Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
Just use one of those bug bombs on the inside.

That is what I did. I have an older Catalina 38 and the inside was full of spiders (it didn't help that I rolled up my sails last spring, with spiders, and stored them inside). In mid June, I set off one of those inside foggers when I left the boat. Unfortunately, I didn't get back again until last week (yeah, that sucks!), and there were NO spiders. I figured in the two months between fogging and returning, the spiders would have moved back in, but no! As for the outside, I know some people that use the gallon jug of spider killer that has the attached spray nozzle. They spray down their dock and the outside of their boat in the evenings to keep any more from coming aboard.

Good luck.

PS. Another thing that works, but isn't recommended, is a can of starting fluid and a match. Makes a great anti-spider flame thrower. ;-)
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, the bug bombs use a pretty nasty poison to do their jobs.. and that is something I'd personally prefer to not use those kinds of poisons on my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, you can always invest in dirt dobbers...
Old 08-29-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I don't know if the poisons work for the eggs or not but I don't like to take chances. A heat gun will take care of the damn things pretty quick. Just be careful.
Old 08-29-2006

langdon is on a distinguished road
My boat is berthed on a lake in middle Tennessee...spider Mecca (beware the Brown Recluse). Someone turned me on to a pest strip (made by Hot Shot or the like). Just hang it inside and no bugs...no spiders, no mosquitos or gnats, no bugs. I keep the foil wapper and cover the strip when I'm on the boat. Every few days I spray the appropriate hidey-holes outside with insecticide and that controls the critters. One strip lasts all summer. I've done this for years...it works.
Old 08-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I used that too some years ago. In fact, I do not remember seeing the spiders that much. I even put it in the mainsai (when it was down, inside the folds).

Truth is, if you are on your boat quite a bit and keep it really clean, you will get rid of 99% of them. If not, well, not a whole lot you can do.

PS The strip has no smell associated with it. Nice thought langdon.
Old 08-29-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
Shell No-Pest strips work great for spiders and Mud Daubers (wasps) if you can find them. Zip them up in a plastic bag when you come on board. The strip will last all summer. If you leave bread or crackers on board with the pest strip hanging, the bread/crackers will taste very bad.
Old 08-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by resdog
Shell No-Pest strips work great for spiders and Mud Daubers (wasps) if you can find them. Zip them up in a plastic bag when you come on board. The strip will last all summer. If you leave bread or crackers on board with the pest strip hanging, the bread/crackers will taste very bad.
And probably be poisonous too... Hmm...leaving food out where you have pesticides hanging sounds like a good way to win a Darwin Award.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
A couple of months ago my son pointed me towards a product sold by Home Depot which works very well. It's called, "Hot Shot - Home Insect", clear formula for use indoors and outdoors. Kills roaches, ants, spiders, and other insects. Comes in a 32-oz spray bottle. No odor, non-staining.

It is, of course, toxic. People and pets should not be allowed in sprayed areas until it dries.

I've used it on my sailboat in a marina which has to be the mother of all spider-generators. Most aggressive beasts I've ever seen. This stuff kills em, along with other insects. Works well for weeks until it gets washed off.

Bill
Old 08-29-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
And probably be poisonous too... Hmm...leaving food out where you have pesticides hanging sounds like a good way to win a Darwin Award.
That was my point...