New Sailor/Lyme Disease - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 11-01-2015 Thread Starter

New Sailor/Lyme Disease

New Sailor/Lyme Disease
Subject: Purchasing First Sailboat (Recovering from Lyme Disease; Unique Case)

Hello Everyone. New to the forum. Seems like a great community with a ton of knowledgeable and helpful sailors. I was hoping to gain some insight regarding the purchasing of my first sailboat. I am completely new to sailing, just completed my ASA 101 Basic Keelboating Class, and plan to work my way up through every level as my skills improve.

I have somewhat of a unique case, as I am still recovering from a five-year battle with Lyme Disease, so I am restricted due to the amount of physical labor some boats require. My goal is to work toward obtaining my captainís license, while learning to sail proficiently, and then start some kind of boating business down the road once I fully regain my health. I am not working right now, so I am quite capable of getting out on the water for 4 hours each day in pursuit of my captainís license.

I am looking for something I can singlehand. However, boats like Lasers or a Sunfish, or any boat where hiking is required are too physically taxing for me at this time. After doing a little research online, I came across a boat called the 2.4MR. It serves primarily to accommodate sailors who are handicapped, or older sailors who are no longer capable of constantly ducking under the boom. So it is specifically designed to be very easy to handle in a physical sense.

My 101 instructor was intrigued by the 2.4MR, but since it only seats one person, he recommended the Flying Scot, in the event that I wanted to bring some family or friends aboard for the day. And with some practice and more lessons, I would eventually be able to single hand the FS. (The fact that the 2.4 only seats one person is not a deal breaker for me, but my instructor thinks I will appreciate the extra passenger space down the road.) The FS seems to get great reviews online, however after watching some videos and viewing some pictures, it seems that while sailing a FS, people do quite a bit of hiking, which physically I may not be capable of for quite some time. Is hiking required on a FS? Its other drawback is that it is not a keelboat. I have read that it is pretty hard to capsize, but not impossible. Given my physical condition, I would prefer the reassurance of sailing a boat that in fair conditions, simply is not going to capsize (keelboat.) Another downside to both the 2.4MR and the FS is that there is no cabin space to get away from the elements. My instructor mentioned a Trimaran that could be sailed single handedly, would not be too labor intensive, and would also have sleeping quarters in order to get away from the elements, but I believe these are a bit more expensive, and I can deal with the lack of cabin space if need be.

So I am wondering if there is a boat out there that would be best fit for my situation. Are there keelboats for a novice sailor that are capable of being sailed single handedly, not too labor intensive and also provide a space to seek shelter on a rainy day? Also, are the boats I have mentioned best suited for sailing in a harbor? Or are they capable of also being sailed in slightly rougher waters at sea? (not too far off shore of course.) I would really appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer. Thank you very much.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-01-2015

Re: New Sailor/Lyme Disease

Many small keelboats I think would fit the bill perfectly for you . . . It is still very much a buyers market out there . . . Others will chime in with many suggestions . . . Start shopping yacht world in the 25- 27 foot range see what you like etc. what's your budget?
post #3 of 36 Old 11-01-2015

Google "Ideal 18 Club programs". Dozens of clubs and Community sailing organizations have fleet programs. No purchase or maintenance is required if you can access one of the programs. The boat can easily be single handed and can handle a skipper and a crew of three. Ticks all the boxes except shelter from the weather.

The Ideal 18, which frequently used as a trainer for disabled sailors, will allow you to gain skill without great physical prowess.

I have no affiliation with the Ideal 18, Shumway Marine, or any organization sponsoring an Ideal 18 program. But I've seen the program in action and admire its ability to minimize the barriers to sailing.

post #4 of 36 Old 11-01-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, Mike. I'd like to keep the price around $15K if possible. Do you have a suggestion as to a particular model/ship builder I should be looking for?
post #5 of 36 Old 11-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdbracken66@gmail.com View Post
Thanks for the response, Mike. I'd like to keep the price around $15K if possible. Do you have a suggestion as to a particular model/ship builder I should be looking for?
where will you be sailing , trailer or kept in the water

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 36 Old 11-01-2015 Thread Starter

In the water. Looking for a slip in a local marina.
post #7 of 36 Old 11-01-2015

Ericson, Catalina, Albin Vega, . . . . . Check out sailboat swap shop on Facebook, lots of fun stuff and some inexpensive keelboats etc
post #8 of 36 Old 11-01-2015
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Perhaps check out the 23' Sonar, which can handle 1-5 people and was designed for disabled sailing. I think an older model would be well within your price range.

Last edited by gamayun; 11-01-2015 at 09:12 PM.
post #9 of 36 Old 11-01-2015

For 15k you can get a Very good keelboat that you can sleep on with a head and an engine and simple galley . . . I truly think you would get more enjoyment out of it than an open day sailor . . .
post #10 of 36 Old 11-01-2015

Not to change the subject, but don't give up on fighting the Lyme disease. I used strong natural anti-parasitic herbal formulas to get rid of it. Quinine (Peruvian Tree bark), black walnut and wormwood based. Took about 3 months but it worked quite well. Now I use that stuff during the summer as a preventive supplement.
I suggest using smaller boats that are more of a cruising type. They are simpler to sail and more stable, and require less physical effort to operate.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.