Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, given how bad the hurricane season was last year, it is very likely that there is an all-time record high of storm damaged boats flooding the market right now.

The other question I have, is do you want to sail right now? If so, get a boat that is in good enough shape to sail...this boat isn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2006

lasailor is on a distinguished road
All: Thanks for the comments. Based on what I saw, I do not think it was sunk. From the ones that I've seen around here if a boat went down during Katrina there is a definite waterline mark at an odd angle. There was so much “stuff” in the water it left a mark on the hull. The marina/docks where this one is at did reasonably well when compared to the marina closer to the lake – I was surprised really. I want to see the inside of it before I make any decisions. If everything looks new and fresh – that will be a very bad sign. I've knocked around the shipyards for about 20 years now - though I'm not at one at this time. I've done my fair share of inspections on everything from Col Patton's S&S sailboat called the When & If (he wasn't a general when it was designed and built – now a sailing school ship on the East Coast – or at least was) to drill rings so I think/hope I can do a decent first cut. I know enough not to rely on myself though. I once took a wooden boat survey class on the East Coast, the instructor – Giff Full – had done most of the major wooden boats on the East Coast and he said that he would never do his own – you get stars in your eyes and see what it could be and not what it is. I'm handy with tools but clearly lack some of the specific knowledge it would take. I've some contacts down the bayou at a shipyard and think I could get some help from them. I had to laugh at the take your best shot and double it comment – gee I thought that I had!

I started out thinking of getting an “entry” boat of about 37 feet or so and give that ago for a bit. A deal feel through and I shifted gears and I think the way to go is to take a leap of faith and get something closer to what I really want. However, between a kid in college, one about to go, child support for another etc I just cannot do a turn-key one right now. I've waited 20 years to do this and I think I'm being more careful about this than I was about the wife! As an ship inspector, I've seen too many people make some costly mistakes and my hope is not to join them.

Regards – N.
Old 08-24-2006

I forgot to answer the question - I would like to be sailing now but I can wait a bit. I've a fishing boat and a kayak to help get me on the water.... But I would like to have the sailboat by next year.
Old 08-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I doubt the boat you described originally would be in sailable/saleable condition within a year, without investing more money/sweat equity than it is worth.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-25-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
commitments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasailor
...However, between a kid in college, one about to go, child support for another etc I just cannot do a turn-key one right now. ...
What some of us are trying to get across is that buying a project boat doesn't necessarily save much if any money. So between prchase and repairs you have to come up with about the cost of an almost turnkey boat in short order, it's just that you have to do more work to make it useable.

Maybe you need to consider downsizing the acquisition if you don't increase the financial resources for it.

The real bargains come in when the seller is very motivated otherwise, and not usually because the boat has been trashed. It takes a lot of time and luck to find those kind of deals. Even then it's very hard to purchase at less than 90% of market value. The really hot deals on boats in good condition tend to get snapped up by insiders. They don't make it to the broad market or they don't last long. Most of the sales are relatively close to market value.
Old 08-25-2006

Hi All:

In between the storms I was able to go out and look at the P40. Below really was in good shape - there was not any major odors (though I've a cold so I couldn't judge too well!) I liked the layout - mostly. I do like where the engine is. I brought some toys and set to work poking around with my light. I was surprised at how clean it was - some areas were freshly wiped down but other areas were not but showed a boat that was not junked up and fairly tight. I worked my way aft and found some dry rot on the covering boards in the overhead (not sure of the term here essentially the headliner) - it was just below the port chainplate. I poked it a bit and it was pretty soft. I looked a bit further aft in the adjacent locker - more rot but clean fresh drips of water. I'm guessing that there is a large hole where the plywood use to be. There was also 2 other tailtale marks where water was clearly getting in. There was also a void of sorts between these two lockers - I don't like voids.

I continued to look around some more. The AC was nice, but it took up 1/2 of the hanging locker.

It was worth the trip to be sure, but there is little doubt there would be some crop & renew action needed immediately after a purchase. I also got the "make an offer" to my question about how flexible the seller is. He is out of the area - so I'm guessing that he is flexible. I would be OK with one or two soft spots well away from major stress point but not immediately under the chain plate. The broker also said that he was surprised that things from the engine to the AC worked. Things can work for a short time after a long layup, but if you don't go through them in short order you are asking for a failure - usually at a bad time. Essentially the risks with this one are most likely too high.

OK, so y'all were right..... I may just have to descope what I want and get something to play with for a few years and see whats-what.

Thanks all for your time and efforts in reply! Regards - N.
Old 08-25-2006
Telstar 28

good enough...the boat sounds like a nightmare.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-25-2006

Sailngdog,

You made a comment about hurricane damaged boats - I was over near Pensacola FL and went into a yard to look at some boats. Most of the boats in the yard were heavily damaged boats - damn sad - especially when you know that the boats can never be made servicable. Hopefully I'm more of a realist than a dreamer!

N.
Old 08-25-2006
Telstar 28

Unfortunately, there are no laws currently requiring salvaged boats or storm-damaged boats be reported as such in most states. In many cases, people are getting sold boats that are no longer safe, without any idea of what they are getting into. Many of the boats are damaged far beyond any reasonable restoration, but are being sold as project boats. That's one reason I posted the link to the HIN lookup. If it helps prevent anyone from getting a boat that is fraudulently being sold as used—that was storm damaged, or salvaged—without full disclosure, it's worth it.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-28-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Your engine rebuild estimate is accurate if you do the rebuild yourself, 8k if someone else does it turnkey, 15k will get you abrand new engine. The other estimates are fine except for deck. Impossible to estimate the cost without sounding out the deck and/or cutting it open.