SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Filming boats with a drone

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  MarkofSeaLife 
#1 ·
I have finally gone and done it... I have bought a drone!

It is extremely stable and has an excellent on-board camera. I don't have any experience with radio controlled planes or helicopters. The fact that the Phantom 3 is so easy to set-up and fly swung it for me.

Here is my first film:

As long as I don't crash it then there will be more!

I hope you like it?

Pete

#5 ·
My friend has a Phantom that he flies off his powerboat. The images are spectacular and he said the learning curve was pretty low.
I wonder how it would be to launch and retrieve the drone off a sailboat underway. My buddy uses his foredeck as a launching/landing pad but, being a powerboat there are many fewer obstructions.
Your video is beautiful.

#9 ·
I wonder how it would be to launch and retrieve the drone off a sailboat underway.
Not terribly difficult, but you do need to think about the process.

I launch mine from the cockpit of my Crealock 37 by hand-launching and "setting it" outside the lifelines and as soon as I release it I move it lateral from the boat to ensure it doesn't hit anything aft as the boat passes it's position. What the Phantom will do when you release it is attempt to hold it's present position, ff that position is inside the rigging and you leave it at hover you risk collision.

Recovery is actually easier. I match course and speed a few feet abeam then fly it toward me so I can catch it.

Remember that the drone will be flying in the apparent wind so you will have constant control input to maintain position with the boat.

A video I did while underway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.