SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Desparately Need Information (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/22999-desparately-need-information.html)

Fridge 09-15-2006 08:59 AM

Desparately Need Information

I'm currently on assignment in the Middle East and much of our e-mail capability was just terminated.

OK, I have a Down East 38 and am considering installing a Fischer Panda 4KW generator in the engine room. Since I have just been cut off from the Down East Owners site, can anyone help me with my questions?

I would like to know if the Panda Generator (at 260 lbs) would present a weight/balance issue if installed in the engine room? If so, is there an alternate suggestion?

I appreciate all the information I can get on this subject.

btrayfors 09-15-2006 09:57 AM

I assume you mean the DownEaster 38, designed by Henry Morschladt and built by Down East Yachts in Santa Ana, CA. This is a heavy displacement cruising boat...19,500lbs displacement on a 29' waterline, and 8,000lbs internal ballast.

I'm no naval architect, but I doubt seriously if the F-P generator installed in the engine room would make any difference at all, other than provide more ballast low down. It would be like carrying an extra crew member, crouched in the engine room :-))

BTW, I've heard that F-P has overcome some of their earlier problems, and they have an aggressive and very supportive U.S. rep. This is a good thing. Again, I assume you are talking about a NEW F-P generator.

If not, you might want to consider another one, such as the NextGen 3.5 or 5.0KW models which are built on Kubota engines and are very robust (I have a 3.5KW model).

Good luck,

Bill
S/V Born Free

sailingdog 09-15-2006 10:54 AM

I'd have to agree with Bill. If the FP genset is reasonably close to centerline and that down low in the boat, I seriously doubt it will have any detrimental effect on the boat's balance or trim.

Dewey Benson 09-15-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
I'd have to agree with Bill. If the FP genset is reasonably close to centerline and that down low in the boat, I seriously doubt it will have any detrimental effect on the boat's balance or trim.

The engine room is pretty far aft in that vessel, and the engine itself sits relativly high just behind the companionway ladder. I have seen some very small gen sets installed to the side and above the engine hieght (due to shape of hull) that did not overtly affect the boat trim. I have seen reasonable deck mount gas gens in boxes that seemed to be effective.

When you bought that vessel, were you a young officer on an Arliegh Burke class cruiser, based in San Diego?

Dewey

Fridge 09-16-2006 09:52 AM

BTRAFFORS:

Yep, that's the boat although the name has gone through some changes since the boat was in production. Originally it was two words - Down East. I guess my main concern was the weight and location - the engine already sits about as aft as possible and the generator would be on the port side located about where the rear of the engine is. I just didn't want to put too much weight to the far aft and to one side and then have to put all the beer on the other side of the boat for balance.

F-P has come out with a newer version of their older generators and this one is a 4 KW and is supposed to be quieter than typing on your keyboard. If they now have the support group in place to manage any problems then this becomes a very attractive unit because of it's size, noise level and economy of usage. This 4 KW is also a match for my 30 amp system that will allow me to run my AC unit along with other 110 accessories while keeping the batteries charged.

Thanks for the input.

Fridge

Fridge 09-16-2006 09:56 AM

Sailingdog,

I tend to agree with what you and Bill have mentioned. This is a struggle because I've just been cut off from the Down East web page because of computer use issues in the Middle East. Thus, I cannot contact any of the existing Down East owners (as I used to) to get their input. I'm hoping, as you have suggested, that my 8,000 ballast is more than enough to keep her trim even with a generator on board.

Fridge

Fridge 09-16-2006 09:56 AM

Sailingdog,

I tend to agree with what you and Bill have mentioned. This is a struggle because I've just been cut off from the Down East web page because of computer use issues in the Middle East. Thus, I cannot contact any of the existing Down East owners (as I used to) to get their input. I'm hoping, as you have suggested, that my 8,000 ballast is more than enough to keep her trim even with a generator on board.

Fridge

Fridge 09-16-2006 10:00 AM

Dewey,

Thanks for the information - sorry to say I was not a young Naval Officer. I did spend time in the Air Force and was an Officer during my second try at military life. I have since gone on and hold a 100 Ton Master license - which is now pretty common stuff.

Looks like I'll be putting in a generator. I really liked the analogy of someone (a passenger) sitting in the engine room.

Fridge