Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006

Edo Kazumichi is on a distinguished road
Moorage in the Vancouver/Seattle area

Does anybody have any input about mooring a boat in the Seattle/Vancouver area? I'm talking about everything from a slip in a marina to a long-term, drop-your-own moorage in some secluded cove. I've heard that in the Seattle area slips are wait-listed and there are limits on live-aboards. How about up north?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
In Vancouver there are definitely limits on (legal) liveaboards. And also wait lists for those few slips - and very low turnover to boot.
Vancouver has recently begun implementing a program to limit anchoring in False Creek (Vancouver's best anchorage) to two weeks max by requiring (free) permits. There are a fair number of fairly derelict vessels that are living free in the Creek and the city wants them gone. This is primarily to make space for transient boaters, esp during summer.
There are few coves convenient to Vancouver that are always sheltered, and simply dropping a mooring would be a risky (quasi legal) venture.
Other marinas outside the city may have seasonal vacancies, but few actually sanction liveaboards, though of course there are a number of unofficial cases.
Old 08-31-2006

ntheyer is on a distinguished road
Another good area is in Anacortes, WA. This is about half way from Seattle to Vancouver. There are numerous private marinas, as well as a state marina in Anacortes. In terms of liveaboards and private moorings, I'm sorry, I don't have the details but you can call the Anacortes area and check it out!

Anacortes is beautiful since it is really close to the San Juan Islands as well as Victoria, BC and Vancouver. Bellingham, WA is also an option.

Anacortes Yacht Club (expensive), Skyline Marina (semi expensive), Anacortes Boat Haven (I think that's the name? Mid price) There are many others as well as Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor in the San Juans themselves.
Old 09-02-2006

Thanks, guys. How about further north up the Strait of Georgia, maybe even as far as Campbell River? Surely there would be no lack of quiet places to leave a boat for a few weeks. Would it become prohibitively cold up there to spend a winter living aboard? Does it freeze up? Am I nuts to consider it?
Old 09-02-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
EDO,

Better check with the Canadian Gov as to rules for hanging out there if you are not a Canadian Citizen. The Canuks are a tad restrictive about non-citizens living in Canada.

Cruising permits are availble, but it might be hard to be a permanent resident.

Dewey
Old 09-03-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"The Canuks are a tad restrictive about non-citizens living in Canada."
Ah, you've taken too many cranky pills tonight. The Canadians are way more liberal than the US about non-citizens. If we catch 'em we deport 'em, but we look the other way. OTOH the Canadians will let anyone in as a "refugee" and then they forget about 'em.

"Purpose of your visit, eh?"

' ' Plunder, pillage, and conquest. But if you just stack up the gold, cattle, and women at the border, I can pick 'em up on my way back out again, and skip most of the messy pillage part and all of the conquesting. ' '
"Welcome to Canada then and have nice day!"
Old 09-03-2006

I thought Canadians welcomed "boat people". Or does the boat in question have to be made of bamboo lashed to tire tubes?

Gold, cattle and women?! C'mon! - we got gold and cows and your women aren't much of an improvement over ours. We want oil, water and wood! And beer, 'course.

Anyway, in all seriousness, as a Yank I've never had my passport stamped in Canada with a date when I have to leave. Has this changed?
Old 09-03-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Edo, it looks like anyone from the US who is independently wealthy can visit (not necessarily study or work) as a tourist in Canada forever.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.html
Old 09-03-2006

God Bless Canada!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
' ' Plunder, pillage, and conquest. But if you just stack up the gold, cattle, and women at the border, I can pick 'em up on my way back out again, and skip most of the messy pillage part and all of the conquesting. ' '
"Welcome to Canada then and have nice day!"
Cute,

don't need any Cranky pills, I have enough of my own crankyness thank you.

My comments were based on personal experience as I have had to work with the land of the big white tooth on cruising permits. Have checked on (for myself) and currently have friends who own property in NS. They have limited time periods in which to stay at their NS home, So they hop over to Maine at the end of the period spend the required time out of Canuk land in the local hotel (their MO lately, they used to come back and stay on their classic Alden here in SD) and go back to their Canadian non-base.

Too much wankin trouble for me! I will say a cruising permit is not terribly difficult and one extention of it is doable. Never tried for more so I cant say further.

Dewey