Plans To Redevelop Alameda Marina In The Works - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-20-2015 Thread Starter
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Plans To Redevelop Alameda Marina In The Works

And at a community meeting last night, the developer showed 4 or 5 iterations of the plan, none of which included ANY marine businesses. The boatyard, chandlery, sailmakers, metalshop, electricians etc.- all gone. 100% mixed retail and residential.

Good info, discussion and links here:

Alameda Marina redevelopment
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-20-2015
Beyond The Pale

Re: Plans To Redevelop Alameda Marina In The Works

This is horrible news, and it was _not_ what was initially proposed, back in 2012.
What is being lost is not just _all_ of the Berth Parking, and the Boat Storage, but also Svendsen's, a Bay Area Institution and the center of an Ecosystem of related Sailing businesses. As pointed out by those who attended the Meetings, some of the Proposals are all Housing, with some small Retail along Clement.
Well, the Shell Oil property is up for Redevelopment, as are the City Corporation Yard and Dog Pound, and they won't be missed. Redevelop the hell out of them, as long as adequate Parking is provided, and at least some thought is given to getting Residents out and then back in to Alameda during Rush Hours.

Parking at neighboring Grand Marina is already tight; its parking lots have already mostly been redeveloped. The Alaska Packers warehouse is already fully let- not enough room for Svendsen's there anyway. I would miss the Blue Pelican if it was forced out.

And what is missing here so far, is what actually happens to the Alameda Marina itself, who runs it and under what terms. Almar- Hell No!

ČErindipity
post #3 of 11 Old 01-18-2016 Thread Starter

This just in from another forum:

We have just learned that Sean Svendsen from Alameda Marina has been forced to resign and the Harbormaster, Brock Delappe has been terminated from duties.

Apparently the primary developer Bill Poland is is axe swinging mode....stay tuned...

post #4 of 11 Old 01-18-2016
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
This just in from another forum:

We have just learned that Sean Svendsen from Alameda Marina has been forced to resign and the Harbormaster, Brock Delappe has been terminated from duties.

Apparently the primary developer Bill Poland is is axe swinging mode....stay tuned...
Yup, I'm on top of that other forum...
Sean Svendsen isn't entirely blameless, just a little... well, just say a little naive. Silver Spoons can be stolen from the mouths of Babes; it was Svend who built the Business- Sean just gets to be Commodore at the St. Francis Yacht Club.

Brock Delappe is blameless here; apparently he was reluctant to move as swiftly as Poland wants, and Poland wants to move _very_ swiftly. Eviction notices are already out. His plan is to raze the Alameda Marina, and then put some ~$250,000,000 worth of Condos and Townhouses in its place, and then move on to his next rape.
Poland is no stranger to being compared to to the final portal of the digestive tract, but he has the entire Perata Clan behind him. (Former State Senator Don Perata is no more a Democrat than Ricard Nixon was a Quaker. His daughter is a real piece of work; she handles several large, and superficially unrelated, PR campaigns for Alameda "Redevelopment", including the Alameda Marina. Don Perata is the contracted City of Alameda Lobbyist...)

So how to stop Bill Poland? He has made some claims recently about prior ownership rights to the Property, which have yet to be Documented. (Until last November, when this was first investigated, there was absolutely _no link_ between his shell companies, and Svendsen's Pacific Shops. Within the last couple of days, a whole lot of webbage have been devoted to his backstory, but in all of the Official Documentation, such as Papers of Incorporation, or Property Transfers, there is not a peep. I've looked over the original 2012 Alameda City Lease renewal. Svendsen, not Poland, signed it. It's not even cc'd to Poland.)

ČErindipity

(I should note that I am not opposed to Housing at the Alameda Marina; where all those ratty RVs are currently stored, I could see a Sailor's Snug Harbor West. I have some glowing childhood memories hanging out with the Snuggies in the property held in Trust for them, and listening to their stories under the deep porches, until they too were evicted, and resettled to Sea Level, North Carolina, where they could be, more conveniently, drowned.)
post #5 of 11 Old 01-18-2016 Thread Starter

I spoke at length with Brock about this situation last Friday. He confirmed that elected Alameda officials are not on board with the plans that Poland has thus far put forth, which is why it is important that we begin the letter writing campaign now:

Also from that other forum:

If you're sitting here reading this thread and you haven't done anything like write to the Alameda City Council members, with a copy going to the City Clerk, then...ahhhhh... well, you think about that.

Here's the City Council: City Council | City of Alameda

Each council members name is a link to their own page which has an e-mail address in it. Keep in mind that e-mail is nice but e-mails can be deleted. However, WRITTEN LETTERS especially if a copy is sent to the City Clerk, can not be ignored or deleted.

Mayor Trish Herrera Spencer
Vice Mayor Frank Matarrese
Councilmember Tony Daysog
Councilmember Marilyn Ezzy Ashcraft
Councilmember Jim Oddie

AND send copies to the City Clerks office --

2263 Santa Clara Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501

I would suggest that folks keep letters to two paragraphs and stick to two or three salient points. Half a page or three-quarters of a page is plenty. Do not imply that you are from Alameda if you don't live there. For heavens sake don't write four pages including your conspiracy theories about the Feds and aliens, OK?

