Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
the meaning of specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
SD,

...How do YOU really know the liferaft will pop at 15 feet? How do YOU really know your VHF works after being submerged? Have you tried it? How do YOU really know your new Corvette goes 203 MPH??
There is a basic concept in engineering and Q&A that untested specifications are meaningless. The original acceptance test has to have a test for every line item in a specification. Then Q&A sampling is used in production. Practically speaking the quality of a high production product usually is not "tested" in with 100% testing of all specifications. Rather, the quality is designed into the production process. The Q&A sampling is the check on the production process to indicate when something is wrong in production. So that indeed makes one wonder to what extent our stuff is really tested.

I just heard a rumour that a large purchaser was doing pre-acquistion testing of some boating parts and was sufficiently disappointed with the results and the variation in results that they steered their purchase away from some major brands. I'll try to nail down that story so if there are any dirty little secrets they can be posted. Othewise I won't repeat the other who/what/where details that I heard.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
FWIW, the USCG and the IMO (SOLAS) do set standards for livesaving equipment used in commercial and fisheries service, so I would expect a certified liferaft would have to have been shown to work as advertized. Similarly with EPIRBs and such.

Besides word of mouth, there are publications such as Practical Sailor who do put things like floating winch handles and submersible VHF radios through their paces.

As to the floating winch handle, I can't remember ever having dropped a winch handle overboard in many years, so I'm not sure it would be worth any extra expense.

Regards,

Tim
Old 08-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Capt,

Quite right. No one wants an oversight.

I always enjoy reading the product reviews from CW, Prac Sailor, and Ocean Nav. I find the last two especially critical (especially for my application - offshore). I remember some years ago when everyone said, "Go buy the Firdell Blipper. Best reflector on the market... blah, blah, blah." Well, it was on my old boat and on my new one. Interesting that they wrote it up (In Ocean Nav?? Can't rememeber now), but they said the Davis was better and the blipper was the worst. I am not trying to beat up Firdell, still a worthwhile product, but the point is: THere is little or no oversight. I bought that thing off of word of mouth.

Now you can say, "Well, you should have gone out and done your own research and blah, blah, blah.." , but come on!! Where do you really get the answers?? You cannot test a hydrostatic release on a life raft. Even if it worked that time, there is no guarantee it will work after it is repacked.

For me, should the boat go down, I will just latch on to the winch handle. It is sure to float.
Old 08-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
SD,

You are so thoughtful. BTW, as I recall, you are happily married, right? You don't mind if I have a little chat with her, now do you??? HAHA. We will get you straightened out really quick.

Anyone who does not know who the real boss on the boat is, can be categorized as the following: (1) Not Married, (2) Divorced, (3) On the road to Divorce. My wife always tells me that it is her job to make me THINK I am the boss. She also says I should not complicate my intellect with reality... whatever that means. Ignorance is Bliss.

How do YOU really know the liferaft will pop at 15 feet? How do YOU really know your VHF works after being submerged? Have you tried it? How do YOU really know your new Corvette goes 203 MPH??
Hmm... Actually, I'm not happily married, I was—but unfortunately the light of my life died a bit over five years ago. She was definitely the boss... I wish you could chat with her.

I don't know about the liferaft, as I don't have one on my boat... I do know about my handheld VHF... my crew tested it accidentally, when they fell in while carrying it. I thought it was funny... they weren't so amused by it.

As for Corvettes...if God had wanted cars to be made of fiberglass, he'd have made steel and fiberglass have the same expansion coefficient. I think Corvettes are abominable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Sorry about the wife, SD. Did not know. So you are now spending much of your time and life helping people out, sure that makes her happy. Most people don't care to take the time. Right or wrong, at lesat you try (and yes, you ARE wrong about the icemaker).

- CD
Old 08-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Sorry about the wife, SD. Did not know. So you are now spending much of your time and life helping people out, sure that makes her happy. Most people don't care to take the time. Right or wrong, at lesat you try (and yes, you ARE wrong about the icemaker).

- CD
CD- The only thing I'd want an icemaker on board for, is to make icecream. Need a good supply of ice to do that... But then I'd get too fat to sail... so I don't have an icemaker on board.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

(Laugh)

I should probably share with all of you guys my introduction to passagemaking... long story, of sorts... though I have mentioned pieces of it in some threads. Maybe a good topic for the next chronicles?? I am just concerned that what infinitely small repsect I have on this forum will deminish to a negative number....
Old 08-29-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
floating vs non-floating

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount
As to the floating winch handle, I can't remember ever having dropped a winch handle overboard in many years, so I'm not sure it would be worth any extra expense.

Regards,

Tim
I did drop one of those floating handles in the Choptank River about five years ago and sure enough it bobbed back up. We got to practice our COB drill to recover it. Then last year I dropped a brand new first-time-out T-handle in Herring Bay on a chilly day and it promptly verified it's non-floating feature. It's probably still there about 100 yards north of Herring Bay #2 if anyone wants to claim salvage rights.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...
Old 08-29-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnnero
I did drop one of those floating handles in the Choptank River about five years ago and sure enough it bobbed back up. We got to practice our COB drill to recover it. Then last year I dropped a brand new first-time-out T-handle in Herring Bay on a chilly day and it promptly verified it's non-floating feature. It's probably still there about 100 yards north of Herring Bay #2 if anyone wants to claim salvage rights.
what..no gps coordinates for the location???

Telstar 28
New England