Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006

DanRudolph is on a distinguished road
Stepping a deck mounted mast while on jack stands

I have stepped a deck mounted mast while the boat was on a trailer and while the boat was in the water using a gin pole and the mainsheet block and tackle. I do not have any experience stepping a mast, tabernacle mount, while the boat was on jack stands. The boat in question is a Cal 24. Are there any special precautions or advice for this task? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The procedure is much the same...however, you do want to make sure that the jack stands are chained together, so they can not shift. Stepping the mast exerts loads on the boat's hull that may cause the jackstands to want to shift, and if they do, the consequences will be ugly.

Other than that, the stepping of the mast, using the gin pole should be close to identical to doing the same on the trailer or in the water. Also, take extra care and caution not to fall of the boat. Falling off a boat on jack stands will hurt a lot more than falling into the water, or onto a dock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Danger Will Robinson! Why would you consider doing this?

Other method...build a brick wall as high as the waterline all around the boat....then fill with water. It is now safe to step your mast!
Old 08-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One reason I can see, if he's particularly klutzy, dropping stuff is easier to recover from if the boat is on the hard. Hard to find a dropped metal widget when it is covered by 6-10' of water... much easier to find it if it is sitting on nice, dry concrete.

BTW, helped do this three times earlier this season...not for my boat though...since my boat has a really simple mast raising system. No ginpole needed.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-27-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Raising the mast on a boat that's on jackstands shouldn't be much different from doing the same on a boat that's on a trailer, which is quite common. Just make sure the jackstands are secure and chained together, as they're supposed to be.
Old 08-28-2006

DanRudolph is on a distinguished road
Stepping a deck mounted mast while on jack stands

Sailingdog, thanks for the tips. The jackstands are currently on crushed stones and they are not chained together so I will talk to the marina and see if my boat can be moved to macadam and have chains added.

Camaraderie, I’ll interpret your questions as to why one would consider doing this? as why would one consider doing this on jackstands?

Because that is where the boat is and I need to step the mast to replace the main halyard sheave. I also have to make other repairs to a through hull before the boat goes back in the water, so on the jackstands is where the work will be done. Your other comments, not helpful, not cleaver.
Old 08-28-2006
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Why wouldnt you step a mast on jackstands

For all the reasons Dog mentioned. The hull will flex and can change position on the stands. if one of those stands slip you could lose your boat and in the worst case a Whiley Coyote, That is where every boat in your like goes over like dominoes. The insurance Company that covers my marina strictly forbids it.

Fix your thru hulls then launch the boat, then use the travel lift to lift the mast off. If you are prepared and ready to go it should take you only an hour to replace the halyards. You could do it over their lunch hour to get extra time to complete the job.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 08-28-2006
Telstar 28

Why do you need to step the mast to replace the main halyard sheave???

Being on crushed stone isn't necessarily a show-stopper. As long as the jack stands are on planted firmly and chained to prevent them from shifting, you should be able to do this on firmly packed crushed stone. I did this earlier this year on a Cape Dory 25, with the boat on crushed stone.

BTW, Capn' Dave's idea of doing over their lunch hour isn't a bad one...

Glad to help in any case.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-28-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Because that is where the boat is and I need to step the mast to replace the main halyard sheave."

I don't understand that. If you pass a fish tape up the mast ($10 at the hardware store) the mast can be horizontal, or just tilted up on one saw horse, and you can still feed lines through it very easily.

Wouldn't that work for you?

The other option, instead of moving the boat ($) would be if they can use the travellift, put a sling around your spreaders, and help you step the mat so no gin pole and dancing is required. Quite possibly cheaper than moving the boat.
Old 08-28-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
"Because that is where the boat is and I need to step the mast to replace the main halyard sheave."

I don't understand that. If you pass a fish tape up the mast ($10 at the hardware store) the mast can be horizontal, or just tilted up on one saw horse, and you can still feed lines through it very easily.

Wouldn't that work for you?

The other option, instead of moving the boat ($) would be if they can use the travellift, put a sling around your spreaders, and help you step the mat so no gin pole and dancing is required. Quite possibly cheaper than moving the boat.
He's not replacing a halyard...he's replacing the halyard sheave that is located up in the masthead cap.

Telstar 28
New England