Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006

CellNav is on a distinguished road
Best GPS for under $300.00

I'm looking for a GPS for day sailing. The bay I sail in has many reefs and would like a back-up in poor visibility. I don't mind plotting points off a chart, but the ability to import chart data would be a plus. I'm considering the Garmin 60C any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by CellNav; 09-12-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, you'd be better off with the 76C rather than the 60C. The controls are setup better and easier to use, and the 76C has more internal memory than the 60C IIRC. Also, the most important part, the 76C floats, the 60C sinks... so if you drop it in the water, you have a much better chance of recovering the 76C.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
The day sailing factor and your age is important for the screen size that you are working with on the 60C. Daytime was fine but I found that when night sailing those small screen were too much effort for my eyes even with corrected eyeglasses after I hit about age 45. My budget jumped to about $500 fairly quickly so I could get a 172c. I still have a handheld onboard for backup.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...
Old 09-13-2006

mhfowle is on a distinguished road
garmin gpsmap 76

The garmin gpsmap 76 is the way to go. It has good maps, features, etc. It's my 1st gps and I love it for sailing and for driving. You can also upgrade the software. It's only $199. What a deal
Old 09-14-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The screen size is partially a moot point, since you can change the font size displayed on the screen. It is only really a factor if you are trying to look at a larger area on the screen...like for route planning—but in actual, real-time use, it doesn't mean much at all.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-14-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnnero
Daytime was fine but I found that when night sailing those small screen were too much effort for my eyes even with corrected eyeglasses after I hit about age 45.
Captain Nero, I hear you..... :;. I don't mind getting old and not able to pick Chicks, but the failing eye sight is the hardest hit to me.
Old 09-14-2006
yacht broker

more is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
The screen size is partially a moot point, since you can change the font size displayed on the screen. It is only really a factor if you are trying to look at a larger area on the screen...like for route planning—but in actual, real-time use, it doesn't mean much at all.
Oh I disagree on that. Pumping up the font size still doesn't give you the rest of the information because of the limited pixels and surface area. I'm using it mostly for a realtime chart with my position and heading on it. I want to be able to just glance down and see that the chart and boat cursor on the display correlates with what I can see heads up. With the handheld screen size I couldn't easily see enough of the local surrounding area when I zoomed in close enough to see non-text features without squinting. You can increase font size and still have a hard time seeing the contours and landmarks on the chart.

For my headstone:

Old 09-14-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnnero
Oh I disagree on that. Pumping up the font size still doesn't give you the rest of the information because of the limited pixels and surface area. I'm using it mostly for a realtime chart with my position and heading on it. I want to be able to just glance down and see that the chart and boat cursor on the display correlates with what I can see heads up. With the handheld screen size I couldn't easily see enough of the local surrounding area when I zoomed in close enough to see non-text features without squinting. You can increase font size and still have a hard time seeing the contours and landmarks on the chart.
Oh, I generally just use the GPS as backup. I prefer to use paper charts and more traditional navigation methods. I wouldn't recommend anyone use a handheld GPS as a primary navigation method. It is far too easy to miss important navigation information on a handheld GPS. Also, many handhelds don't hold enough chart information IMHO to really be a safe navigation tool.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-14-2006
yacht broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Oh, I generally just use the GPS as backup. I prefer to use paper charts and more traditional navigation methods. I wouldn't recommend anyone use a handheld GPS as a primary navigation method. It is far too easy to miss important navigation information on a handheld GPS. Also, many handhelds don't hold enough chart information IMHO to really be a safe navigation tool.
SailingDog, cool your jets. My eyes aren't so bad yet that you need to use boldface font for me to read it.

I've just been saying that as my eyes aged I couldn't easily get enough important info out of the handheld chartplotter anymore. Actually my original handheld used be one of the brick sized units, not the absolute minimal screen size. Way back when I even navigated without a GPS.

Besides the charplotter I've got the heads up view, the compass, an embossed chart page in the cockpit, and the feedback from the crew going for me.

Now I keep a handheld chartplotter aboard as a backup. The backup is also nice to use down below as an overnight anchor alarm with low power consumption.

For my headstone:

Old 09-15-2006
Telstar 28

Neal-

The boldface wasn't specifically for you, but for people who thing that using a handheld GPS as their only navigation tool is okay. I was pretty sure you wouldn't be doing that.

SD

Telstar 28
New England