I can hear it now... "I'd write but I don't want to get booted, too".

My friend, are you not paying attention? If Alameda Marina Development LLC is not stopped, you're going to GET BOOTED ANYWAY. Keeping your head down and doing nothing makes you the little puppet, squeezing out another 12 months (maybe) of relief from the merciful hand of the Developer. How long until YOUR 30-day notice is in the mailbox, huh?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-18-2016
Beyond The Pale

And also from that other Forum...
Alan H was apparently the first to be evicted; a coincidence, I'm sure, just after a couple of weeks when he went open with his opposition. He was entirely sympathetic to Dellappe, btw, who gave him the boot.

As for:
"I'd write but I don't want to get booted, too".

All of the Private Marinas in Alameda, which is all of them, talk amongst themselves. Berths are tight, and none of them wants a... Troublemaker.
If I resided in Alameda, my Letters might carry more weight, but I don't; I just Berth there.

Thanks Fstbttms, for keeping the World beyond the Estuary, up to date.

ČErindipity
post #7 of 11 Old 01-19-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
As for:
"I'd write but I don't want to get booted, too".

All of the Private Marinas in Alameda, which is all of them, talk amongst themselves. Berths are tight, and none of them wants a... Troublemaker.
If I resided in Alameda, my Letters might carry more weight, but I don't; I just Berth there.
1.- A letter written to the mayor or council member is not going to end up in the hands of marina management.

2.- Do you believe for a minute that Bill Poland is on cozy speaking terms with the owners and harbor staff at other marinas?

3.- By keeping silent, you are playing right into Poland's hands. And maybe your marina will be next. Man-up and speak out.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-19-2016
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
1.- A letter written to the mayor or council member is not going to end up in the hands of marina management.

2.- Do you believe for a minute that Bill Poland is on cozy speaking terms with the owners and harbor staff at other marinas?

3.- By keeping silent, you are playing right into Poland's hands. And maybe your marina will be next. Man-up and speak out.
"Man-up and speak out." Great advice from another Anonymous Internetter!
I've made my point clear on that thread: Before I'm going to put _anything_ in writing, on paper and signed, I want to make sure that it is factually based, and documented. Facts are few as yet; speculation is rife. And the Alameda Boating Community is not unanimous in their opposition. The guy Berthed next to me is all for Redevelopment; it's his Business after all. Needless to say, he is a Powerboater.

I Want Facts. That's all. I want those Facts that will hold up when it comes to the inevitable Lawsuits, in the years ahead. And I don't want to be accused of Libel in Print, or Slander in Public. Which is why I use a Moniker Here, and There, instead of my real name, as do you, on these matters, for now.

"By keeping silent, you are playing right into Poland's hands." The most vocal opponent on Pressure Drop has already been evicted. Nice guy, but he was perhaps a little too hasty. His Opposition Group, and its Website, promised over a month ago, have yet to appear. Lessons learned.

"Do you believe for a minute that Bill Poland is on cozy speaking terms with the owners and harbor staff at other marinas?"
Um, yes. Owners, certainly; shadowy Real Estate interests have been buying up Alameda Marinas for years. Just check the Property Tax records, which I have done. Facts. The PR Firm that handles Poland's "Bay West Development" also handles "Alameda Point Partners", and "Tim Lewis", which is not only developing the old Del Monte property, but also the neighboring Encinal Terminal, and they have proposed a new Marina there:
Home
Scroll to the bottom. Facts.
Vox Populi is owned by the daughter of Don Perata, ex-State Senator and current Lobbyist for the City Of Alameda, which is a _very_ interesting fact.

The Harbor Staff are another matter; Poland just fired the long-time Harbormaster at the Alameda Marina, or so we hear, but that is still unsubstantiated.
Not a Fact, yet.
"Sean Svendsen has been forced to resign", but from what, exactly? Unsubstantiated. Not a Fact, yet.

I'm staying away from posting on Pressure Drop for now.
It's not paranoia, it's just common sense.

ČErindipity
post #9 of 11 Old 01-19-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:

The Harbor Staff are another matter; Poland just fired the long-time Harbormaster at the Alameda Marina, or so we hear, but that is still unsubstantiated.
Not a Fact, yet.
"Sean Svendsen has been forced to resign", but from what, exactly? Unsubstantiated. Not a Fact, yet.
Having personally spoken with Brock De Lappe within an hour of the news breaking, I can assure you it is all fact.

But you sit on your hands all you like. The rest of us will do the heavy lifting on this one.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 01-19-2016 at 09:55 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-19-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
"Man-up and speak out." Great advice from another Anonymous Internetter!

I'm staying away from posting on Pressure Drop for now.
It's not paranoia, it's just common sense.
BTW- nobody is suggesting you post your real name and address in an anti-redevelopment rant all over the internet. What is being suggested is that you write letters to the Alameda city council.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.