Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009

Matt6061 is on a distinguished road
Starwind 22

I have a 83 Starwind 22
Has anyone here replaced a front hatch on one of these boats before?
Need some details which company offers a replacement that will fit in the factory "Grey Enterprise Marine" hatch location up forward?
Thanks Members! Me hatch be leaking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2009
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
Talking Repaired My hatch

My hatch was so bad that the plastic glass was falling out. I took the pieces to Lee & Cates Glass and they made me a new one for $23.00. You can Google Grey enterprises marine for a phone number ( they are in Tampa) I fixed the locking knobs with wooden drawer pull knobs , drilled a hole in them and glued the brass feral's in. They work good. The Keel coast some real money to fix. I had it fixed in green Cove Springs in Florida. The keel had been glued in with 5200 sealant and they had to cut the keel pen with a body saw. The pen is stainless steel but the mounting plates are just steel and were rusted beyond repair. They also refinished the keel with Osfro rust killer and then they coated it with Epoxy reasons. All the new parts they made for the keel was stainless steel. The Guy said that I would be dead 50 years before that keel would fall out. That was reassuring. Happy sailing.
Old 11-06-2009

Keel cost?

How much did all that cost!? Also called the Grey E Marine number ,and it appears they are no longer around. Would like some details on that Stainless conversion any how!?
Thanks Matt6061

Last edited by Matt6061; 11-07-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2009
smillinjack

I spent around $2000 getting the Keel fixed ,all stainless steel hardware and pin. They had to special make the plats. Sailed it this weekend in big winds and it worked great. I am now working on fixing leaks with TL 5200. It never ends.
Have fun SEE YA.
Old 11-08-2009

Leaks

Yeah U right! Have not had mine in the water Yet! What kind of leaks are u having Sir? I imagine I will have to use a yard as well. How long did the keel repairs take time wise?
Thanks again Matt6061
Old 11-15-2009

maluhiia is on a distinguished road
I am looking at a Starwind 19. The owner says he "thinks" it is a 1983. My biggest concern is that the boat has no stanchions. Looking at other Starwind 19's online all have stanchions. This boat seems to have never had stanchions (no holes in deck). Is this normal for these boats? If not, what is up with this boat? How much would it cost to add stanchions? Thanks
Old 11-15-2009

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
The Starwind 190 was the first boat I ever owned all by myself...wow!

Malhuiia - you should be able to verify the year model of the boat through the HIN (Hull Identification Number) on the upper right corner of the transom. If the boat isn't where you can physically see it, have the owner do a pencil tracing of the number and email it to you - or read it over the phone. The last two numbers of the HIN indicate the year model.

Stannchions were an option when ordering the boat from the factory...don't have a clue as to cost to add...
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 11-15-2009

maluhiia is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. Yes, this will be the "next boat" for us. We have lived on several (Catalina 27, Watkins 27, Gulfstar 41) while in FL and the Bahamas. Now we are landbound in Ohio (long story). We are looking for a trailerable boat, but also seaworthy for mostly lakes in this area and coastal sailing in FL and the Keys. We do have 2 children and stanchions are a real concern, both for sail management and child management. Thank you and checked out your blog...wonderful reading.
Old 11-16-2009

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
The blog hasn't been updated in a while, but will be this next week - so please check back, and thanks for the compliment!

My wife and I sailed our 190 between Miami and the Keys quite often, as well as the along the GA coast. She was a fine little boat for that and held up well, considering all we put her through!

Good luck -
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 11-20-2009
smillinjack

I have an old Apollo 20 that has no stanchions also . A lot of the smaller boats are like that. What I did was use center lines to hold onto to go forward. I have stanchions on my Starwin 22 but they are short and not much better than no stanchions. I think adding them would coast a lot . SEE YA