Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006

lasailor is on a distinguished road
I would also offer up J. Slocum, St Brendan in a hide boat 'tween the Old and New Worlds and lets us not fort the good Capt. Bligh - who did a 3000+ nm trip in a 23 foot lifeboat.

Though I would guess if the Coast Guard had caught wind of something like that, they would have terminated the voyage - even back then.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Surfesq seems to have a problem with being able to read. But then again, he's one of those sailors who needs a 42' boat, with a 42" LCD HDTV, and every gadget known to man before he'll even put the boat in the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Sailing Dog: Let's face it...Admit you are too much of a ***** to sail a 22 foot sailboat across the Pacific with just a Sextant. But you are man enough to call everyone on this site stupid. Unlike you, I have sailed across an Ocean.
Old 09-04-2006

Capn Dave: You are missing the point...I celebrate anyone with the balls to sail anything across an ocean. I think Sailing Dog has not sailed more than 100 miles offshore. But don't believe me. Type the word "stupid" on this search feature for this site. You wll find Sailing Dog regularly uses the term to describe other sailors.
Old 09-05-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. I think I preferred Sailnet before every thread was subject to Fight Club-ization. Stick to PMs for personal stuff, please.

Fstbttms is right to question the validity of the original story-- history detectives may find it was exaggerated over time. Maybe the boat was shipped back from Hawaii, maybe it only went once with two, maybe never at all. My sense is that it did make it, but I haven't hired private eyes.

Still, I think there are enough simliar stories to warrant the question. In fact, I bet there are more similar trips than are commonly known. One of my favorite stories is that of Ed Hart's -- http://www.solantamity.com/Extraneous/MuggingsPlus.htm. He went to Hawaii in an Islander 24. Then a Cal 25. Then he circumnavigated in a Cascade 29 (a $10k investment...).

I also like this Cal 20 that went to Hawaii: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/...halupaprep.htm

Then, of course, there's the Cal 25 that circumnavigated (a $15k investment), with a growing family enroute: http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin.html

I like Nigel Calder's take on this. In the introduction to his Cruising Handbook (2001), he notes that he's never crossed an ocean, and maybe never will. He has more than a few bluewater miles, though.

His advice about those "researching" the latest $3,000 navigational aid before taking off is that it's likely evidence of their lack of confidence in their seamanship. Spend the $3,000 on something that will improve your confidence, like a course or an offshore training passage, he advises. I think this also ties to the "fear" comments made in this thread. Maybe the thread's title should have been "More confidence, or less sense?"

Jim H

Last edited by Jim H; 09-05-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2006

Jim: You don't make the Rules. And, my point is relevant to this thread. The most prolific purveyor of advice on this Site is Sailing Dog. (aka Mayor McCheese). Anyone who disagrees with his point of view is "stupid" to use his words. (Meanwhile giving advice on the best flat screen TV on another thread seeking advice on same). Yet, he has never sailed more than 100 miles offshore. So you have to take his "advice" with a grain of salt. Sorry, it had to be said because his pointed criticism and hollow opinions have grown tiresome.

Anyone can sail any boat anywhere in the world. That point has been proven over and over again by countless people. There is no doubt that one can sail a 22 foot sailboat anywhere under any conditions. But what is the point? It reminds of a bright idea some hippies in California had a few years ago: They decided to sell "natural" apple juice. Guess what happened? Children died because they forgot that Louis Pasteur was a hero for inventing a little thing called Pasteurization. The point is Yes, quaint gadgets like Sextants are fun but they are obsolete. Use the tools that are available.

Last edited by Surfesq; 09-05-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2006

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
“The people who would take on voyages like sailing to Hawaii in a Columbia 22 were far better sailors than a lot of the sailors out today. They were sailing for the love of sailing, and saw it as a craft”. This epitomizes the reasons why guts got the upper hand over sense in those days. On the other hand, every sailor will tell you that you should not sail a 22 footer to Hawaii if you don’t feel to have enough confidence and if you do so being inexperienced/ill prepared for such a huge task you are just stupid!

Last edited by chrondi; 09-07-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
I fail to see, yet, why one would care much about what OTHER people's motivation is for owning and/or sailing a boat. If someone has the money, and wants to buy a half million dollar boat and load it up with as much hi-tech gear as possible, who cares? Why sneer at them and say "oh, but they aren't REAL sailors like me..."?
The same thing happens in many endeavors. You ever take a look at the stuff Boy Scouts use to go camping these days? Or mountain climbers? Or how about a simple bicycle? It seems you cant find a simple bicycle in many places, you have to have 20 or 30 gears, three or more suspension points, disc brakes....but guess what, its still just a bicycle underneath all that crap.

Why not celebrate a loose brotherhood of people who just love boats? Thats what the people here have in common, I think. They like boats.

petty back stabbing, name calling, denigrating someone else's choices of navigational instruments? Making a big deal for DAYS on end over whether someone wants not only a tv onboard, but (GASP! HORRORS!) a FLATSCREEN HDTV to boot! why, thats outrageous! Next thing you know, that greedy consumer will put something else new on his boat!! what an infantile, immature, and basically mean-spirit that all reveals.
Old 09-05-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Views expressed here are the posters opinions. Why is that so hard to understand? Opinions vary, and what ever expertise is intimated, should, like all things on the internet be subject to "cavet emptor". And just as opinions vary, so do peoples choices. What seems a luxury to one, my seem a necessity to another. There's no need to put someone down for their opinions or choices. One can disagree without such shennagins. Not only is it childish, it never fails to take the thread off topic. Make your point, dispute someone else's INTELLIGENTLY if you can, but dispute their point, not the person.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-05-2006

PB: For once I actually agree with you! Wow....better make a note. That was the point I was making..well sort of. I mean how is that little "lecture" relevant in anyway to the topic at hand? Other than satisfying your apparent need to be a School Marm it really serves no purpose.

Yes, I have a flat screen TV on my boat because I can. And by the way, there is nothing better than spinning on a hook on your boat watching the Skins. (I wish it was 42"). I have done my share of roughing it. Camping under plastic tarps as a Boy Scout, long sails on little boats because that was all I could afford. I admire people who take these longs sails on lousy boats. But I am also entitled to think they are nuts! I say if the Techology is available use it. It's a heck of lot easier to find Bermuda with a GPS than it is with a Sextant. And I have done both.