SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Starwind Owners (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/2294-starwind-owners.html)

pioneer 09-26-2001 10:15 AM

Starwind Owners

Any Starwind owners interested in exchanging info/specs? New owner ''85 Starwind 223. Have some review type literature, looking for more techs.

texas bob 10-28-2001 04:35 AM

Starwind Owners

I recently purchased a Starwind 19" in really bad condition. It floats--thats about all I can say. I don"t have much info--no manual or specs, etc. but would be happy to pass on whatever help I can.
Anchors aweigh and all that jazz, Bob

texas bob 10-28-2001 05:22 AM

Starwind Owners

Me again:
Maybe you can help me. Does your Starwind have a combonation keel/centerboard? If so, do you know how to change the line on the centerboard up-haul from INSIDE the boat? Or do you have to do it from outside? Also, my backstay is "sloppy " loose and the turnbuckle is turned all the way tight. What good does the backstay do, or am I using it wrong? Thanks, Bob

wfeaster1 11-25-2001 06:00 AM

Starwind Owners

I had a Starwind 19 , sweet little boat , Any info avalable might be had from Wellcraft Marine if they have any left in there arcives .
Answers ; center board line must be changed from outside the boat , don your diving gear or on the lift .
aft guy loose ? Mast is swept back too far , you need to loosen side stays and tighten with fore stay , this should help

jlhnlh 12-23-2001 02:25 PM

Starwind Owners

I had the boat lifted up and we could see most of the area the center board retracts into . I understand the best way to change the center board line is to anchor in 3 feet water and and the board will drop down enough, tie the new line tothe old line.
, go underthe boat and feel for the old line ,it goes thru a hole in the center board, pull your new line thru and tie a knot in the end, and pull the center board up, the hole is at the top and at the rear all that holds it is a knotin the line . my board is solid fiberglass weighs adout 40 lbs and being all fiberglass should never give any problem

alyse 01-17-2002 11:14 AM

Starwind Owners

Hello! I''m glad I found this message board. I have a Starwind 223 and someone was kind enough to copy an old owner''s manual for me. I''ll be happy to make you a copy for the cost of postage. It''s not in the best of shape, having been copied from other copies, but it''s very informative. Where do you sail?

Alyse

texas bob 02-03-2002 05:15 AM

Starwind Owners

Hi Alyse,
Yes, I would very much appreciate a copy of your Starwind manual. How can I contact you re: postage expense, etc? My boat was in terrible condition but it is coming along nicely and I''ve sailed it in Lake LBJ in Cental Texas Hill Country. Where do you sail? Thanks again, Bob

alyse 02-05-2002 01:04 PM

Starwind Owners

Hi Bob,

I found a site that''s devoted to Starwind/Chrysler boats. I learned from someone on the sailnet.com message board that Chrysler owned the designs and bought them back from Wellcraft. Anyway, here is the site - http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/3135/

You can download the PDFs he has online, listed under the Chrysler name. They are the same specs that I have, but will be in better shape since my copy has been copied a zillion times.

I sail in Barnegat Bay, NJ. My boat was in bad shape too when I bought it, but it cleaned up beautifullly and seemed to withstand quite a bit of abuse (from the former owners).

Alyse
alyse@geocities.com

piep 02-05-2002 03:33 PM

Starwind Owners

Hi Alyse, Is your boat actually a Starwind 223, or just a Starwind 22. From my understanding they are different boats, and the Boat that Wellcraft bought from Chrysler was a Starwind 22, and the Starwind 223 was created later by Starwind. I have a Starwindd 223, which has a wider beam, 8''6", and a loger LOA 22''3" as apposed to the 22''s 7''9" beam and 22''0" LOA. The 22 also has a swing keel, as apposed to the 223''s shoal keel with centerboard. If I am wrong please correct me.

alyse 02-06-2002 02:48 PM

Starwind Owners

Hi piep,

I''ll have to check the beam and LOA measurements again. If the shoal keel with centerboard is the deciding factor, then my boat sounds like the Starwind 223. The specs that I have didn''t come with the boat (it''s an ''86). The keel is 1''11", with the centerboard swinging up and down on a line through the cockpit - I forget the proper term ;) With the board down, she draws about 6''.

Do you mean that the Starwind 223 was created later by Wellcraft?
Alyse