Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
funny I just visited a yacht designer's forum where the only thing they could agree on with respect to this fabled number is that it doesn't tell you anything conclusive about the yachts and that it can mislead you into thinking that yachts not meant for offshore are!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2006
Banned

Canibul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI
Some would probably argue (and the reviewer was too polite to say) that a 1984 Catalina 36, even if refit well is simply not a bluewater boat. As great a boat as it was, I never would have attempted a 2000 mile open water trip in my own 36 foot coastal cruiser.
I didnt notice in the article whether he said he would have still made the trip if he HAD up-to-date weather fax. Thats a judgement call he didnt have the information to make.

Why doesnt the SSB still receive without a mike? I dont understand the logic of that, although I am sure some engineer somewhere does.
Old 09-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Canibul-

If the mic plug was damaged, it may have shorted the transmit switch pins and then the SSB would not be able to receive, as it is a simplex radio..and can not receive if it is trying to transmit. Same thing happens with most VHF radios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-13-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Cat...I have owned and loved 2 Catalinas and the CATALINA 36 IS INHERENTLY A BAD CHOICE FOR A PACIFIC PASSAGE. I know how they are constructed and you can't "inspect" your way to safety...you have to design it into the boat. Poorly constructed (for blue water) boats need luck...well designed boats need good skippers.
My point was that I see little in PANDA's story as told on the "Equipped" site that directly relates to whether the Catalina 36 as a class is inherently unsuited to such a passage, a point re-iterated by yotphix in his post. I did not mean to imply that the Catalina 36 is a good blue water boat, just that you can't say it is not based on this particular story.

If it were me, like eric, I probably would have had the sick crewman airlifted off the boat and sailed the boat back with the remaining crew -- and I would have figured out some alternative way of securing the hatch and jury rigging the steering mechanism after they broke (I would have had tools and supplies on board to do so).
Old 09-13-2006
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Canibul-

If the mic plug was damaged, it may have shorted the transmit switch pins and then the SSB would not be able to receive, as it is a simplex radio..and can not receive if it is trying to transmit. Same thing happens with most VHF radios.

Okay, Thanks. I see what you mean. Basically the damaged switch might have been the equivalent of holding down the PTT switch, but with no mike input.

So the SSB would have been transmitting noise and blocking whichever channel it was tuned to, until the transmitter burned out as well, probably?
Old 09-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most of the problems found in the story on the "Equipped" site are clearly due to improper or poor preparation and planning by the owner of the boat, rather than any inherent flaws in a Catalina. Even the rudder failure was something that the owner should have addressed, but did not.

Setting out on a bluewater passage without a fairly complete set of tools is both foolish and dangerous. It is one thing to be few hours from help, and another thing entirely to be days away from help...which would have been the case if he had been in the middle of his voyage, rather than just starting out.

Canibul-

Exactly...and the SSB antenna would have been a fairly serious burn risk if the SSB was transmitting.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-13-2006
Banned

Its always connectors.
Old 09-13-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
SailingDog
Just to be nitpicky , a simplex unit is one where the communication goes only one way i.e. a fire alarm box where you pull the handle and the alarm goes off at the fire station. A VHF or SSB radio is a half-duplex unit that can either transmit or receive but not both at the same time. Full duplex is illustrated by a telephone where transmit and receive happen at the same time.
Old 09-13-2006
Banned

I am trying not to be too critical about the broken SSB connector, but thats certainly the sort of thing that can be McGyver'ed pretty easily by twisting wires together, by passing the connector entirely. With the liklihood that they would be voluntarily passing out of VHF range any moment as they kept sailing, and in keeping contact with USCG, I would have thought that would be worth the 5 minutes to make it a priority.

What I am hearing from this is that one needs to be pretty handy offshore, and lets face , some people are just not wired that way ( no pun intended..)

But its easy to second guess from this warm, dry, comfortable chair looking out at the swells breaking on the reef...
Old 09-13-2006
Telstar 28

Steve- Yup... it is half-duplex, not simplex. BTW, some VHF units are full-duplex as they have two transceivers in them, but usually only high-end land-based stations.

Telstar 28
New England