SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Travelling North on the Hudson River

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sal Paradise 
#1 ·
Any advice on the correct time to leave the Battery and head up the Hudson River?

From previous experience it seems a favorable current North is not associated with the published tables, so maybe it's dependent on local knowledge.

Any and all advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SACHEMGFP

#2 ·
I've always used an Eldridge Tide & Pilot Book and found it to to be pretty accurate when heading up or down the Hudson. Unless there are flooding rains upstate which may affect the ebb heading south. Low water at the Battery seems the logical choice off hand. But, I would check the Eldridge current diagrams to be sure. I'm currently not on the boat where the Eldridge is unfortunately. If you don't bucking some current you could start earlier

#5 ·
Well how far are you going up? You might want to try to time a spot to "hang out" and wait as it changes, or just slug along. That can effect your timing as well. Not a lot of great anchoring spots as it can be narrow in spots. The narrows of course are where the current is stronger as well.

#6 ·
Bear in mind that at the Battery, there is no Hudson River. It is the "Hudson flooded tidal estuary" at that point and the river proper ends way further up. Twice a day you will typically see an actual tidal bore making its way upstream as the rising ocean pushes up the estuary against the river current.

Which also means that when the tide level is RISING at the Battery, the ocean is pushing north up the Hudson whatever, often with a 1-2 knot current going upriver while the water rises.

Under sail...considering Manhattan is 12 miles long? Even doing dead downwind that's typically two hours to get above the GWB and near Spuyten Devil. But at some point, you're still going to run out of rising water and have the ebb tide combining with the river against you. There's no just real long-term win in that situation, so go whenever it is convenient and don't worry about it.

I'd be more concerned with storms or rainfall upstate, I've seen trees and pieces of housing merrily swimming their way out to sea. You wouldn't want to hit those. A big chunk of land is draining out to sea on that river.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice as we were traveling to Haverstraw, NY last Tues(10/6) we misjudged the start of the flood and only began to feel the flood effects at the 79SR Boat Basin.

So if looking at the NOAA Tables current change should be determined at the GW Bridge and then adjust your Northbound start accordingly(- x time).

Also we realize one must consider rain fall as was mentioned and wind conditions.

Again Thanks for the input.

SACHEMGFP

#8 · (Edited)
Next time come up to Kingston. Rondout Yacht Basin is a great place to spend a couple of days. You can dingy across the creek to bars and restaurants and historic sites, museums.. inside the creek there are cool bridges ( railroad bridge is 90' high) and place to visit and no wakes or waves. The highway bridge is 56' but if you are too tall there are some docks on the outside too. There are also free places to anchor both inside and outside the inlet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.