Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
first hello.

Hello. Wife and I moved from USA to the TCI a year ago, and are building a home here. Next step in the plan is to find a Gemini 105 and cruise. Base in TCI and trips to various places as far as we get. I have almost 40 years in underwater acoustics/oceanographic business, so do know a bit about bits. I am hoping to learn a bit more about cruising here on this forum.. Was staggered to realize that this huge nation I now live in doesnt even rank a listing in the profile locations list!! Oh well, I'll get over it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Two questions— What and where is TCI?? Turks & Caicos (sp??) Islands??

If you have questions on the Gemini 105, PM me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-01-2006
Banned

Yep, Turks and Caicos Islands, down at the far south end of the Bahamian chain, just north of the middle of Hispaniola. Politically part of the British West Indies, but really nothing to do with the Caymans at all, near as I can tell. We are living in family-owned vacation home while we build a house on Providenciales. Have been here a year next week. In that time I have left once, for a cruise of the Alaska inland passage two weeks ago. Got scads of photos if anyone cares about that. Great whale shots, etc.

I have been researching catamarans for several years now, fell in love with the Leopard 42, but reality is that we need a shallow draft, inexpensive ( now THERES an oxymoron, an inexpensive boat) cat for two people to cruise with. The narrow beam doesnt hurt, either, as slips are scarce here.

One question I have is what is the "D" version of the 105. I know it started as a re-designed 3400 in 96, and there was an M version, then an MC, but what is the D all about?

Well, there are other questions. Like if the outboard made so much sense, why the change to inboard diesel?

T'ings lak dat, as dey say here.
Old 09-01-2006

Blue Eagle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Blue Eagle
catamarans

Hi Canibul,

From the sounds of what you've said you're looking for, one of the Wharram designs might work well for you. The come from a slightly hippy-dippy design tradition, but they're very seaworthy boats, very shallow, and comparatively cheap to build.

A friend of mine got his 30 footer built down in the Philippines, and sailed it back up to HK over six or seven days with a couple of friends of his.

The Wharram range of designs can be found at www.wharram.com.

Fair winds,

Blue Eagle
Old 09-01-2006
Banned

Hello Blue,
Thanks for the suggestion. I am somewhat familiar with Wharram on some basis. I watch one sail between here and the reef a mile offshore every sailable day. Thats usually seven days a week. I like the design of the boat, but not so much the accomodations. The smaller ones are pretty spartan.
We like the bridgedeck concept. The fewer stairs the better. Also, my wife and I are tall people. I have looked into several boats that look good on paper, get great writeups, I scour the specs, the photos, the prices, start oking into logistics etc, and then finally, somewhere, see a spec for standing headroom in the hulls, 6 ft. or similar. Thats no good. I am six two, wife five eleven. Its the little things some times..

In general what I am seeming to find is that European boats, including English and French, tend to have less headroom. Australian, South African, and US boats seem to have more. Just a fact of life, I guess,but I dont intend to bang my shaven head any more than I have to .
Old 09-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Canibul-

IIRC–The Gemini 105D version is the last version using the older hull design. I believe the newer hull design was to give the boat a bit more load capacity and buoyancy, as the individual hulls themselves are wider.

It was redesigned in 1995, as the 105M and had a new hull design. The cabin layout, centerboard and rudder design, and sailplan are the same as the previous boats, and the following boats.

The main difference between the previous versions and the 105M is the hull shape, which has a more teardrop like shape, with a slightly wider beam for each hull, while the overall beam is the same. The bows are bit more vertical and they changed the keel slightly.

In 2000, they upgraded the design to the 105Mc. The major difference between the 105M and the 105Mc is the interior mold used. In the 105Mc, the interior mold goes from stem to stern and side to side in a single molding. The cockpit was also modified, probably for the cockpit enclosure they offer. A bit later, in 2002 I think, they changed the centerboard design slightly, and modified the sail plan—I believe the mast is a bit taller on the post 2002 Gemini 105Mc's.

I hope that helps.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-01-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
Here's a tid bit...
We'll be leaving from Alameda sailing out on S.F. Bay tomorrow (can't wait as winds are predicted at 18-25 kts.). This will be a "fun" trip and we discussed flying the Jolly Roger in recognition of Mr. Cayard's feats on the V.O.R. "Pirates of the Caribbean" (S.F. is his home) and the recent release of the movie sequel. Alas, we opted not to as Alameda is in the East Bay and we do not want to be confused for Oakland Raider fans.

Oops. Wrong thread. Thought I was in the "Fight Club". Now I know it's Friday.

Last edited by Parley; 09-01-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2006
Banned

Thanks Sailing Dog. Its getting a little clearer all the time. It was my impression that all the Geminis after the original 3000 were called the 3400 until 96, when they came out with the 105M. I had worked out that the 105MC had provisions for various cockpit enclosures. Then I have seen listings for "105DL" but am not sure what exactly that is. I know the pre-96 hulls were almost 'displacement' style hulls, with a hull speed limited by the hull shape. Then with the 105 re-design the hulls were changed so that they were wider, etc. and would plane up onto the water better making the boats faster all other things being equal. For example, I have read one description that stated that the 7 knots max achieved with an outboard in the 3400 hulls could not be increased without a HUGE increase in horsepower.

Also, somewhere in there they started offering a screecher rig. I have talked a lot with one of the DuFours who once owned a 3400, and tried a screecher rigged 105. He said he had a lot of aggravation with the screecher fouling in the jibstay, as they were just too close together.

I still havent come up with a more suitable boat for my purposes, though. Oh, if I wanted to spend $ 300K I would probably buy a Manta or R&C leopard. But I dont want to spend that much for a used boat with limited skinny water clearance. Its overkill for two people who see no reason to ever cross the Atlantic.