Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006
NewSailor

CptHank is on a distinguished road
Learning more

I've recently finished a three day learning-to-sail Keelboat class in NYC, and I have to say that I've fallen for this great hobby/sport/lifestyle/etc. I can't wait to sail under the Verrazano Bridge or sail in Long Island Sound for the first time.

I've been reading this website for about a month, and I've been amazed by the fountain of knowledge I've discovered on this site.

This website has definitely started my imagination flowing, and I hope that one day I can fulfill my dream of sailing to the Azores on my own boat.

I have two questions I'm hoping that this community can answer for me:

1) I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an (inexpensive) clubs in the NYC or Long Island area which has a fleet of boats for newbies to sail. I don't want to buy a boat when I even don't know what I like (or can afford) yet!
aka *** MUST GET BACK ON WATER ***

I've found two clubs in NYC and one in Oyster Bay via google, but that doesnt' tell me if the club is worth the price or if the members enjoy the club.

2) More importantly I would like to hear what other websites, books, magazines, guides, etc that people find valuable.

Basically I'm looking for the books or websites you wished people read before posting something on these forums (e.g., Should I buy this used boat when I know nothing about sailing or boats.... )!

Thanks for your time and for this great community!

Hopefully I'll be able to earn the Cpt part of my nick eventually!

-Henry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Hank,

A good way to get boat time in and develop new skills,while having a lot of fun, is to crew on race boats. Trust me - half the boats going racing on any day are looking for warm bodies to add to the to crew. You get to sail, free beer and on the better boats, lunch too. You only need to bring your own gear and a good attitude. All you need to know is how to grind a winch, if you're not sure on that, skippers are always willing to explain how they do things on their boat. Some high performance boats just need rail meat.

Many PHRF regions maintain crew lists. I don;'t see one for Western LI, here is a list of the memeber clubs: http://www.yralis.org/ Some of them may have public crew lists, for example http://www.manhassetbayyc.org/defaul...id=76740&vnf=1 They all have bulletin boards - drop by and post a card with your personals, and in no time you'll have all the boating you can handle, at no cost. You may even decide that racing is better than sailing...

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Hank, most of the clubs will have some kind of "meet the members" events, and if you call ahead and let them know you're interested they'll invite you to come down, probably to sail and meet.

Offhand, there's the Manhattan Sailing Club (ex-MYC) out of North Cove and the Chelsea Piers. Newport on the NJ side. And then OB, yes. I think the first two are still sailing all J/24's which are fun boats but each has their limits and terms, check out the details before you commit.

There are limited options here in NYC/LI, so you look around, and at this point in the year? Probably just look, and hold your membership off for 2007, since their season may be over in 60 days anyway.

There are also some older YC's on City Island (which can be a pain commuting to, especially on weekends in the summer) which are bonafide YC's not just "clubs" that share boats. Some of them offer reduced rates for junior members who don't have boats--and each has a social life and members who need crew, especially for the regular races. If you check out the EBYRA racing schedule or others, you can often just show up a the docks a good hour ahead of races, and ask around to see who needs crew. The experience varies but someone ALWAYS needs crew.

No charge, either.
Old 08-31-2006
NewSailor

CptHank is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info guys!