SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Starwind Owners

52K views 91 replies 24 participants last post by  WM4MM 
#1 ·
Any Starwind owners interested in exchanging info/specs? New owner ''85 Starwind 223. Have some review type literature, looking for more techs.

#80 ·
I have an old Apollo 20 that has no stanchions also . A lot of the smaller boats are like that. What I did was use center lines to hold onto to go forward. I have stanchions on my Starwin 22 but they are short and not much better than no stanchions. I think adding them would coast a lot . SEE YA

#82 ·
There are only four stanchions on my 22 starwind with 1/4 inch cable that is coated with vinyl ,it has a quick release that hocks into the stern pulpit. If you plan to sail offshore they may be handy . I will have to look in the cabin and see if I see the hardware below deck. Good luck with your boat.

#84 ·
There is a starwind forum site that has some of the specs you can look at as well as start up posts. I have found some very interesting facts about the starwind since joining that forum as well.

the national spindrift assoc. web site has a forum where you can get a lot of information. (starwinds dot com)

I have a starwind 19 that I have just purchased it is in great shape. thankfully I'm not going to have to do much work to.

#85 ·
Starwind 22 Rudder Replacement

I have just acquired a Starwind 22 from an acquaintance. Long story short, it has no rudder. The rudder is lost and the top gudgeon is sheared off. I can get a rudder from the Resale shop and replace the fittings, but cannot find any information on the Rudder size - height and width. Any info out there?

#86 ·
I have just acquired a Starwind 22 from an acquaintance. Long story short, it has no rudder. The rudder is lost and the top gudgeon is sheared off. I can get a rudder from the Resale shop and replace the fittings, but cannot find any information on the Rudder size - height and width. Any info out there?
There's a company in the Tampa, Florida area called Foss Foam, Inc. You may want to try them; they're one of the best resources around.

Website link: NewRudders.com » About Us

#92 ·
I once owned a Starwind 223. Wish I still did. I've sailed many trailer sailors, including Catatalina 22 and Oday. These were considered the best boats at the time. I can definitely say compared to the Starwind 223 by Rebel or Wellcraft are notably better. Catalinas are like sailing a dingy and very squirrelly. The Oday was more sedate but unless modified have a bad weather helm. The Starwind if overdriven has a heavy weather helm (it would actually bend the tiller) but ease off a bit and the helm becomes neutral and the boat actually speeds up and heal is reduced. Its been in 50 knot winds and 6 foot seas. I felt safe.
I would love to find one for sale that I could afford. (retired very tight budget).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.