Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I know I posted a reply to you folks yesterday, it looks like the tired old Sailnet web server ate my homework.

What recourse you have will depend on how you documented the sale & if you put a formal lien on the boat...I hope you did.

I'm not sure about the correct legal charges, they will vary with how you worded your sale contract. Could just be a loan default, could be grand larceny or theft, and when that involves a motor vehicle and and amount over $10k(?) it also allows federal prosecution. So, ask your local, county, state, and federal DA or AG about what charges can be filed--and FILE THEM PROMPTLY. If those offices disagree about wha the charges can be, pursue all options.

Skip tracers can be good, but use the free options as well if you can. Contact the USCG, they have many eyes and ears and they will have the name and description of your boat out to every patrol within 24 hours. A friend of mine was overdue inbound from the USVI some years ago and I called the local USCG station, not knowing how to prepare for a possible "missing vessel" report. Inside of ten minutes they had me connected by phone to the station nearest the departure port (where they were going to check each marina to find out IF they had departed on time) and they had faxed me full papers to fill out in case a formal search was necessary.
(Turned out to be storm problems, they showed up on the 14th day of a "We'll make land in 10 days, 14 at the far outside, then we're missing at sea" float plan.)
But the USCG response in anything like this is incredibly efficient.

That boat could well be out of the country by now, every day counts. The USCG can probably also give you contact information for the nations where it might already be. Run the numbers, time since they left Burnt Island times five knots, run that out on a map and contact "the law" in all those places. It only gets larger every day you wait.

Unless they are adrift at sea "We couldn't find a phone" doesn't carry much weight these days.

If they previously paid you by check or something else you deposited? Find your copy, or get a copy from your bank, that name/account information may be useful for the authorities (or you) to trace on them also. In theory (don't believe too much CSI) there may be fingerprints on your copy of the sale papers, that can also be used to identify them. Carefully place the docs in a paper bag to preserve them, make copies to show the authorities rather than having everyone paw over them first.

Last edited by hellosailor; 09-22-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2006

RonandKellyPen is on a distinguished road
Thanks for responding and the suggestions Hellosailor. We appreciate reading everything we get because we have been getting new ideas. We can't say too much about what is going on as you can imagine. (we do have a lawyer). The the liveaboard sailing community is basically a small one and we thought we could find them this way. Especially since people who can run off in a boat they have not finished paying for can't be too likeable in anything else they do.

Please check out the pictures (link below). The boat has been renamed "Sea-S-Pray." Last seen in Central Florida around July 2006.

I'm overwhelmed by the responses we have been getting here, through email and on sail anarchy. Thanks everyone and we will keep you informed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronandkellypen/
Old 09-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I did take a look at the photos you posted on Flickr... glad it worked, but I would recommend that you post some higher resolution/larger photos if you have them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
Sorry about of situation, try to this link and post. Good luck
http://http://www.sailingpoint.com/pp.shtml
Old 09-24-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
sorry try this
http://www.sailingpoint.com/pp.shtml
Old 09-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That looks like a possibly useful link, but I don't know how much traffic it gets.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-25-2006

I'm not sure how to get bigger pictures on flickr.com. We have gotten so much positive feedback and lots' of helpful hints. I can't say too much here but when this is all resolved I'm going to enjoy telling you all the great details and not so great details. We're hoping for a happy ending but if not we at least enjoyed discovering this forum.
Old 09-25-2006

Bernie K is on a distinguished road
Ron & Kelly:

I wish you luck -- I'm in the Chesapeake area so will keep my eyes open for your boat as I'm out on the water! The pictures have helped.

Bernie
Old 09-26-2006

Thanks Bernie K, we appreciate your eyes out there.
Old 09-26-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ron/Kelly...From Florida they might have crossed to the Bahamas or gone up the ICW. You might want to ask customs in West End and Bimini if they've seen the boat. If they went up the ICW a lot of the bridge tenders keep records of the boat names that pass under them. If they went to Mexico...tracking may be more problematic.
Sorry for your trouble...good luck.