Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006

gringo50 is on a distinguished road
looking for advice / irwin 37

bought a 37 Irwin about a year ago .and love the boat.the only problem I haven't been able to solve is the way it wanders .under power you have to be corecting all the time.Under sail it dosn't seem to be as bad but is still a pain..Wonder If it is a common problem with the 37
and if there is a cure??Thanks for your time

Last edited by gringo50; 08-23-2006 at 10:42 PM. Reason: clarifi request
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2006

bsfree is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this is valid or not, but here's my 2c worth.
My last boat was a full keel and I had to pay attention to the helm quite a bit, though not so much as to make it a pain. And under sail she was fine if the sails were balanced. She was a ketch and the first boat I'd owned, so I had no reference point to go from.
Now I have a fin keeled boat and the difference in tracking is dramatic, like a train on rails now.
So, the answer to your question may be more to do with your keel design, and maybe propeller related too when under power. Under sail you should strive to balance your sails, as this will have a profound effect on the steering.
Hope this helps.
My current
Old 08-25-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I would take a close look at the rudder post connections, bearings and steering linkage - whether mechanical or hydraulic. Excessive play in your rudder may be the cause of boat wander.
Old 08-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd agree with TrueBlue...it is probably excessive play in the steering system. This play may not be as evident under sail, as the pressure of the sails against the rudder, and the weather helm of the boat may eliminate the effects of the play in the system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
swirls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I'd agree with TrueBlue...it is probably excessive play in the steering system. This play may not be as evident under sail, as the pressure of the sails against the rudder, and the weather helm of the boat may eliminate the effects of the play in the system.
..plus you don't have the prop wash turbulence hitting the rudder.
Old 08-25-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I'd also check the rudder. It is possible, unlikely but possible, that some PO replaced the rudder and what's on there is simply wrong for the boat. I think we've all seen stranger things happen.
Old 08-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
I'd also check the rudder. It is possible, unlikely but possible, that some PO replaced the rudder and what's on there is simply wrong for the boat. I think we've all seen stranger things happen.
Very true...some very strange things have been done by PO's.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2006

harborman is on a distinguished road
most likely it is the prop wash that effects the rudder. I owned a ranger 33 that had the same problem under power. The prop was within 2 feet of the rudder. My current J37 has the prop 5 feet away and doesn't affect the steering underway.
Old 08-25-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Prop wash: Yeah, for that matter the PO might have installed a "bigger so it must be more powerful" prop, which could be hurting things too.
Old 08-25-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
hard-a-port !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo50
bought a 37 Irwin about a year ago .and love the boat.the only problem I haven't been able to solve is the way it wanders .under power you have to be corecting all the time.Under sail it dosn't seem to be as bad but is still a pain..Wonder If it is a common problem with the 37
and if there is a cure??Thanks for your time
Heck mine doesn't wander under power. It goes to port. I think it has something to do with the prop wash and the wing turbulence together.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...