Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Ebay How to show and close a boat sale?

Ebay How to show and close a boat sale ?

Help! What is the Best way to show sell and close a Boat Sale?

Bombard the potential buyer with Lots of info? Buddy up?

Just Listed a 1988 Cal 33 that I used on a Caribbean voyage.

My first boat and never sold a boat before. Any suggestions?

Chuck clcjr54@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Be honest and objective about the current condition of the boat. Don't bother with where you have been with it, no one cares at this point and it add no value to the boat. Post lots of photos, start a web site if you have to with as much detail as possible about the boat. Include an equipment list. Discuss the condition of the bottom (i.e. blisters), engine, rig and sails because these are big dollar items that a potential buyer may assume the worst about. Be available to answer all questions.
Old 09-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should also be open to accepting an auction that is conditional on survey and sea trial, and has a non-refundable good-faith deposit. Many sailboat buyers will not purchase a boat without a survey and sea-trial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Ebay what a Great reponse on my 1988 cal 33

So far I've had 950 people view my auction! in 5 days.
Wow that just blows me away! 38 people are tracking!
I think having a $500 deposit doesn't scare buyers.
Most boats have a $2000 deposit I think thats too steep
Old 09-12-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
non-refundable deposit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
You should also be open to accepting an auction that is conditional on survey and sea trial, and has a non-refundable good-faith deposit. Many sailboat buyers will not purchase a boat without a survey and sea-trial.
I've never heard of a non-refundable deposit, do you really mean that? The deposit commits the buyer to carrying forward on the survey and making a final decision in an agreed-on timeframe. Once the buyer has the survey done, he/she is invested in the deal due to the surveyor cost, and that cost of course is non-refundable. If the buyer choses not to continue with the deal after the survey, the deposit should be refunded. Bye-the-bye, IMHO the buyer should not share the survey with the seller unless the seller wants to pay for it - the P&S should permit the buyer to cancel the offer based a "survey not satisfactory to the buyer" no specifics needing to be shared with the seller.
Old 09-12-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
deposit

the contracts i have seen have the deposit as refundable if the deal does not complete with a time frame revolving around survey and sea trial.
Old 09-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some of the boat brokers up in this area require a non-refundable, but small deposit (usually less than $200), which is good faith money for the seller in case the buyer decides to back out of a deal for no valid reason. If the survey shows something the buyer and seller can not come to an agreement on, the deposit is generally refunded. It is primarily to keep the riff-raff out of the proces, and covers the costs of the sea trial and such. Basically, it is to weed out people who are just looking to get a day sail out by pretending to be interested in the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Some of the boat brokers up in this area require a non-refundable, but small deposit (usually less than $200), which is good faith money for the seller in case the buyer decides to back out of a deal for no valid reason. If the survey shows something the buyer and seller can not come to an agreement on, the deposit is generally refunded. It is primarily to keep the riff-raff out of the proces, and covers the costs of the sea trial and such. Basically, it is to weed out people who are just looking to get a day sail out by pretending to be interested in the boat.
I'm surprised that is your experience. I believe professional brokers use some current version of this form http://www.oceanmarinellc.com/broker...sale%20form%22 titled

STANDARD FORM OF THE YACHT BROKERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA YACHT PURCHASE AND SALE AGREEMENT". This agreement provides only for a refundable deposit based on the buyers notice of rejection of the boat, no explanation required.. While a buyer can (and should) markup this form to meet their requirements, I doubt that a broker would - its their standard wording. $300-800 for a survey makes for an expensive sea trial. A couple came to look at my boat last week and I took them out for the afternoon because it was an excuse to go out

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-12-2006 at 12:06 PM.