Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006

SaltyGirl is on a distinguished road
Hampton VA Marinas

I am considering moving my boat (s/v 43') to Hampton VA. What are the best marinas, and what are the sailing conditions? What is the atmosphere of the town and marina community? Any recommendations regarding which marinas are best for sailboats? I have always kept my boat in Oriental, NC, but Hampton is the same driving distance from home, and will provide a chance to sail in the Chesapeake. I am usually limited to short duration trips of 3-7 days and this relocation will give me a new area to explore. Oriental NC is a fabulous sailing community, and I want to be sure that I won't be disappointed if I move the boat to a new location.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
having grown up in that area (hampton roads), the sailing is wonderful..then again i'm pretty partial to the chesapeake bay anyway. something worth considering..as i understand it, hampton has done away with personal property tax on boats to encourage people to keep their boats there.although i can't recommend one marina over another..hampton is a pretty cool place that has quite a bit to offer. there has been a significant redevelopment of that area over the past few years.
keep in mind that hampton roads harbor is a pretty busy place w/ commercial traffic (not to mention aircraft carriers, destroyers and submarines).
i think you''ll really enjoy sailing the Bay..so many great places to explore and see.

sam
S/V Sanctuary
Old 09-16-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hampton/Norfolk and Portsmouth all have done away with personal property tax. The main thing is to try to find someplace with easy access to the Bay as inside the tunnel crossing is pretty heavily traffiked. Here's a link to info on the downtown Hampton marinas. You might also consider the norfork side as willoughby bay and little creek have lots of marina slips and quick acccess to the bay. One of my favorite marinas is Salt Ponds which is right on the Bay in the Hampton area but there has been a lot of shoaling in the entrance channel (and dredging). Don't know what you draw, but it is definitely a nice marina and worth checking out.
As the the "will I enjoy it" question. The area and the rest of the bay offer a lot more to do and see and more open sailing than Oriental (nice as it is!). We cruised the bay for 20+ years and still had lots of spots we missed! The only real downside to the Chesapeake from my perspective is the stinging nettles which make it impossible to jump off the boat and go swimming for most of the summer in most places. Marinas with swimming pools are highly recommended!
Old 09-17-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Stayed at Salt Ponds Marina Resort. Great place and very convenient to sailing on the Chesapeake. It's a little disconcerting entering the salt pond because it looks like you are just going to beach yourself. Under an agreement with the Army the channel to the salt ponds has to be dreged by them in perpetuity for providing salt to the army during one war. Once inside there's lots of water. Long term dockage rates are very reasonable.
Old 09-21-2006

CptZ is on a distinguished road
Sarah's creek is accross from salt ponds and is also good.

FYI Salt ponds has floating docks, but will be filling in the swiming pool and plowing down the office to put up another set of condo's.