Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Capt Nemo Question

Hey Capt!

I noticed in some thread or another that you have had several Ericson's was one of those that little flat bottomed Ron Holland racer, that they made for a bit?

Dewey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Dewey

I'm sure the Cap'n will respond, but FYI a buddy has one of the '82 Ericson 33s designed by Holland. It seems a solid, comfortable boat with a very good turn of speed. Powerful fractional rig, with beamy quarters that also allows a good roomy, comfortable cockpit. Interior accomodations are typical Ericson. Our own boat is a 34' Holland design from around '78/79 and the Ericson leaves us in the dust in anything under 10 knots true.
A lot of boat for what they paid (low $20sK US)
Old 08-31-2006
old cranky salt

Thanks For the info Faster.

I had a chance to sail one of those in the early 90's and couldn't remember the exact lenth. We sailed the boat in 5-8 knots wind in flat water. I remembered that she performed beautifully, and more distinctly that she was so well mannered it was a pleasure to sail her.

That boat was sold to a couple from the Portland Oregon area. Both were doctors, they had intended to rename the vessel "Irie" (pronounced EE Ray), from her then name "Koinonia".

The handling of this vessel was much on my mind when I purchased my current vessel "Heart of Gold" as she is also a Ron Holland design. I have found that "Heart" has a similar confident and comfortable feel to her even though the rig is radically different.

Which Ron Holland design do you have? Could you tell me something of her sailing charicteristics?

Dewey
Old 08-31-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We have a FAST 345, originally produced as the Nicholson 345 in England. FASTs are (were) built in Brazil. It's a 3/4 Frac, which we like because it keeps the headsails and kites small and manageable. She is a narrow sterned boat compared to the Ericson and other newer designs but we have been very happy with her habits, having sailed here for two years now, at 70-80 days/year. We did a trip on the outside to Vancouver Island's West Coast and had no troubles. She heels easily early on but stiffens up nicely as the breeze builds. Always balanced and easy to steer, even in the puffs.The small foretriangle makes us a bit underpowered in the light stuff. Later models switched to a masthead rig. The interiors of the Fasts are much cruisier than the Nich-built boats. Nicholson built 29, Fast built 127 of them and they are apparently well regarded and hold their value well down there.
There are likely no more than a dozen of these in North America, and I expect we have the only one in Western Canada.

BTW. Ericson also produced a 36 from Holland, very similar to the 33 but with a masthead rig.

Last edited by Faster; 08-31-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2006
old cranky salt

Fast!
Hence the name "Faster"

Thanks for the info. So far all the owners of the Ron Holland designs I have spoken with have concurred to the ease of handling of these craft. I really like the way the helm barly reacts upwind in a stiff puff.

Didn't know about the 36 Ericson model. The 33 is pretty rare and I hadn't heard of it intil I sold one.

I have talked to one fellow who used to own a Ron H. one off named "Bootlegger" in the Tampa Bay area. His info concurrs with ours.

Dewey

Last edited by Dewey Benson; 08-31-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2006

imiloa1 is on a distinguished road
Dewey,

There is a very active and extremely knowledgable and helpful group on the Ericson owners web site, including ex-Ericson employees, who can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about anything Ericson ever built (or even thought about building). Check out
http://www.ericsonyachts.org

Gary

s/v Imi Loa
E28+
Old 08-31-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Benson
Hey Capt!

I noticed in some thread or another that you have had several Ericson's was one of those that little flat bottomed Ron Holland racer, that they made for a bit?

Dewey
Hey Dewey,

I'm guessing that maybe that Nemo fellow you're asking about might actually be me. If it is, it's okay since I've been called much worse things than Nemo.

I've had an '88 Ericson 32-200 and currently have an '88 Ericson 34. I haven't yet been near one of the Ron Holland designs, but I have studied up on them a bit. The 36C was designed with a flush deck and lines and trim quite different than the rest of the Ericsons. In the same era (late 70's to early 80's) they also produced a very similar Ericson 31C "Independence". The 36C was interesting for it's day with a separate cabin for the aft berth which also contained the chart table.

Now if I'm not the Nemo fellow that you were seeking, never mind...

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...
Old 08-31-2006
Just another Moderator

CaptNero is correct that Ericson made the models that he mentions, except those are not the Ron Holland designs of the early 80s. The 31C, in particular, is a very traditional looking boat that I doubt Mr Holland would have drawn. But I'm not sure that Bruce King would have either....
The mid-to-late '80s 32 and 34 (and 38) King designed models mentioned are very nice cruising yachts indeed, but a different breed altogether from the Holland designs.
Old 08-31-2006
old cranky salt

Nero Nero Nero Nero

Typo Captn NERO,

Sorry bout that!

The 36 C and the independence are NOT a Ron Holland Design those are both Bruce King designs. The Ericson site has them under the Ron Holland Link but if you read the brochures that are there you will see they credit Bruce King.

Please note the underbodies are classic Bruce King on those two also. I have seen many examples of the Independence and two of the 36C. I have also sailed both. the Independence I would class as a character boat, cute but silly. The Cruising 36 is an interesting design with a dangerously oversize cockpit. For offshore work larger and more drains and perhaps a bridgedeck would be in order.

There were very few of these Hollands produced. You will find that while they retain the light air capablity of the King they are much stiffer as things pipe up.

Dewey
Old 08-31-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Benson
Typo Captn NERO,

Sorry bout that!

The 36 C and the independence are NOT a Ron Holland Design those are both Bruce King designs. The Ericson site has them under the Ron Holland Link but if you read the brochures that are there you will see they credit Bruce King.

Please note the underbodies are classic Bruce King on those two also. I have seen many examples of the Independence and two of the 36C. I have also sailed both. the Independence I would class as a character boat, cute but silly. The Cruising 36 is an interesting design with a dangerously oversize cockpit. For offshore work larger and more drains and perhaps a bridgedeck would be in order.

There were very few of these Hollands produced. You will find that while they retain the light air capablity of the King they are much stiffer as things pipe up.

Dewey
Ok guys, thanks for the correction. I confused some literature between the two 36's. I'm so sorry; I certainly do apologize for that. In any case it is true that I still haven't been close to either 36. The ericsonyachts.org forum lists 5 Holland 36's in case someone wants to track one down. From a supply pespective, there are at best a few opportunities per year from the brokerages seen in Yachtworld.

Looking into this further I just saw that Marty King (Bruce's son) said that the inspiration for the 31C was that they wanted a scaled down version of the 36C so they needed the trunk cabin on the 31 instead of the flush deck of the 36C to make it manageable inside. Another interesting quote is that the late 80's 200 series (32-200, 34, 38-200) were designed based on a memo to make a more f*&#able design. My goodness.

The Ericson brochure does say that Ron Holland's 36 design was the inspiration for Dave Pedrick's Tri-axial Force Grid, so that also came out of it all. I suppose that has something to do with how they brought it in a 11,600 lbs.. Related to the late 80's Ericson TFG boats, we've noticed downward settling movement of the cabin sole in the centerline galley area of up to 1" when they are in the water. Mine is about 1/2". Sometime after launch you can see this on the base of the galley cabinet where the molding is attached to the sole and the bottom of the cabinet becomes exposed with a slightly different stain appearance. It does make one wonder about how things would go in really rough seas.

As for Bruce King, Marty recently reported that dad has retired. I was looking for his works the other day and noticed that he designed the Hinckley Sou'wester 70. Really he did, I double promise this time.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.