Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderFog
They were not boating safely.

Sounds like natural selection to me.

Signed,
Darwin
Insensitive and inapproriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2006

reflexx is on a distinguished road
i'll make sure to point and laugh in the same way when one of you morons dies sailing by getting caught in a storm. then I'll say you weren't "boating safely". Gibson is my next door neighbor and a very experienced and professional boater. If anything, Mineo was at fault for continuing after mechanical trouble. Personally, I'd keep the offshore boats - offshore..., but no activity short of sitting inside a concrete house is 'safe'. You gonna go talk sh** about someone's grandpa that died falling off the toilet, too? He must have been crapping unsafely.

I drive race cars and we also take every precaution we can, but we know every time we go out there that there's a possibility of danger. Most kind of thrills carry some risk.

To be so unsensitive to such an incident is childish and moronic. I will be the first one to spit on your grave when lightning hits your mast when you're out 'boating safely'.
Old 09-10-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
I would go spit on his grave, too, for that remark. But I aint standing in line again for anybody..
Old 09-10-2006

wlcoxe is on a distinguished road
Out of place...

If "offshore" boats are kept "offshore" where there is room for them to run, isn't that the same as keeping 200 mph capable cars on the tracks where they can run relatively safely, and even the spectators know there are some risks involved? There are cigarette type boats that run on Fishers Island and Long Island Sounds, and they mainly keep away from other traffic. Regulations? In Connecticut, you are supposed to have a "Safe Boating Certificate". but it doesn't guarantee that the boater knows everything. Like a driver's license, it means a person has been exposed to the basics. Sorry for the tragedy and the trauma to the families and friends, and you cannot legislate judgement, and, we don't ever know everything.
Old 09-12-2006

923 is on a distinguished road
I can not believe what I am reading. I found this forum by accident and can't believe the lack of sympathy. You guys are insensitive as hell. I have been powerboating for 15 years, I love it, the sound of the motor, the high speeds, it's a rush. If it is not your cup of tea, fine. Don't say we are reckless and act like we deserve to die.Hellosailor, you commented how Bruce and Gordon didn't know anything about boats, well let me tell you, Gordon built his himself, he was a retired pro. drag racer, he knew what he was doing. Bruce had his own crew, just like a race team, they both traveled around the country to poker runs and if they won gave their winnings back to the charity. They were all class acts. Alot more than I can say about the people on this site. Sailingdog, you are a f--king dumbass, a boat at 60 is not putting out any wake compared to one plowing not on plane. I have always been courtious to other boaters, I keep up with all laws in the states I go, and even took a safety class even though it was not required. But to the people making the bad remarks, I wish I knew where you boated because I would show you a fly by at 70, then I would come plowing at about 20 feet and knock everything on the floor including your sorry asses.
Old 09-12-2006

923 is on a distinguished road
Another thing, some of you keep assuming there was alcohol involved, no there was not. They were non drinkers. Every poker run I have been in does not allow alcohol to even be in the boats, if you are caught with it you are disqualified. Lets stop assuming, when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.
Old 09-12-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
a couple of observations

[quote=carriejones2003]People on that lake know when the poker run is and to stay out of the way. We enjoy watching these guys.

A bit arrogant wouldn't you say? It is a good thing that people know when to stay out of a few ciggarette boaters way isn't it. I am afraid that part of your post only reinforced the idea that ciggarette boats think they have more rights to the water.

That being said I would ask all of my fellow blowhards on this board to just shuttup for now until the facts are in. You blowhards know who you are. You post on every thread just regardless of haveing any contribution just to see your own words in print.
Old 09-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 923
Sailingdog, you are a f--king dumbass, a boat at 60 is not putting out any wake compared to one plowing not on plane. I have always been courtious to other boaters, I keep up with all laws in the states I go, and even took a safety class even though it was not required. But to the people making the bad remarks, I wish I knew where you boated because I would show you a fly by at 70, then I would come plowing at about 20 feet and knock everything on the floor including your sorry asses.
This is exactly the attitude that some powerboaters have that make them exceptionally rude people to deal with. Even though a boat on plane at 60 doesn't make as large a wake as one not on plane or just dropping off of plane, it does make a significant wake. You're an @$$hole for thinking that something moving at 60 knots isn't going to disturb the water.

The real issue I had with this particular incident is that one boat clearly had a serious mechanical problem, yet they decided to continue on even in spite of that fact, without taking the proper precautions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-12-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
" I wish I knew where you boated because I would show you a fly by at 70, then I would come plowing at about 20 feet and knock everything on the floor including your sorry asses."

wow, all I can say is... wow... its attitudes like this that cause problems. here is something you should look at , does anyone see anything out of whack....

I love the poker runs, I love the boats. We all mourn the families loss. It has been determined that booze WAS NOT A FACTOR.

The investigation is continuing.

this is NOT from the day of the event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlQNB07J_6c
please look at seconds :04 thru :09

heres another, NOT from the event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqn4uv5PAig
I don't know the date or time of this video, but pay particular attention to seconds 1:04 thru 1:06, 2:08 thru 2:20

but this IS from the day of the event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3wSqb-C15A
and so is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlTxicStQ-8
look at seconds :15 thru :19

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-12-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
Great attitude. Just goes to show that the mental capacity to start an engine and turn a wheel is at the very very lowest end of any perceived seamanship.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.