Non-inflatable life vest and harness? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-11-2015 Thread Starter

Non-inflatable life vest and harness?

Does anyone know if anyone makes a non-inflatable life vest that also works as a harness? I.e., it had D-Rings to attach a tether.

cung cap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gia re, dich vu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-11-2015

Re: Non-inflatable life vest and harness?

I've never seen one, but hopefully you can find one. It may be easier to buy a separate harness if you absolutely don't want an inflatable PFD, and the reason(s) can't be mitigated.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-11-2015

My Google-fu failed to turn up a non-inflatable w/harness.

post #4 of 26 Old 12-11-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

Swiftwater rescue PFDs have D rings for a tether but unfortunately they are in the back. I have not seen one with it in the front.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-11-2015
░░░░░░░░░░

In my limited experience I've never met one. I think this is because anything less than a Type1 would be useless offshore, and a Type1 is so damned cumbersome no one would want to wear it while working on deck. So...part of the question would be wheter you are looking for a Type1? Or something less serious? For what type of use?
post #6 of 26 Old 12-11-2015

Force 1 used to make vests and coats with built in harness. I have two of each , and they aren't bad to wear....Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #7 of 26 Old 12-11-2015
still boatless

I've been thinking about trying a harness in conjunction with some of the newer kayaking PFD's (like the Astral SeaWolf) but I am not optimistic.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-12-2015

I've seen one in real life. Another student worse it in a safety at sea course since they do a lot of spring & fall sailing on the Great Lakes.

Salus makes one: Salus Marine | Coastal - Salus Marine Leg straps are optional.
Crew saver has a foam PFD that also has buoyancy chambers if you're a belt and suspenders type: Inshore 380N | Crewsaver
wymbly1971 likes this.

post #9 of 26 Old 12-12-2015

Should not be too hard to make one, by attaching a good harness to your favorite life vest. Few stitches here and there and you should be all set.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 26 Old 12-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In my limited experience I've never met one. I think this is because anything less than a Type1 would be useless offshore, and a Type1 is so damned cumbersome no one would want to wear it while working on deck. So...part of the question would be wheter you are looking for a Type1? Or something less serious? For what type of use?
Your argument for Type I PFD could fall into the automatic inflation verses manual inflation debate. Additional issues that I see with typical inflatable PFD's is that you can not swim for crap and it drastically reduces any attempt to self rescue. I have spent quite a bit of time around white water rivers and know the ability to swim while wearing a PFD can make the difference between life and death. The type I inflatables have taken the life of a number of sailors trapped under boats and washed into surf on lee shores. I also believe that a foam PFD offers another level of protection against blunt force trauma and expousure. One of the most common injuries during fast net disaster was broken ribs. Foam vest could have prevented that injury. The trade offs I see for foam is that it could be too warm to be comfortable, and generally not type I to float unconscious person face up. I believe Medsailor had a good threat discussing some of these issues earlier this year.

I don't believe that the foam PFD's have reached the level of craftsmanship for sailors as the white water PFDs. I ware mine all the time and find it comfortable and convenient. I believe it has more to do with market forces. I assume it would not take much to re-engineer the swift water rescue PFD with D rings in front but there is no market.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.