SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Watermaker plans

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  aeventyr60 
#1 ·
Who has a fairly recent set of water maker plans with component part numbers and websites of suppliers of them that they are willing to share?

#7 · (Edited)
Do consider to follow Leo Lichtfeld's description and plans, as they are spot on.
For long term cruising; and for commentary for a 6 year upgrade to my comments in that previous thread, consider .....
A BRONZE head high pressure pump.....
Carry extra high pressure gages, those stainless steel gages for high pressure sea water will only last 3-4 years in seawater.

Id also recommend that if you do DIY build, you also download Filmtec's Operation and Maintenance manual so that you can 'restore/regenerate' the membrane when bio-fouled and needing sanitization. Such chemicals (peracetic acid + hydrogen peroxide, and sodium hydroxide) can be 'dangerous' if you dont have the chemical 'safety' expertise. A commercial source of the peracetic/H202 is found under the brand name 'Minncare' and such 'cleaning' needs chemical 'dip sticks' to be sure/verify that this chemical is flushed entirely after sanitization.
eg.: http://inaqua.de/Prod/nano/pdf_en/02.1_Cleaning.pdf

Placing the highpressure pump ON the engine, needs a very strong mounting, one that can withstand the constant engine vibration. Without such consideration, your 'mounting' will be quite vulnerable to metal fatigue.
I would also recommend an automatic belt tensioner for an engine mounted pump system (McMaster-Carr, etc.).

I would also strong suggest that the chosen water feed pump to the high pressure pump be rated for 'continuous duty' service as if the pressure pump is not continually supplied with water .... it will instantly burn out and destroy itself.

Most of the components can be found on eBay, etc. if youre patient. Typically most of the components will be found there during wintertime when 'pressure washers' arent being used.

#4 ·
I built my 32+ gph, watermaker from scratch, for right around 2k.
First thing I did was locate a pump. They're by far the most expensive item. It took about two months of dedicated searching, but I finally found virtually new one at a very good price.
Then I went online and found half a dozen diagrams from various manufacturers and consolidated their best features into the system I wanted to build. Some specialized parts I got from Cruise RO Water & Power, others I searched out myself, including the membrane.
A little tweaking over the years and I'm really happy with my 2k system, and the other $3500 was well spent otherwheres.
Rich with Cruise RO Water is incredibly helpful even if you aren't a customer, should you need help. He can also supply the specialized parts that might be better bought from a company that has already researched their suitability for this purpose.

#17 ·
This is killing me. I know I saved a copy of exactly what you're looking for. I just couldn't recall if it was a website bookmark, pdf download, or what it was. I'm sorry to say, I've given up. I know it had part numbers and all. I really want to find it and if I do, I will post.

Nevertheless, I googled "home made marine watermaker" and did get a ton of helpful hits. None were what I remembered, as I thought I had specific brand and part numbers, even more than one for each. But some of the google hits get you pretty close, it seems.

#18 ·
After reading this thread through something comes to mind. Don't get me wrong I do understand the "Do It Yourself" thing all too well I work on my own things a bit. But there is something to be said about buying new and getting a Warranty then when something goes wrong the warranty pays, when you do it your self and something goes wrong it's all on yourself (read wallet) And I understand those membranes are a rather finicky things and rather expensive. Just my 2 cents worth.

#22 ·
If you DIY you still have a warranty. Its' just individual parts from whoever you brought the item from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.