Major props for my wife - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-16-2015 Thread Starter
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Major props for my wife

We are in the midst of a significant refit. One of the tasks on this list was to paint the engine. We did this in a haphazard way in the Caribbean to deal with rust and were not able to get red (Westerbeke) engine paint so used black. The result was an engine that was mostly red with splotches of black along with some rust and a lot of black dust from an alternator belt that had disintegrated.

My wife decided she was going to do this (she has no faith, perhaps justifiable) in my ability to do detail tasks. She spent about 12 hours sanding and cleaning the engine and sprayed it with the correct primer and red engine enamel. At the same time she has been working (with me!) building a Chameleon nesting dinghy in the garage (it was her idea to get a hard dinghy). She is also very good at making sure the dinghy is as smooth as possible before we paint that.

Bonus for Westerbeke owners: Ford red engine enamel is almost exactly the same colour as Westerbeke red. We could not tell the difference between the engine and the Westerbeke filters we have. The difference is that Ford red (VHT brand) is about 1/3rd the price of Westerbeke - it may even be the same paint since I am sure Westerbeke does not make it is own paint.
DRFerron, Faster, tdw and 1 others like this.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-16-2015
Captain Obvious

Re: Major props for my wife

Glad you are happy, but personally I dont care what color my engine block is... and I look on a freshly painted engine with distrust when buying.

Sal Paradise

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #3 of 19 Old 10-16-2015 Thread Starter
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

It was more about rusting than appearance. It is 25 years old, with 4300 hours. Want to keep it working as long as possible.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #4 of 19 Old 10-16-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Hang onto that woman - there are a thousand guys on this forum that would love to have her aboard their boat.

My wife has bum knees, and until recently, had a great deal of difficulty getting from the pier to the cockpit. Therefore, I first created a gate in the stern rail, one that allows much easier access without trying to climb around the bimini frame and squeeze between it and the stern rail. Next, I constructed a gangway that is nothing more than a 6-foot length of 2 X 12 treated lumber. I installed a 1/2-inch diameter X 4-inch long stainless pin at one end, and then created a socket in the gunwale for the pin to fit into. This allows me to position the plank at just about any angle to the pier, yet still provides her with a safe, stable platform on which to walk from the pier to the gunwale, then step into the cockpit.

Of course, those steps are a bit high, especially for a 74-year-old woman with bad knees. To combat this problem, I purchased a simple, inexpensive, plastic step stool that folds flat for convenient storage. The step stool is about 8 inches high, which is approximately half the height from the gunwale to the top of the lazerette hatch, and about the same from the top of the hatch to the cockpit deck. So once she's on the hatch, I just move the step to the cockpit deck and the step down is no longer a problem.

My next modification for her will be the steps into the main cabin. The ladder is a bit steep, and while there are handholds on both sides of the hatch, I still worry about her climbing down that ladder. Over the upcoming winter, I hope to redesign that ladder and convert it into retractable steps that can be used as a standard ladder when she's not on the boat, or steps when she's aboard. I had thoughts about an electric lift, but when I discovered how much it would cost, and how much battery it would consume, it just wasn't worth it.

All the best,

Gary
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-16-2015
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Glad you are happy, but personally I dont care what color my engine block is... and I look on a freshly painted engine with distrust when buying.
Good on her to do this! To me, a nicely painted engine means less potential for external rust and shows a higher level of care for other, more important things. Anyone with a discerning understanding of engines would never take aesthetics at face value
post #6 of 19 Old 10-16-2015

Wow, your wife is a treasure, in many ways. Such attention to detail on what many consider to be totally uninspiring: engine block. You must be doing something right to inspire her in that way.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #7 of 19 Old 10-16-2015

Consensus: give your wife a hug from everyone on Sailnet.
DRFerron likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-16-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Glad you are happy, but personally I dont care what color my engine block is..
It is best to have an engine painted in a color which will show oil and water leaks before they become a real problem, though.
I think it would be fun to have a black engine with gold or silver trim, but it just doesn't make sense to me. This is definitely a case of practicality versus aesthetics.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 19 Old 10-18-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Here's a short video of the rail opening I installed for my wife - a very strong, easy access opening to the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFIRLizJSKc

I would have posted the gangplank but the tide was extremely low today and I could not move the boat close enough to the pier to put it in place.
All the best,

Gary :coolL
post #10 of 19 Old 10-18-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It is best to have an engine painted in a color which will show oil and water leaks before they become a real problem, though.
I think it would be fun to have a black engine with gold or silver trim, but it just doesn't make sense to me. This is definitely a case of practicality versus aesthetics.
I like white engines for that very reason - they brighten up the usual gloomy hole that is the normal engine compartment as well.
Attached Thumbnails
15d Engine after.jpg  
capta and SailRedemption like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.