Real Cruisers verse Internet Arguers - SailNet Community
 366Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 318 Old 12-06-2015 Thread Starter
just ducky

Real Cruisers verse Internet Arguers

Don't some ever get tired of the same bah bah bah "discussions" of the small fraction of "blue water" danger sailing? Doesn't it seem that any cruiser sailing around doing day hops or 1-2 passage cruises on a comfortable boat is made out on forums to be some type of lower life form?

I bet by far more cruisers fall into the category of day cruisers that in the distance cruiser world. These are the cruisers normally not sailing more than 50 miles a day between stops. They are out to travel and see things, not spend weeks out in the water. Yes they sometimes spend a couple of days out on a passage to get to a new area, but they are smart enough to wait for the right weather to do so.

Lets stop suggesting these cruisers and their comfortable boats are some lower life form and start giving them their due credit for being the majority of real cruisers verse internet arguers!
JimMcGee, SimonV, tdw and 12 others like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don0190; 12-06-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don0190 For This Useful Post:
chuck5499 (12-09-2015), oldragbaggers (3 Weeks Ago), redfishnc (12-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 318 Old 12-06-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Real Cruisers verse Internet Arguers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I bet by far more cruisers fall into the category of day cruisers that in the distance cruiser world. These are the cruisers normally not sailing more than 50 miles a day between stops.
Based on a lot of data and research from my volunteer work at the Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) including three years on the Board of Directors and a year as President I can say with assurance that your observation is correct.

That doesn't make discussion about passage making any less interesting or the reality that many more people will dream of crossing oceans than ever do.

I fully concur that there is no excuse for denigrating those whose cruising dreams and plans are more benign. Those who choose to motor the US AICW and hop to the Bahamas may still be interested in those fewer people who cross oceans, or even just jump offshore from Norfolk to the Abacos. Why "grade" people based on what makes them happy?

This is NOT about being politically correct. It is about being courteous and respectful of others. If you expect etiquette in an anchorage you should express it on the Internet.

For those that find reading about distant shores and the people who visit them and a tremendous resource for the cruising sailor whatever their horizons may be I recommend SSCA (http://ssca.org).
Jeff_H, chall03, JimMcGee and 8 others like this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #3 of 318 Old 12-06-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

I admit I am a little confused. Perhaps as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I am unaware of "cruisers" putting down people who coastal, ICW, whatever. As far as offshore cruising goes, "many are called but few are chosen." I was totally unprepared mentally for the challenge of offshore cruising. Not only solo sailing 100's of NM offshore, but the days of boredom as you make your 100 or 120 miles per day. Of course then the exciting moments when the weather hits or something breaks. I have never, to my knowledge, put down anyone who does not choose this life.

If I was going to [rant on] if would be those who have an opinion on everything and knowledge of nothing. Unfortunately IMHO there are a fair number of them on this and every other sailing/boating forum. [/rant on]

I agree. One should be polite, share knowledge (real knowledge) and as the Seven Seas Cruising Association says: Leave a clean wake. Not only on your boat, but in your life and your Internet postings.

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot

Last edited by svzephyr44; 12-07-2015 at 07:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to svzephyr44 For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (12-08-2015)
post #4 of 318 Old 12-06-2015

That "small fraction of blue water danger sailing" is very relevant because it can kill you and all those on board. It may be just that one day in 5 years of cruising, but it can be a last day for all those on board. Those who lived through such dangerous hours tend to keep it in their memory and bring it up from time to time.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
nolatom (12-07-2015)
post #5 of 318 Old 12-06-2015

Poor Don...

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #6 of 318 Old 12-06-2015 Thread Starter
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Poor Don...
Have no idea what you are talking about. My guess is you are just trying to find a way to get an argument of some type going.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 318 Old 12-06-2015

Much of it may be where you choose to "hang out" on the internet. This forum and, say, sbo, have more coastal cruisers, while cruisersforum has more long distance skippers.

In all cases, though, elektricty seems to be a bane for sooo many. None of us were born electricians, we spent time learning, and now, with the internet, there's really no excuse to start a thread with: "I know nothing about elektricity, it scares me, I refuse to crack a book, but I have a lot of old wiring. What do I do?"

THAT'S the crap that REALLY riles me.
jwing likes this.

Stu Jackson, C34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#)
post #8 of 318 Old 12-06-2015
Master Mariner

Very interesting way to put things.
I've always said, "Rocks sink many more boats than the sea." IMO there's a lot more danger in sailing onshore than offshore. Offshore sailing is more like 99.9% sheer boredom and .1% sheer terror, than some form of " "blue water" danger sailing".
Perhaps there is a cockiness and a bit more roll in the gait of those who have crossed oceans under sail, but prejudice for those who haven't, I don't see it.
Almost everybody I encounter here in the Antilles has done at least 1000 miles of open water sailing, just to get here. Some may not consider that 'crossing' an ocean, but it's offshore sailing just as much as a run from the Canaries to St. Lucia, and it CAN be 1000 miles of pounding to windward, rather than the gentle downwind run of a TransAt.
However, in all my travels I think the AICW is by far one of the most fun AND challenging 1000 miles one can do on any boat. Who in their right mind (unless they've not done the AICW) would consider that a simpler, safer voyage than Charleston/Norfolk to the VI? What is it every sailor wants most when things get difficult? "sea room" There ain't much of that in the ditch, and there are a lot more extremely vicious thunderstorms in the ditch than one would encounter going from Charleston/Norfolk to the VI.
I respect anyone who can do the AICW without damaging their vessel or running aground with a 5'+ draft. Now THAT takes attention and concentration! It's not like letting your boat wander a dozen miles off course over 2000 miles, through inattention or laziness ("Naw, I don't feel like rigging the preventer just now, so hold that course until I do. Thanks").

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 12-06-2015 at 04:18 PM.
post #9 of 318 Old 12-06-2015

Yeah, I'm going to challenge the premise here. I don't think there's an attitude here or elsewhere that coastal cruisers are a lower life form or in any way less than bonafide sailers. It may be the perception of some coastal cruisers that they're held in lower regard, but it's a fallacy of their own making.

I'm a coastal cruiser on the Great Lakes, and have a respect for those who sail across oceans, but I don't have any real desire to do so myself (or fear of it for that matter). My sailing consists mostly of daysailing out of the marina that my house is adjacent to, and the occasional trip up the coast for a few days. I'm entirely happy with it, and wouldn't change, and if anyone were to think my style of sailing is deficient they'd be the fool. You're in charge of your own self esteem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Siamese For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (12-07-2015)
post #10 of 318 Old 12-06-2015
Last Man Standing

Personally, I don't think there is a bias against coastal sailors on SN - it's much more a bias against the boats...which you get on most sailing forums.

That said, I've probably been challenged more than anyone to measure the "Offshore Wienie" by dudes who feel the need to brag about their miles...miles that have never made them any less wrong. But it's always fun.
zeehag and SloopJonB like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.