Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
New Member seeks advices

Hello Sailors,

I have been lurking here for a few months, reading and searching as much as I could. I take the opportunity of introducing myself to a few questions.

We (me and my son 17) have been sailing for a few years with our Capri 14.2 in the upper Chesapeake Bay. We had our shares capsizing, but it was a good experience we have gained. This year, we sailed her a lot, so far no capsize yet

Looking ahead, I would like to get a 30 to 38 boat to sail single-handed in blue water in a few years. It is unlikely that my children or wife with go with me for the whole trip. Therefore, I try to sail solo as much as I can. Here are the questions:

1. Should I buy a 20 to 28 keelboat now and continue to learn more on my own? When the time comes, unload her and get a larger boat? What is the depreciation value of the older boat?

2. Should I keep my Capri and join J-world sailing club, I think they charge $5.5K for a year to sail their J80 and other large boats?

3. Do nothing but sailing the Capri, buy a 30+ boat when I am ready.

I appreciate your comments.

LS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I would suggest that you go the used 25-30 foot boat route. I would suggest that buying a used 25 to 30 footer would be a good next step for you. This should be a small enough boat that you should be able to continue to develop your sailing skills and to learn more about owning and maintaining a boat. If you buy a boat that is in reasonably good shape, of some kind of normal design for the Chesapeake, and you maintain it reasonably well, you should experience minimal depreciation.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thanks Jeff, I always enjoy reading your posts.

What type or brand of sail boats that is suitable for Chesapeake Bay? Will this type of boat permit me to do coastal cruising occasionally?

I have never lived on board, so I don’t know what to expect. Luxury and comfort are often on the bottom of my list. However, speed, ability to survive, and handle well in bad weather is on the top. I always like J-boat or Beneteau, will these work? I don’t see many these on sales. I am very handy and enjoy spending time to work on project of hobby.

LS
Old 09-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like Jeff's suggestion.

There is actually a lot more to learn about cruising, than just the sailing part of it. Boat maintenance, and the systems on a larger keelboat are far more complicated than those on your Capri 14.2. Also, the sailing techniques that work on a small dinghy, and the conditions you can sail it under are far different from those used on a bigger keelboat in stronger winds.

The Ranger 22 and 26, the Cape Dory 25, the Pearson Triton, the Alberg 30, are all pretty good boats. The J/24 is a pretty good boat, but they are often raced, and the used ones can be in pretty rough shape. All of these are common enough that you can find one fairly easily.

The J/24, the Ranger 22 and the 26 are probably faster than the Pearson and the Alberg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

I respect Jeff’s and your’s comments on buying a 22 to 27 keel boat first and then upgrade to a 30+ boat later in a few years. Buy doing so, I would spend more money at the end to get what I want. I always feel that doing it right the first time is always the least expensive and more enjoyable. I just hate to build/upgrade the boat and then sell her later, and start the process all over again. I am no longer a young man any more.

Buying a boat with the size and ability that I need, I can learn to sail her properly and continue to upgrade in the next few years. By then, I should able to have time and skills to sail the blue water.

Your thoughts.
Old 09-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only problem I see with that is the larger 30'+ boat is going to cost significantly more to store, dock, etc for the time you are learning. It may also not be as good a sailboat for the coastal cruising/daysailing you will doing during this learning time period—as it may have a deeper draft and require more wind to sail well.

That said, the Alberg 30 is probably capable of doing what you want in the future. I know of two couples who have moved onto Alberg 30s as liveaboards and are planning to sail them bluewater.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.