Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
passports to major geopolitics

From a simple question about passports to major geopolitics, now that's what I call thread drift.

To those of you too young to remember, what started all of this radical Islam, was the Unitied Nations creating the state of Israel and then guarrenteing Israel's right to exist. This was a conserted effort praised by all except those poor folks who happened to live in the territory used to create the state of Israel. Those folks weren't happy about it then, and in nearly 60 years events haven't calmed them or their decendants down.

Before you begin to spout off about nuclear weapons, walk a mile in their shoes. If someone took my home and told me to get out, I'd have to do something about that, and so would all of you.

This is one of life's problems for which there is no solution.

As a citizen of the United States, all I can hope for is that our leaders' envision a responsible foreign policy which keeps those 'radicals' away from me and mine. The current administration seems to be ignoring this basic fact of the way of the world, and as a result, we are all in harms way.

My humble opinion

Rick in Florida
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2006

Shack is on a distinguished road
Hello Sailor? . . . you got yankee dolla?

Congratulations!! "Federal Republic" you passed 10th grade government! That must be where the kool aide was served Very enlightening.

Saying that the Americans run the country is a way of saying that they get a vote. You shouldn't read too much into it, my lad. Of, by, and for the people is still a republican ideal. However, next time you want to display the weaknesses of democracy you should instead quote Tyler. Two hundred years ago he wrote "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. When the voters discover that they can vote themselves a largesse from the public treasury the majority will always vote for the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy and is always followed by a dictatorship." and Blah blah blah etc
. . . I think he's right.
But Americans still run this country - just not at the 30 min sitcom tempo that many desire.

Now go ahead an put your finger to your temple close your eyes and say,"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. (pause) Oh joy, rapture!"

About Planes - I think you lack some technical understanding in this area.
You qoute," . . .but they *could* easily divert and land on foreign soil. Given their speeds, quite possibly more likely than a pokey old sailboat."

No flight gets into the US without filing a flight plan. If it doesn't file it gets tracked and chased. I've seen it, and I've helped. Each of these planes is either followed to a landing spot to straighten out the mess with DHS, Customs, and DEA. Usually someone gets arrested, and he sues the gov't. Do you recall hearing the radio calls on VHF Guard "Unknown Rider, Unknown Rider, at (POS). Contact Green Crown on freq (XYZ) of you will be intercepted." ? Oh well ... you may be unfamiliar with international flights rules and the ADIZ procedures. There no where to divert and "pick-up" anyone without drawing an awfull lot of attention. You can sleep well in this regard.

Passports are a good thing. . .
Old 09-20-2006

Rickm 505

Israel, 1948 - right.
That was the Brits fault.
Of course there were "Jewish" insurgents back then.
But before the Brits - the Turks ran the place.
They kinda had it between Persians since the middle ages
Of course the Christians tried to get it back when the Persians took it.
That didn't go so well, but I think the Christians/Romans really did in the Jewish people when they sacked Judiah, (not the Persians). The Persians just kicked out the Christians! TWICE.
The Christians got Iberia (Spain) back from the Moors, but that was about all they did to regain the old Roman/Byzantium -hood. At least they got street cred.
Then of course you can't forget that before Judiah there were the Philistines (i.e. Palitinians). But I think Alexander really took the cake when he took the whole damn thing all the way to Western India/Pakistan!

Maybe the Greeks should get the land back since one could argue that they had it first - all would be happy then.

SOLVED
Now lets talk about Global Warming.

Passports are a good idea . . .
Old 09-20-2006

zfactor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SOLVED Now lets talk about Global Warming.
Well, I don't think it exists...but I will support anything that will drive up the value of my sailboat!
Old 09-22-2006

OK - Passports vs Global Warming

Any takers . . .

Going . . . going . . .

If global warming causes changes in the gulf current and significantly alters the climate, would there be a possibile need for more passports? . . .as there may be an influx of Canadians who wish to avoid 12 mos of winter? . . .might be more people hitin' the Caribbean, too.

Hmmmm
Old 09-22-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
That would hardly be necessary as te Global Warming would mean a significant rise in sea level, eliminating most of South Florida and the islands.
Old 09-22-2006

Then there would be a need for more boats and boaters . .. they'd all need passports, too.

Think of the new marinas that would be set up! You could dock at Orlando and see the new Venice attraction at EpCot.
Old 09-23-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Radical Islam began in the 7th century. They eat their own. More Muslims are being killed in Afganistan and Iraq than non Muslims.
If global warming changes the gulf stream it will be Europeans that will be invading the southern climes. Canadians and Americans will be sunning themselves on the shores of Hudson Bay. Bring your passports or you won't be going back to the USA.
Old 09-23-2006

Maybe I should get dual citizenship as a Canuk in order to postion myself for the big day! . . . eh?

I'm sure a turn in the WX would bring somemore NHL expansion teams.

Re: Holy War - more Amercans are being killed in places like LA, Detroit & DC than overseas. The combat losses don't even come close to the losses in military perosnnel from motorcylces, jetskis, no-seatbelts and DWIs.
Old 09-23-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
With Florida under water the Lightning and Panthers will need a new home ...Churchhill Manitoba and Moose Factory Ontario both on Hudson Bay sound good.
Shack,you might need dual citizenship if they go ahead with the fencethey are talking about. I see now that fence is not to keep the crazy Canuks in Canada but to keep the Americans from escaping once the big heat hits.