is that corners will be cut and designs will be copied. It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to install enough supervision, process checks, and intellectual property safeguards to keep bad things from happening if you manufacture there. For some products it's worth it, for others not and it's up to the company to decide appropriately. Once you do decide to manufacture in China, it's you're own damn fault if you get an inferior product, either because you were willfully ignorant or too greedy for that last 1% profit to put the necessary safeguards in place.

#9 · (Edited)
It's interesting - this is the website for "HH Catamarans" - a division of HYM. Do these look familiar (pink notwithstanding)?

HH Catamarans

In addition, the company and its owner, Hudson Wang, launched a "knockoff brand" of carbon fiber catamarans despite having signed a non-compete contract, Johnstone said.

It also said Hudson "deliberately, willfully and maliciously obtained Gunboat's trade secrets with the intention of utilizing said trade secrets in connection with, and incorporating them into, the competing HH Catamaran 55 and 66 series, and HYM and Wang did in fact appropriate and utilize said trade secrets for their own benefit and profit."
Caveat Emptor.

#12 ·
Isn't there a gunboat still drifting around in the Atlantic that was abandoned by a professional crew with full fuel tanks, but no rig, just a few hundred miles from shore (well within range of this vessel under power, I believe)?
I should think that would be enough to suggest to people that these boats might not be the best place to sink a million plus dollars, no matter how 'cool' they look or what the advertising says?

#13 ·
It's all very simple. Chinese factories will do their best to build what you want at the price point and quality that you desire. They want repeat business just like any other factory. Now, the tricky part is, do they have the craftsman and the experience to build what you want?

You don't hire out a MacGregor (I'm not picking on McGregor, just as an example) factory to make a Hinckley, it just isn't realistic. Now, if you call up a McGregor factory and offer them $XXX$ to build you Hinckley Yachts they will most likely say they can do it and give it a go. Why wouldn't they want to try to generate revenue and create more jobs at the factory?

Every time you see something made in China that is junk, you can blame the importer and the realtor. The right factory in China (or anyplace else) can produce what you want at the quality you want.

If Gunboat wanted the quality, they would have had their own people on the ground doing the work, inspections and surveys. If Gunboat chose to cut corners with cheaper inexperienced labor, inferior materials, and poor management, then they have no one else to blame but themselves for farming out the work.

#16 ·
#17 ·
I recently had the great pleasure of opening up an Illustrator file and changing "Made in China" to "Made in U.S.A." and sending it out to our presses to print.

I know that China beats us on price, but we beat them on deadline turnaround and (I'm guessing) cleanliness. The printed piece in question will come in contact with food and we're licensed and certified for producing food safe products. It's like a previous poster said, I'm sure you could get equally safe products from China, but you'd have to have someone to be on the scene to verify it. I guess it was cheaper to have it made here.

The real irony is that the customer in question has the word "Oriental" in their name :)

#18 ·
I just found out that some significant portion of the Iphone is manufactured in Germany, not exactly known as the cheapest company.

With world wide sourcing the norm now a mfr. can pick pretty much anything they want.

#21 ·
The article said the company is Taiwan-based. Are Gunboats built in China or in Taiwan? I am sure the PRC would be pleased to have a Taiwan factory described as 'Chinese', perhaps not most Taiwanese.

#25 ·
Having had several jobs overseeing repairs and reconstructions to commercial vessels in shipyards, as owners representative on some major yacht rebuilds and a new construction of a 5 million+ dollar yacht, I find it hard to imagine that Gunboat wouldn't have someone in China protecting their interests.
Perhaps good help is hard to come by these days when you only get 1.5 million for a 50 foot cat.

#30 ·
Don't get it , the big sailing magazines raved about the boat, greatest thing since sliced bread, then shortly after they start falling apart,

Did notice the full page ads for the boat in same mag ...
Well obviously advertising plays a big roll, but the magazines basically say every boat is awesome. Rarely do you ever see anything critical in the magazines, just like auto (Auto mags at least do comparisons, with pros and cons) and other magazines that survive on selling advertising. So if you are expecting them to be any help with making a buying decision then your sadly mistaken. But then again if you have the kind of money it takes to buy one of these you have to understand you are on the cutting edge of technology and expect to have some teething issues. Also these owners seem to be making really stupid mistakes, like heading off into known bad conditions. The hubris of the owners is doing as much damage to the companies as the issues with the boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.