Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
There is always the pull between those who want more government and those that want less. Both sides have their points in this case and so it is not clear or easy to choose a side. I prefer to keep government out of my life but at the same time it would be nice to see them issue a ticket to someone endangering others lives.

Actually, yes I do own the road!

Last edited by pigslo; 09-05-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I was on Lake Texoma over the weekend, but did not see the accident. I heard many details about it, although they were all second hand.

Let me start off by saying I am NOOOOOO fan of these boats. I went on one once with a friend of mine that had no shortage of money for toys. You cannot hear a crappin' thing. It is ZZHHHHEEEEWWWWWW across the water way. Your hair is blown to hell. Your eyeballs all dried out. Your lips flappin' like a monkeys. God forbid if anything flies off. It does not need to float b/c there is no way you could go get it anyway! Once we made it across the lake (in a matter of minutes), he stopped and turned to me and the wives, and said, "Wow! Was that sweet... Or what?"

The thought of saying, "Or what!!" came to my mind, but I did not feel like swimming back. We took them out on our boat later (sail boat). I think he fell asleep, though his wife liked it.

It just is not my speed (no pun intended!). I guess it is not anyones speed that probably reads this forum. But I like blue. Others like green. I don't own the water. Each to his own.

I for one am sorry they got hurt and killed, though I could not care less for their boats sinking. Maybe out of all of this some good can come: racing and speed regulation. On Fort Myers Beach, they have the annual racing circuit just off the coast. You can anchor out and sit there and watch them fly by at incredible speeds. It is regulated and patroled (C Guard, Sherrif, etc.). When a boat is moving that fast, it SHOULD be regulated unless they are far enough offshore that they are unlikely to hurt anyone else. Anyone who thinks they should be able to open up a boat to those types of speeds without a speed limit or regulation is CRAZY!! This is especially true on lakes and waterways that are open to the public.

Those are just my opinios, but I am the only Republican that is a Bleeding Heart Liberal. I hate to see people hurt, anyone.. though I am glad it was only the people participating. There is still enough water on the world for us all to share. We just need to find a way to all get along.
Old 09-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not saying that there should be mandatory licensing...but every boater, especially one that is handling a lethal weapon, capable of killing quite a few people, because it is moving at 30+ knots without any real effective brakes, should at least have a basic understanding of boating rules of the road and boating ettiquette. A sailboat, doing seven knots is not going to cause that many problems, and isn't anywhere near as hazardous to innocent bystanders as a high-speed powerboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-05-2006

Cat400 is on a distinguished road
Shortly after we purchased our sailboat we along with many other sail and power boats on Lake Texoma witnessed our first poker run. This was last summer and it about scared both my wife and I half to death. Fortunately we are still around to talk about it.

About ten minutes after the boats passed us (we were heading east and they were going in the opposite direction) the Coast Guard announced that there would be a poker run on the lake. Not that a timely announcement would have helped but it would have given us some warning.

As I understand it speed is not required to win the race the best poker hand wins. With that said Flash Gordon and other race boats passed us at excessive speeds if not at wide open throttle. We had no choice but to sit there and wait out the onslaught of boats heading directly towards us.

I have to agree with dakuehn that racing up and down Texoma (there are narrow areas) is not in the best interest nor safety of other boaters. The practice should be stopped on Lake Texoma before others are killed or seriously injured.

The Coast Guard along with the Army Corp of Engineers needs to manage this situation and put a stop to any further events of this kind on Texoma and other similar size lakes.
Old 09-05-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
I'm appalled at the lack of empathy expressed in this thread. The offshore power boat community is deeply saddened by this accident if any of you would care to check in on the larger offshore power boat forums. I am both a sailor and a power boater, so I find this animosity between the two factions unfortunate.

Organized poker runs are not races although there are always individuals who are out to be the fastest boat on the lake, ocean, etc. Excessive speeds on a very crowded holiday weekend should not be permitted and it is up to the poker run organizers to police their participants for both speed and stupidity. I've seen rude and arrogant behavior equally displayed during sailing regattas.

From what I understand this accident was the result of mechanical failure and the boats are to be reconstructed to determine the exact cause.

We should all keep the families involved in this tragedy in our thoughts as fellow boaters.
Old 09-05-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by resdog
I'm appalled at the lack of empathy expressed in this thread. The offshore power boat community is deeply saddened by this accident if any of you would care to check in on the larger offshore power boat forums. I am both a sailor and a power boater, so I find this animosity between the two factions unfortunate.

Organized poker runs are not races although there are always individuals who are out to be the fastest boat on the lake, ocean, etc. Excessive speeds on a very crowded holiday weekend should not be permitted and it is up to the poker run organizers to police their participants for both speed and stupidity. I've seen rude and arrogant behavior equally displayed during sailing regattas.

From what I understand this accident was the result of mechanical failure and the boats are to be reconstructed to determine the exact cause.

We should all keep the families involved in this tragedy in our thoughts as fellow boaters.
You said it better than I did. Amen.
Old 09-05-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
These events are held across the country, drawing thousands of spectators. I am not against these events, but common sense must prevail. Over 100 boats were entered in this poker run, and not one sailboat.

Heres one suggestion. We, as sailing enthusiasts, enter these non-race poker runs. As a group, I believe we could make some changes. For example, it would take oh, 2 days with decent winds to make all the stops.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-05-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Resdog,

As I have said (and others): I regret the loss of life. I cannot speak for the others who do not share my sympathies, but I will say that after many close encounters, sailors in general have a problem with a speeding bullet that can kill them and their families.

I ENJOY watching the offshore races in Fort Myers. It is monitored and patrolled. A wide open free-for-all on a lake risks many more lives than just their own.

If I can make a view point, and maybe a bad one: If you go offshore, you take your life in your own hands. It is your risk (though you may risk the Coast Guard too, but that is another story). When they speed like that down a lake with little or no regulation, they take everyones lives in their hands. I think that is the frustration with many sailors in this thread... but I cannot and will not attempt to speak for them.

Again, to quote what I wrote earlier, "I for one am sorry they got hurt and killed..." Many, many others that have read this and may not have replied feel the same.
Old 09-05-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I have great empathy for the families of the people that lost their lives.

HOWEVER, while it was caused by mechanical failure, it wasn't a "sudden" failure.

As stated before, the flash gordon boat had steering problems at the previous stop. He also had steering problems leaving that stop.

These are not facts, these are observations of at least 6 people AT THE STOP.

It was not an accident. It was a collision.

How many of the sailors here would consider continuing a voyage with a questionable rudder?

It would be nice to ask flash why he continued, but he's dead, so is his wife, so is his daughter, So is his son-in-law, and so is the wife of another boatowner.

I do not have any sympathy at all for the individuals that recklessly put other people in harms way, without regard for any human life. In my opinion, thats exactly what happened here. If you want to skydive, knock yourself out. If you want me to strap my happy ass to you, you got another thing comin' .

Quote:
Originally Posted by resdog

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Considering that one boat had serious steering problems... continuing to operate the boat, especially at high speed, is essentially committing suicide by boat. Continuing on was due to either extreme stupidity or arrogance on the part of the boat's captain. If his passengers chose not to get off a boat that was having mechanical issues, and about to be run at fairly high speeds, that was a choice they made.

I do have some sympathy for the captain of the second boat to some degree, as his wife was killed mainly through the actions of the first. However, he too had a choice not to continue. I would be interested in knowing whether he was aware of the problems that the first boat was having, and if so, why he decided to continue with the non-race.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.