Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006

bdevries is on a distinguished road
Spiders!!!

I don't mind spiders that much. I really don't. Whenever they get into my apartment I just take them outside and pray that they set up shop on my porch. Helps get rid of the flies.

The problem is my girlfriend. She hates them. And the spiders? Well... they like my boat. Alot. The new Hunter 25' I purchased this summer (as in really old actually - 1978) seems to collect them like nothing I have seen.

I go away for even a day or two and they have taken up residence. And not just on the outside of the boat - they manage to find their way inside as well. Now consider that I normally only get up to the boat on the weekends and you have a place that a certian girl won't spend the night.

I have cleaned out the entire boat several times over in an attempt to get rid of the tricky bastards - but to no avail. I would figure it is par for the course but looking at the boats around me I seem to be the spider haven.

The school boat that we took our ASA courses on didn't have any spiders at all... though my boat is on the very end of the line of slips towards the water, which probably means more bugs for them to feast on.

I have found some spider repellents online (Autre Spider Repellent) but I would love to hear if anyone has any hands-on experience with this.

This is on the West side of Michigan if it matters.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am going to try the afore mentioned product this weekend unless I hear otherwise
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem is probably that you're getting rid of the adult spiders, they're living long enough to lay eggs, and you're not getting rid of the thousands of eggs that they're leaving behind.

I doubt that the spider repellent works...but if you're desperate enough... and it sounds like you are... might as well give it a shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-28-2006

Yah - I was worried that is what I would hear. I don't think I am going to be able to clean in enough of the tiny areas of the boat to clear out the eggs since I am always going to miss something - even if down in the area beneath the cockpit.

I will try one of those products and see if I can't freeze them out in the winter then keep on top of it next summer (picked up the boat partway though the summer and it hadn't been touched yet).

Thanks for the help sailingdog - just don't tell the girl that whole 'thousands of eggs' thing... I might end up sailing alone...
Old 08-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdevries
Yah - I was worried that is what I would hear. I don't think I am going to be able to clean in enough of the tiny areas of the boat to clear out the eggs since I am always going to miss something - even if down in the area beneath the cockpit.

I will try one of those products and see if I can't freeze them out in the winter then keep on top of it next summer (picked up the boat partway though the summer and it hadn't been touched yet).

Thanks for the help sailingdog - just don't tell the girl that whole 'thousands of eggs' thing... I might end up sailing alone...
Just be glad you don't live in Australia...some of the spiders there will bite you and kill you dead... Actually, they might not kill you, but you'd probably prefer that they had. BTW, freezing them doesn't really work too well. They've frozen spiders and scorpions into a solid block of ice, thawed them out, and the critters walked away. They're tough little bastards.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-28-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
They gotta eat. I remember a friend telling me once he had this damn woodpecker poking holes in his house. I told him the woodpecker was just eating bugs and he should pull a board off and find out what was living inside. Ants, lots of big carpenter ants. An exterminator was required. Thanks woodpecker!

Anyway, I digress, but just a little. Spiders eat bugs. If there are no bugs they starve or leave, after they eat the other spiders of course. I suggest a serious cleaning and flushing out of all possible areas of the boat. Include all fabric too, or just wait until the spiders do their job.
Old 08-28-2006

"Initial symptoms after a bite include local pain, mouth numbness, vomiting, abdominal pain, sweating and salivation."

I guess I _am_ glad I don't live down there in AUS. :P

I am a bit dubious of the effects of the spider repellents - but I am desperate. I suppose I am going to have to go with fumigating the boat at the end of the season.

Oh - and did I say I liked spiders? I change my mind
Old 08-28-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene T
They gotta eat. I remember a friend telling me once he had this damn woodpecker poking holes in his house. I told him the woodpecker was just eating bugs and he should pull a board off and find out what was living inside. Ants, lots of big carpenter ants. An exterminator was required. Thanks woodpecker!

Anyway, I digress, but just a little. Spiders eat bugs. If there are no bugs they starve or leave, after they eat the other spiders of course. I suggest a serious cleaning and flushing out of all possible areas of the boat. Include all fabric too, or just wait until the spiders do their job.
Not a bad point at all. Thanks.

I will give them till the end of the season - then look into fumigating. I am not looking forward to pulling out everything not permanently attached and cleaning it again - I have already used up 2 weekends and a Saturday sitting in the slip cleaning while silently cursing the people sailing by out on the lake :P

Probably should have made the screens for the ports / companion-way sooner Probably would have helped.

The more I think about what has been said though - the more I like the idea of fumigation. You are right - the spiders wouldn’t be there if there was nothing for them to eat.
Old 08-28-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Lake boats have that problem.

They will dissapear for the most part in the winter, then back in the spring, bad in the summer, dissapear again late fall.

1) Move your boat to a slip with little or no lights. Spiders typically come out at night and spin their webs. They are a favorite food source for Dirt Dobbers, so they typically stay hidden during the day. Does not mean I let dirt dobbers on my boat either (though they seem to invite themselves), but at least it makes you feel a little better about them knowing their dirt nests are proabably filled with spiders.

2) There is a product by Raid (I think). It is called Spider Kill. It is supposed to work for many days, but I find it is at least good for a couple. Spray the vents for your fuel, water, etc. Spray your bimini and all the dark areas. That is where they love to hide. The worst really is the vents though. You don't want them clogged up anyway. If my boat is bad, I will wait until late evening and go adventuring with my can of raid. This is probably the best way to get rid of them. Find their web, spray them, etc. Tough to get them all during the day.

3) I have no scientific basis for this one, just experience: Buy Boat Zoap (no, I did not misspell it). Z-O-A-P. In addition to being the best boat cleaning product I have found on the market, the spiders seem to hate it and continue hating it. I have (countless times) dropped a little of the foam on them and within about a minute they are wiggling and running around like crazy trying to get off the boat. Thus, I let them!! It also seems to have a bit of a lasting effect. My boat is closest to the lights in the marina and has the least spiders on it. Course, the damned dirt dobbers seem to be falling in love with it now (don't sleep with your food, I guess). Only caution with ZOAP: It chaps my hands/feet.

Hope that helps. Constant vigilance and keeping it clean - you will get rid of most of them. FYI - the brown lake spiders are ugly as sin, but they don't bite... (to the best of my knowledge). Course, when one drops in your girlfriends hair, she will probably smack you - so the reprocussions can be tough.

It's war, soldier. Take no prisoners.
Old 08-28-2006
Telstar 28

I'd agree with Cruisingdad on most of his points... and one of my friend's seconds his use of Boat Zoap...what ever that is... she swears by it....

Have fun... BTW, Gene T is probably wrong... most spiders will generally starve to death, rather than leave their territory. I've studied the beasties a fair bit in high school and college, and they're very patient... even the hunting spiders have a limited territory, and generally will not leave it, even if it means starving.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-29-2006

Rodz47 is on a distinguished road
I would not suggest getting rid of all those creatures .... just leave one ... in any case you need it .... lol