Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Smile substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyZ
We have been boating for over 11 years now. Now that we have a new boat, I don't want to have it looking like a junkyard with too many additions to the cockpit. Just FYI, I passed my BS&S course with a 99%, so Mitch I find your suggestion that I learn how to sail a little condescending.

That being said, SailingDog I saw that picture but it is such a closeup you don't have a feel for the entire look. The other thing I question is that the throttle lever is on the right and would the Autopilot interfere with the ability to shift into reverse to dock. (I steer for docking he handles the lines).
Dear Judy,

There is no substitute for a formal education. Congratulations on your high grade in the BS&S course.

Steering under engine power for close quarters for docking is an important skill. However that's not the same as handling the helm under sail power in a variety of conditions and traffic. You won't need to worry about that gear shift for that. For a fun challenge try sailing onto or off of anchor. If the engine fails someday it's a good skill to have. There is no subsitute for experience. Besides you'll get better sail trim with a good helmsperson instead of an autopilot.

Mitch, keep your chin up.

Last edited by captnnero; 08-23-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Judy,

Sorry if I sounded condescending. 'Twas not my intent. I was only going by your words, which came across to me as though you were a bit disengaged from the boat. I'm glad you are engaged, took the course and want a larger boat. When it comes to condescension, there are far worse offenders on here than anything I've said. Besides, sarcasm is more my thing.

As for your boat, I agree with Sailingdog that the Simrad will fit even with the folding wheel (also a great invention.) The unit also should not interfere with the throttle/gear shift if the wheel does not interfere with it already. Too bad there isn't a decent pic of the set up somewhere. I'll look for a pic of my old P-27's set up but it will take me a while.
Old 08-23-2006
Senior Moment

Nero -- My chin is always up, even though I have owned TWO boats with wing keels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Judy -- please note the sarcasm.)
Old 08-24-2006

HyperJoe is on a distinguished road
With all of the money you spent on the boat I would install a S1 Raymarine AH. Much better of a product! The AP your looking at breaks belts often.
Old 08-24-2006
Senior Moment

Simrad quality is fine

I've had this same unit on two different boats (two different units) dating back 5 or 6 years and have never had a broken belt. The unit on my first boat is still going strong in fact, and that is the older of the two units by a good 3 years.
Old 08-25-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Judy, meaning no offense but have you & the hubby really talked over the need for an autopilot at all? When properly trimmed, if properly designed and rigged, a sloop like this should be able to hold her course with no one on the helm at least in good weather and calm seas. An autopilot isn't going to hold in anything much stronger. Which begs the question...Why bother at all?

Someone has to be on deck at all times (except perhaps for very short periods) to maintain a watch while you are in motion. Folks sometimes don't--but legal standards all over the world call for keeping a "proper watch" at all times. As long as you are there...so you watch the wheel and set the wheel brake to help hold the rudder centered, or you steer a little. No big deal. World cruising and crossing empty open oceans...the autopilot becomes more important. I don't get the sense that's what you intend, though I may be wrong.

But more so, why go half heartedly? Hunter has a reputation for being a beginners' boat, which is NOT a bad thing since it makes sailing affordable for many folks who just couldn't or wouldn't invest in something like a Hinckley or Sabre. But when you start to look at resale value...well, I'd say that investing in any autopilot could be a total loss at resale time, if the buyer is looking for a budget boat.

On the other hand, if an autopilot impresses them...I'd guess they'd pay more for an invisible installation and a more robust grade of autopilot. Below deck.

I'd go whole hog, or no hog at all. But that's just me, and your mileage can and will vary. I'm sure!

Last edited by hellosailor; 08-25-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2006

achue is on a distinguished road
As you can see it is close as one would expect for this size boat. Yet the cost of the below units is 2x the cost of the Simrad. Besides I want to get a larger boat in a couple of years and don't want to sink loads of money in this one.
you sound like the perfect wife.....
Old 08-25-2006

SeaWithin is on a distinguished road
This may be helpful:

Simrad WP32

Old 08-25-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
no offense, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Judy, meaning no offense but have you & the hubby really talked over the need for an autopilot at all? ...
... Hunter has a reputation for being a beginners' boat, which is NOT a bad thing since it makes sailing affordable for many folks who just couldn't or wouldn't invest in something like a Hinckley or Sabre. But when you start to look at resale value...well, I'd say that investing in any autopilot could be a total loss at resale time, if the buyer is looking for a budget boat.
Hello Hellosailor,

Meaning no offense of course to you or Judy, I have a few comments. Remember that they've been boating for 11 years so this isn't a beginner boat.

Since this appears from the photos to be a fairly clean new boat the autopilot cost is nominal compared to the resale value in a few years. In the meantime if they do a lot of sailing the quality of the experience can be much improved on long transits whether under sail or power.

As a yacht broker I can say that if they do sell in a few years, the cost of the autopilot will be far from a total loss. The mere presence of the autopilot will make it easier to sell to most buyers so it will sell faster. Most buyers will not view it as an "ugly" factor, but as a definite plus feature. If the seller becomes too motivated, the absence of the autopilot could in fact accelerate a price reduction.

Besides, the buyers never complain because a boat has an autopilot.

Last edited by captnnero; 08-25-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2006

CptZ is on a distinguished road
Captnnero, I think you have hit it on the head here. We enjoy sailing, and at this time we are not ready to cut lines and leave for good. So we weekend and daysail a lot. The addition of an autopilot just makes life easier. That being said, Judy is afarid that by adding one it will make the boat look cluttered. That I can agree with!

Why have I decided on this unit? Well after 4 calls and 2 e-mails unanswered by Raymarine I gave up! I would rather have a unit that when it breaks, and all mechanical things will break, has customer support behind it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.