What is in your kit bag? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By caberg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-03-2015 Thread Starter

What is in your kit bag?

As a yacht delivery skipper it is impossible to predict everything that you might need whilst on passage... I wrote a list though of the things I always take with me!

What is in a yacht delivery skipper?s kit bag

What do you carry in your kit bag?

Pete

Halcyon Yachts - International Yacht Delivery
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-04-2015
Master Mariner

Re: What is in your kit bag?

You young uns have got it made.
Back in the "old days" I had to carry a sextant, sight reduction tables, a nautical almanac, a couple of stop watches, a chronometer, maneuvering boards or the paper to make them, a handbearing compass, sometimes charts, navigation tools like dividers and a parallel rule and plenty of pencils. And then there's those things I still carry today, like binos, a hand held vhf, foulies and boots. Oh, and don't forget my Walkman and a half a hundred cassettes, or so (I LOVE my IPOD).
All that now fits in a little plastic case about 4" X 6" X 2"!
I can't imagine having to go through security today with my navigation "kit". Even back then all that raised some eyebrows.
I guess you have to pick up a new rigging knife every trip, huh? lol
But on the plus side, at least there was legroom on the plane and the stews were friendly, nice looking gals. I even got one to crew on the delivery!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by capta; 11-04-2015 at 07:56 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-04-2015

My Spot, hand held VHF, hand held GPS, Rain suit, a change of underwear and enough booze to keep me happy for a week.

Cheers,

Gary
post #4 of 7 Old 11-04-2015

I always carry a spool of 1.75mm dyneema. There seems to be nothing it can't fix when used with duct tape. Splicing kit, GPS and extra batteries, life jacket/harness, extra sun glasses, contacts and eye glasses.

Did I mention the splicing kit? It seems like every boat I delivered had a halyard or sheet break.

Greg
post #5 of 7 Old 11-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Did I mention the splicing kit? It seems like every boat I delivered had a halyard or sheet break.
You have some seriously bad luck. Or maybe you should inspect the running rigging beforehand.
capta likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2015

Lots of deliveries back from ocean races... The boats are battered and waiting on getting home for a maintenance cycle.

Greg
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2015

Bring assorted shackles, extra pieces of line, twine, extra batteries for everything, a spare block or two. Plus tools. and Tape

Charts. Don't count on assurances as to what's on board. Once I got on a Cal-25 on zero notice to go from Mhead to Block Island Race week, "everything you need is on board", except groceries. Well, yeah, except pots, pans, and charts. the Light List I brought got me through (this in the 1970s so low-tech, no electronic anything). We ended up cooking out of a saltine tin.

Actually, it was a fun trip. But check what's on board first. I just didn't have the opportunity this time, if we hadn't got underway pronto, we'd have missed the tide in the Cape Cod canal.

Also, don't forget to pack up your troubles too ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9prSR6Nws

Last edited by nolatom; 11-05-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.