Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006

flatlander is on a distinguished road
Webb Chiles website

Some of you may know my name and I would like to let you know that I recently set up a website with some of my writing and photos. I invite you to check it out at www.inthepresentsea.com

Webb Chiles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Hi Webb. I will try to avoid turning this thread into a gushing tribute you to you! But I guess I have to go first and take the blame if the thread goes South.
I have read everything you have written and really enjoyed every page. I read some of your materials for inspiration during my own single handed trips. Love the Website. My favorite part: The List, (Marriages). You keep busy my man!

Last edited by Surfesq; 09-16-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2006

Thanks for looking at the site and the kind words. The marriages may have been more dangerous than the voyages. Webb aka flatlander because I am presently in Evanston, IL, waiting to go back to my boat in New Zealand next month.
Old 09-16-2006

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I just read some of the stuff....WOW. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-16-2006

I love New Zealand, it is an absolutely beautiful and mystical place. I have been over there helicopter skiing on the South Island twice and surfing on both Islands. Its beautiful.
My favorite memory of NZ involves a particular day on top of a Mountain in the Buchanan Range. They have these pesky Parrots (Kea) that are quite menacing looking. They kind of sneak up on you. You glimpse at them one moment and turn away....you look again and they are just a bit closer. It continues until they are close enough to snag something from you. They are notorious for chewing the rubber gaskets on the helicopters. Its such a problem that the pilots have to remain with the helicopters to repeatedly run them off.
Old 10-07-2006

Webb:

I loved your article this month in Cruising World. You advocate moving aboard in preparation for long term cruising. There are those who would argue the opposite...They claim that by living aboard you delay the departure date because you actually increase your ties to land. The boat no longer representing the departure vehicle but rather a floating home.
I agree with your take but I wonder if you could give some advice to avoid falling into this trap?
Old 10-25-2006

Hello,
Sorry I haven't checked back here for a while. I'm getting ready to fly back to my boat in New Zealand in a few days.

I think I explained the reasons for moving aboard in the article and can only add that the boat is in fact going to be your floating home and the sooner the better. If you really want to go, I can't see any way your ties to land will be increased by moving aboard. If you--and I use that in the general sense--are kidding yourself and don't really want to go, you will always find excuses. I seem to recall a character in one of Steinbeck's books, either CANNERY ROW or TORTILLA FLAT, who was always building his boat and never quite getting it in the water.

Webb
Old 10-25-2006

AlainPOIRAUD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander
Some of you may know my name

Webb Chiles
Hi Webb, very pleased to read your post and I will go direct to your Web page too..

Alain Poiraud, (the designer of your Spade anchor.)
Old 10-27-2006
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Hello Webb. I met you a year and a half ago at an anchorage in Tonga where Bob Bitchin and I interviewed you for "Latitudes & Attitudes TV". If you are interested, I have a short Windows Media video excerpt from that episode which I could email to you (it is 7.8 MBs). I really enjoyed RETURN TO THE SEA, and the poems on your site are powerful. I'm glad you have posted them for all to read. Have fun when you get back to HAWKE in NZ!

- Darren
Old 12-25-2011

Kanani45 is on a distinguished road
Merry Christmas Webb

Just wanted to wish you all the best

Wayne Avery

You've gotta remember Suva Yacht Club '85 (2:AM).......... 2 Fakafini's + 1 drunk American dragging anchor (under motor) wrapped up all of our anchors...... one of my favorite sailing stories.