Mooring and Anchorage Guides - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 10-02-2015 Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

Mooring and Anchorage Guides

Is there a mooring and anchorage guide (especially moorings) for the US East Coast? Yes there are some in things like the Maptech books and on Active Captain, but they are spotty and take a far amount of time to sort though.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-02-2015

Re: Mooring and Anchorage Guides

Skipper Bob's Anchorage Guide is good but nothing on mooring fields that I remember.
smackdaddy likes this.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #3 of 42 Old 10-03-2015
Banned

Don't waste your time with ActiveCaptain. Bad news.

This is a fantastic resource that's been around for decades and is just getting better and better:

Waterway Guide Explorer
post #4 of 42 Old 10-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Don't waste your time with ActiveCaptain. Bad news.
-----
Lol. Tell us how you really feel smack.
I find ActiveCaptain useful for its original purpose, crowd sourcing local knowledge for shoals, anchorages, etc.
bvander66 likes this.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #5 of 42 Old 10-03-2015 Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

I saved the link for Waterway guide, it may be useful but doesn't look all the different from AC except it doesn't have reviews.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 42 Old 10-03-2015 Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I saved the link for Waterway guide, it may be useful but doesn't look all the different from AC except it doesn't have reviews.
Loaded the app. It doesn't seem all that easy to use, but most important the app doesn't list mooring for the same places it does on the desktop version :-(

post #7 of 42 Old 10-03-2015

Don where are you? Where do you sail? Your public profile doesn't inform. Personally, find different sources accuracy vary depending on locale. AC is good if there is a lot of crowd sourcing. Not so much when a bit off the beaten track.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #8 of 42 Old 10-03-2015

Quote:
Is there a mooring and anchorage guide (especially moorings) for the US East Coast? Yes there are some in things like the Maptech books and on Active Captain, but they are spotty and take a far amount of time to sort though.
From the review on Panbo.com, these waterway guides to the ICW and Southeastern coast, sound like the best source. If I were cruising that area, I'd buy all of these in a second.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: On The Water ICW ChartGuides, more great work from Mark & Diana Doyle

If you're thinking of the Northern coast, I think AC is most up to date online source. There are some good hard copy guides up here, (Taft guide is tops in Maine), but things change so quickly on the coast, an online source adds accuracy that isn't available in print. They work well together.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #9 of 42 Old 10-03-2015

You mention the Maptech books which I assume are the Embassy cruising guides. I find them pretty good. The Maptech chartbooks also have marina listings which includes moorings.
post #10 of 42 Old 10-03-2015

Quote:
Loaded the app. It doesn't seem all that easy to use, but most important the app doesn't list mooring for the same places it does on the desktop version :-(
That's correct. The WWG app stinks. The online version is like Active Captain, only worse. Especially, since you can't use the online version, unless you actually have online access. Active Captain database can be downloaded into several apps, such as Charts and Tides.

Nevertheless, the printed WWG is pretty good as a reference tool, without crowd sourced reviews. With pics of most harbors and an anchorage/mooring paragraph for each, it probably has what you're looking for.

In the end, Active Captain, integrated into a nav app is the way I research new anchorages/mooring fields.
bvander66 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.